Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Kobold

interesting. Glad i didn't buy it..yet. Would be nice to know other ppls takes on the above
Old 04-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oadina [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think tera has more than a month's life span, especially for you guys. I only made it to 9 or so before getting a bit bored, but things i noticed that were not inline with sucessful mmo's. Maybe someone who made it higher could clarify for me?
1. Mobs did not aggro? They just look at you.
2. no dependency on grouping - every class can solo?
3. Classes were overpowered (ae'ing alone)?
4. too easy in general, forced questing, hate mobs that give (1) exp.

Does it get different/better?
Looool

You didn't even make it off newbie island and you're talking about classes being OP and soloing? Warriors and rogues in everquest are pretty baller all stars at soloing decaying skeletons.

Do not attempt to play mmos if you're unable to critically think and determine that the 10 minutes spent on newbie island may not give you an accurate idea of the game in total.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Orc

Have to agree, I started with zero beta knowledge and made it off newbie island in just a few hours. There is no "forced" questing, I am fairly sure you can grind your way to 60 if that was the route you wanted to go without ever interacting with a quest npc.

Never leaving newbie island I am sure you never got aggro and likely never even died. Of course the game seemed easy and every class looked OP what do you expect during the tutorial phase of the game?

Edit for 20 minute warning! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Cheeto's and Amp in hand, no doze ready for anal insertion.

Ah one more thing, if you were bored with the combat system after 9 levels this is not the game for you! Just an opinion.
Last edited by Wanders; 04-28-2012 at 10:46 AM..
Old 04-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Orc

wonder how many people are clicking play just to see the error over and over again [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Sarnak

Default --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oadina [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think tera has more than a month's life span, especially for you guys. I only made it to 9 or so before getting a bit bored, but things i noticed that were not inline with sucessful mmo's. Maybe someone who made it higher could clarify for me?
1. Mobs did not aggro? They just look at you.
2. no dependency on grouping - every class can solo?
3. Classes were overpowered (ae'ing alone)?
4. too easy in general, forced questing, hate mobs that give (1) exp.

Does it get different/better?
1. Mobs do agro. You will notice it more if you play a melee. Mobs don't agro from casting range even in EQ.
2. Every game has classes that are great solo vs. classes that shine in a group. Even in EQ, the only class that truly can't solo is a rogue. You won't see anyone soloing world bosses or hard modes, which is the only content that probably matters.
3. Yes, you can AE very low trash just like a lvl 12 EQ toon can AE lvl 2s. I'm sure you are referring to the level appropriate targets that are surrounded by trivial "minions". It's game design to make playing more interesting than using one attack 3-5x.
4. If by forced, you mean providing a logical and efficient way to level forces you to follow that path, I guess? Easy content is easy, tough content is tough. It isn't EQ where the most miserable, shittiest levels are the first 20.

I would guess that you rolled a sorc or archer, which are the lowest difficulty rating in the game. Like rolling a necro and saying EQ is easy. If you go for one of the other classes, you will find yourself improving your attack combos, rolls, and other defenses so you can continue quickly without using health pots.

Personally, I think Tera will succeed because of 2 factors:

1. You have an incredible amount of control over your own character. You are rolling, blocking, or setting up a charged attack rather than sitting in a root(here) or getting killed cause your 1 defensive CD is on cooldown when your opponent popped their instant kill macro(WoW). Tera combat involves managing several small factors rather than say, rooting til it sticks and hitting ice comet.
2. Tera has no "WTF is this shit?" skill. Think manaburn, 1 nice stupid button that takes all the complexity and judgement out of PvP. Anyone play Warhammer Online and remember the group heal spell? Healed everyone on the map and didn't require los, for barely more than the cost of a single target heal that required los. Gameplay was reduced to sitting in a hole and hitting 1 key as AP refreshed. Just an example, but just about every other game that has come and gone has one or several grossly out of place skills that ruin gameplay. So far in Tera, individual reaction and judgement means much more than any game skill.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanders [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hear you Sam, if the combat system of this game wasn't what it is, I wouldn't be playing it. I am pretty burnt out on MMO's as well. If this fails which I am fairly confident it wont but I will likely give Diablo 3 a go even though there is limited to no pvp.

I wasn't all that impressed with the Diablo beta, but its Diablo and that itself is enough for me to buy it.

It's funny you mention Dark Souls, I keep going back to it out of love for Demon souls but both games were ruined by dupes. Demon souls was amazing before people learned how to dupe.
ya dupers are gay but damn dark souls pvp is awesome. the ability to invade peoples games to either grief them or make them pay for their sins is great. It sucked when everyone started using ring of fog? (forgot name but invis ring) but they patched that. I was in the forest cov for a few weeks. killed so many people lol
Old 04-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Planar Protector

i wanted to be that one cov where you infect peoples games but i could never get anyone to come after me and I read it was broken. i havent played in 2-3 months though
Old 04-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippett [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippett [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Quote:
Looking for a guild before tera launch p99 pals use voice chat get @ me.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You are all black.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Orc

hush lethdar, do not attempt to answer peoples questions if you are unable to determine what they are asking~

Thank you compulsion. I only played a few hours (to level 9, or possibly even level 11) and started to get the feeling it was going to be a very easy game, no fear of dying. I did run into a field of mobs I was supposed to kill, they all turned to look at me, nothing aggro'd.. then I ae'd them all, alone. It felt a bit odd to say the least. I played a mystic, seemed very self sufficient.

This game is what, $50? and the last mmo's I've played, I wished I could return it after playing a month or two. I assume most of us were unsatisfied with other mmo's, or else we wouldn't be here [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I have more questions!

1. How fast IS the leveling curve? Is it a race to the end, and then the real game begins? or does it feel over when you reach max level?
2. What's grouping like? Do you have your typical trinity roles, tank/dps/heal, or do people find themselves being able to switch roles?
3. Did anyone here get bored of it after playing beta?

I have such a collection of dusty mmos lying around that all disappointed me in the end. I really didn't want to add to it, I would need to get atleast 2 months entertainment out of it to rationalize spending money on it. I never got bored of EQ.. instead I would somehow burn myself out. Then I would take a break, and come back. =) I never managed to burn myself out on another game.

I guess the few hours I played wasn't quite enough to sell me, but I came here looking for more opinions from people who obviously understand what I'm comparing it to. I would like to be talked into it, or out of it. I'm regretting not trying it longer from everyone's feedback. I did appreciate the feedback, though, thank you =)
Old 04-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Banned

I don't care what anybody says, watch the youtube guild vs guild PvP its badass
Closed Thread