Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Skeleton

I think what a lot of bluebies don't understand is that PvP among solo players is foreplay to grouping / guilding. If the foreplay goes well (fight wasn't completely one sided) you group / guild up. If the fight was completely one-sided, shit gets talked, both players move on, better luck next time. PvP does not have to be antagonistic. It would be akin to shouting obscenities at your opponents every time they kill you in a FPS. That would get tiring fast.

If red had teams, it would be the same as blue. On red you can forcibly clear poopsockers out of the zone and camp their corpses for good measure while you farm. If there were teams, then you are waiting in line to kill dragons behind whatever zerg guild happens to be on your team.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Planar Protector

People keep saying that eq isn't a very good pvp game, but honestly I feel it's even less polished as a pve game. There are a lot of classes that are useless at the high end on blue servers that are much more useful on red servers. If you're contesting a mob on a red server, every class you bring can be put to use, whereas on blue a lot of classes' roles get reduced to doing patch heals or slightly extra dps. I'm sure a lot of people playing druids or rangers on blue sometimes get the feeling that a raid would have done just fine without them, but on a red server there are so many more ways to contribute to a raid, that you rarely feel that way.

Also, pvp is better for roleplaying. On red99 there was a guy who roleplayed a robot from the future, a few people who roleplay as crusaders for justice/anti-PKers, etc. In classic it was pretty common to find people roleplaying as elf (or any race) supremacists, some people just slew evil races, and some people played the game as if it was an FPS and just killed everyone, the list goes on. Eq is a much deeper game when pvp is enabled, and if it weren't for the low population/large number of douchebags I'd prefer the red server to the blue server.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 05-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Fire Giant

Teams

&

A dedicated GM (not guide) with full powers (access to logs etc) who is is tough as nails and resistant to manipulation while still being able to operate in a professional manner. Someone who can control red players who insist on acting like degenerates (cast) who is smart enough not to get baited by trolls. Someone who's main role is to simply manage the non-development portion of the server as well as provide a formal conduit to developers.

<< Hassel the Hoff - Druid of the 55th Grind >>
<< Kassel the Koff - Monk of the 52st Train >>
Old 05-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Banned

I like the uncertainty playing on Red brings. Is this guy going to attack me or say hello? It just adds a little something extra to a fairly unexciting game.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaweedpimp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Id rather be able to attack anyone i want... How annoyed would you be, on a pvp server... when the guy you hate most just so happens to play the same side as you?

might as well be back on blue asking for a line at the frenzy camp.... LOL no thanks
Then continue on your way to oblivion.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaweedpimp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To be fair, none of these chars will have PR, the druid has essentially no MR, seaweed only has about 45 MR. Rest of saves are around 20, so im definately no resisting much.

(i did resist a dizzying wind)
Neither of those players know wtf is going on lol, WTB pumice or at least MR jewelry.

+1 Seaweedpimp
Old 05-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Fire Giant

In my 13 years of EQ in its various forms, I've largely played blue except for a brief but glorious time on SZ when it first launched. Had to take a break due to RL and I still to this day hate that I couldn't stay with it. Was in a smokin guild too. Some of the best players I've ever played EQ or any other game with before or since. Seriously, shout out to any old Gladius Fatalis (I think that's what it was called) people who may be here. That guild was pro and I learned so much during my brief time with it.

Playing EQ pvp is kind of like driving in NYC. The first few times you do it, you think everyone is freaking insane. After a while you realize there is a method to the madness and it actually works great if everyone is on board.

The biggest thing, I think, blue players don't realize about EQ pvp is, while it's a lot harsher and less practical than in other games, certainly less hand-holdy, it breathes whole new life into a game that weve all played over and over and over. It adds randomness that doesn't exist. I can go get Jboots now for any toon on blue I want in a matter of hours. I could never have done that on live because no one knew how the spawn really worked back then. Can I do that on red now? I don't have a toon that can camp it yet, but if I did, would I just be able to do it at leisure? I doubt it. It will be actual work.

If you are blue and curious about what I'm talking about, get on the wiki and browse thru the different classes spell lists. A lot of "crap" that classes get that are barely ever used in PvE takes on a whole new life in PvP....read spells through the prism of pvp and its a whole new game for some classes....Blinds, disempowers, etc....marginally usefull spells sometimes become game changers in PvP. I'm not sure how it is here, but I can remember Rangers being one of the nastiest classes to have to deal with in the hands of a good player....Rangers are supposed to suck, right? Paladins? Not in pvp.

Then it makes you make new use of the world. On SZ we had teams....Evils had all the choice levelling areas so we had to make use of other areas....Got to grind it out with lots of great players in areas we normally wouldnt....out of necessity. My guild, for example, had everyone make their way to Rivervale area so that we could all level up and gear up on Blackened Alloy etc from Runnyeye and Bronze from Highpass. Then we all relocated to Thurgadin and started factioning so we could block evils from getting a foodhold. Or something...it's been a while....but you see what I'm getting at. It forces you to play the game strategicly, not just plan out what gear you want and going to get it. Or just havign to deal with the tactics of a raid. You have to deal with everything.

