Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 07:25 PM
Planar Protector

Default speeding ticket

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...rror-1.2722734

Quote:
The repealed tickets cited “Speeding, Section 95 (1),” when the correct name for the violation was “Speeding in a Designated Construction Zone, Section 95 (1) (b.1).”
My day just got $600 better, I am one of the 2,500
Old 07-30-2014, 07:38 PM
Planar Protector

Talk about Rules Lawyering.....
Old 07-30-2014, 07:41 PM
Banned

Canada.

That shit would never fly in the U.S, that money would've been long spent on some decommissioned 12-ton MRAP for a local sheriff's office, in some small county with 1,100 people.

In fact if people brought this up to prosecutors here, they'd probably keep the money and send you another ticket with the right citation.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:10 PM
Kobold

Could also just not be a douche and stop speeding.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:06 PM
Banned

I hate photo ticketing - If you get pulled over you tend to not break the rule for at least an extended amount of time.

you might go through the same stretch of road 10mph too fast and get like 5 tickets before they send them to you in the mail.

sucks... fuck the robot police.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynnag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Could also just not be a douche and stop speeding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iruinedyourday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hate photo ticketing - If you get pulled over you tend to not break the rule for at least an extended amount of time.

you might go through the same stretch of road 10mph too fast and get like 5 tickets before they send them to you in the mail.

sucks... fuck the robot police.
I feel like I was set-up to begin with. There was like 5 people at my work talking about getting tickets at the same time/place. One guy got multiple.

These mobile radar vehicles are a scam, and all about the money. They deliberatly create confusing signing just to stick drivers with tickets weeks later. A "bill" in the mail 2 weeks later doesn't help safety at all (not criminal becuz they cant prove who was driving, the owner just gets a bill - as opposed to a written ticket).

$1M in 4 days, 3000 tickets, avg ticket = $400

The entire thing was shady from the get-go. The area in question has been a construction area for 2 years, with very little work being done. Then 3 months ago they finally kick it into gear. However the entire time there were never any speed reductions or construction that affected the roadway.

So picture that will you, a 1-km stretch with construction going on all the time, yet never affecting the road at all. Then suddenly, on the friday of a long-weekend, during the day they snuck up a couple small "max 60", without doing ANYTHING else (like hmm construction on the road...).

So no new work... just a couple signs, that probably got blocked by the larger vehicles anyway. Sure enough friday afternoon after work, no one realized these signs were up - but the mobile cameras were sure ready to snap a picture and mail a bill for it a few weeks later with a hefty fine.

And with just their luck, the new law for "Double Fines!!!" was just passed - hence the large avg ticket.

Ontop of that, there were side-roads that didnt even get a chance to see the new "max 60" signs, as the signs were posted past the intersection!! People coming off scurfield, merging into traffic, doing 80, and had no clue what-so-ever.

These camera systems are all a cash grab. http://www.wiseupwinnipeg.com has lotta info about it. cbc even did an article in febuary where they have footage of workers taking down speed signs - they do that before sending the camera cars there. and aparently only like 2 of the 50+ school zones are properly signed.

ya now they have camera cars that dont even sit on the road, they use same guns as police that can narrow in and catch u from far away, they can be parked down a side road, and all u see is the back of their car if u looked.

still only in school/construction, but another new thing as of that july1 weekend - they can now bust u 24/7 even when no workers/school. 2 ppl at my work didnt even know that today.

i read 1 comment, the guy said he only ever sees them there on the weekend, when they can actually make $, at a school.

ohya another thing... lights with cameras have a 1-second shorter yellow !!! thats just makes me mad. they are fucking with the system to take ur money. they have to get paid so the company that leases everything gets paid. not enough tickets is bad for their deal
Old 08-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Planar Protector

how unreasonable is it to suggest that those cameras are recording a live-feed, instead of some highly complicated system of radars timed to cameras?

radar records the time and location, image is pulled from the videofeed at the exact time denoted on the radar corresponding to said camera angle. could easily write a script to do that and just rake in the dough.

around here they said that the cameras are to help the traffic lights change as its more efficient and reliable than weighted sensors.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:00 PM
Planar Protector

phacemelter, I'm not quiet following so I'll address each point separately

Quote:
Originally Posted by phacemeltar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
how unreasonable is it to suggest that those cameras are recording a live-feed, instead of some highly complicated system of radars timed to cameras?
The recording part is not unreasonable at all. In fact I've h4x'd into a few stationary photo radar cams (The ones mounted to poles right before you enter the intersection). There is a user interface that provides a live-stream and also has utilities for license plate recognition. Damn next time I'll take some screenshots haha.

as for the fancy new dragoncam - handheld devices the real police use, (and now the mobile camera drivers hold them up in their hands and point them, while sitting in their car, with a giant flash connected to their front bumper), there is a model that can record video as well.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(note: this guys watching the lanes past the grass - aka the white car)

But video evidence alone, as I think you are suggesting? I don't think a clip of just someone driving would hold up in court, since how could anyone accurately judge the speed from that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phacemeltar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
radar records the time and location, image is pulled from the videofeed at the exact time denoted on the radar corresponding to said camera angle. could easily write a script to do that and just rake in the dough.
Perhaps you're dreaming up my reality? The ones I mentioned above mounted to poles? No humans involved there, maybe just to stamp the envelope before sending the "bill".

Quote:
around here they said that the cameras are to help the traffic lights change as its more efficient and reliable than weighted sensors.
You're talking about a totally different camera system. Those ARE for traffic control. Ours are for sending you a bill in the mail, to fund the new Police HQ.

Check it out here http://www.wiseupwinnipeg.com
Last edited by Grimjaw; 08-01-2014 at 11:08 PM..
Old 08-01-2014, 11:08 PM
Planar Protector

These camera type traps have been popping up at every other red light intersection in my city in the last 10 years. I read somewhere that we will also be getting radar equipped speed limit signs next.

George Orwell warned us didn't he?

I'm moving into the mountains or something asap; where atleast some semblance of freedom exists.
Blueberrii - 60 Mage
Gigglepurr - 60 Shaman
Kids - 60 Rogue
Fornfamnad - 60 Cleric
Old 08-01-2014, 11:10 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So glad they don't have any type of mail violations like that around the north east.

With that said, those types of tickets don't affect your license and insurance since they didn't identify the driver, so atleast you have that.

But I'm curious exactly what they're using. Are they really using radar? Because radar is so unreliable due to the width of it's beam, it could be hitting several cars at once from both sides of the road and it's only going to report back the fastest one.

So it would make more sense if they are using Lidar tied to the cameras, which can be directed at a single lane. If that's the case, get a laser jammer >_> (Only radar jammers are illegal and governed by FCC, Laser is governed by FDA and not illegal).

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Closed Thread