A lot of the things that turn blue players off about pvp also make sense if you look at it from a PvP perspective rather than a PvE one. Like training. Training was allowed on SZ and that is usually one of the thigns that blue players point to as evidence that pvp is just awful.....Actually, it makes complete sense. If you are going to an area, be prepared for the mobs in that area. When an entire guild of evils (with probably on average a 10 level lead) showed up to raid highpass one day while there was nothing there but a group of us, we were able to hold them off by training guards. Sounds terrbile, but you have to understand OUR territory was being INVADED by a superior force. Training balanced it. They should have come better prepared. And we would have expected the same thing if we had decided to have an outing in Neriak or something. Training is not allowed here, so this is just an example. Or no teams, as was mentioned above. The bluebie that I am, being on a FFA PvP server makes me a little nervous, but it does make total sense. You get a shithead on your same team on a teams server (and you will) it's worse than having enemies around all the time. In short, the harshness of the environment is really what evens it out.

The KEY is never to bitch. Never talk smack. The ones who do are usually pros and they know what they are getting themselves into. Blue civilians are urged to learn before saying ANYTHING to ANYONE. It's like hockey. You take your beating and give a good one yourself here and there people will respect you. You whine or bitch about it, you are marked. Show up with visible stitches and they will make a point of opening them back up for you.

I could go on.....Seriously, if you love EQ and have played for years and have gotten bored with the predictablity, but don't want to go someplace where everything has been changed around where it's not even EQ anymore, but you want a totally different way to play the game we love, RED may be your answer.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekapaug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In my 13 years of EQ in its various forms, I've largely played blue except for a brief but glorious time on SZ when it first launched. Had to take a break due to RL and I still to this day hate that I couldn't stay with it. Was in a smokin guild too. Some of the best players I've ever played EQ or any other game with before or since. Seriously, shout out to any old Gladius Fatalis (I think that's what it was called) people who may be here. That guild was pro and I learned so much during my brief time with it.

Playing EQ pvp is kind of like driving in NYC. The first few times you do it, you think everyone is freaking insane. After a while you realize there is a method to the madness and it actually works great if everyone is on board.

The biggest thing, I think, blue players don't realize about EQ pvp is, while it's a lot harsher and less practical than in other games, certainly less hand-holdy, it breathes whole new life into a game that weve all played over and over and over. It adds randomness that doesn't exist. I can go get Jboots now for any toon on blue I want in a matter of hours. I could never have done that on live because no one knew how the spawn really worked back then. Can I do that on red now? I don't have a toon that can camp it yet, but if I did, would I just be able to do it at leisure? I doubt it. It will be actual work.

If you are blue and curious about what I'm talking about, get on the wiki and browse thru the different classes spell lists. A lot of "crap" that classes get that are barely ever used in PvE takes on a whole new life in PvP....read spells through the prism of pvp and its a whole new game for some classes....Blinds, disempowers, etc....marginally usefull spells sometimes become game changers in PvP. I'm not sure how it is here, but I can remember Rangers being one of the nastiest classes to have to deal with in the hands of a good player....Rangers are supposed to suck, right? Paladins? Not in pvp.

Then it makes you make new use of the world. On SZ we had teams....Evils had all the choice levelling areas so we had to make use of other areas....Got to grind it out with lots of great players in areas we normally wouldnt....out of necessity. My guild, for example, had everyone make their way to Rivervale area so that we could all level up and gear up on Blackened Alloy etc from Runnyeye and Bronze from Highpass. Then we all relocated to Thurgadin and started factioning so we could block evils from getting a foodhold. Or something...it's been a while....but you see what I'm getting at. It forces you to play the game strategicly, not just plan out what gear you want and going to get it. Or just havign to deal with the tactics of a raid. You have to deal with everything.

A lot of the things that turn blue players off about pvp also make sense if you look at it from a PvP perspective rather than a PvE one. Like training. Training was allowed on SZ and that is usually one of the thigns that blue players point to as evidence that pvp is just awful.....Actually, it makes complete sense. If you are going to an area, be prepared for the mobs in that area. When an entire guild of evils (with probably on average a 10 level lead) showed up to raid highpass one day while there was nothing there but a group of us, we were able to hold them off by training guards. Sounds terrbile, but you have to understand OUR territory was being INVADED by a superior force. Training balanced it. They should have come better prepared. And we would have expected the same thing if we had decided to have an outing in Neriak or something. Training is not allowed here, so this is just an example. Or no teams, as was mentioned above. The bluebie that I am, being on a FFA PvP server makes me a little nervous, but it does make total sense. You get a shithead on your same team on a teams server (and you will) it's worse than having enemies around all the time. In short, the harshness of the environment is really what evens it out.

The KEY is never to bitch. Never talk smack. The ones who do are usually pros and they know what they are getting themselves into. Blue civilians are urged to learn before saying ANYTHING to ANYONE. It's like hockey. You take your beating and give a good one yourself here and there people will respect you. You whine or bitch about it, you are marked. Show up with visible stitches and they will make a point of opening them back up for you.

I could go on.....Seriously, if you love EQ and have played for years and have gotten bored with the predictablity, but don't want to go someplace where everything has been changed around where it's not even EQ anymore, but you want a totally different way to play the game we love, RED may be your answer.

A+ post

will read again
Old 05-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekapaug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
... see above ...
Yes yes yes. Great post.

The worst thing with R99 (albeit not as much now) and emulated servers in general is people tend to bring all of their baggage from previous boxes along with them which includes the delusions that a) they're somebody big and important, b) they're the best-of-the-best at the game, c) that someone new can't come along and squash them, d) that being a jackass on the forums or /ooc impresses anyone but themselves and their little nuthugging friends.

I certainly started on Red with a ton of misconceptions about the players and the game. Turns out that I am guilded with great people and the server is full of great enemies. It's a whole new world out there. In-game behavior has just as much of an impact on Red as it does Blue, maybe more so. Griefers tend to be flashes in the pan with little or no sustainability.
Last edited by Zereh; 05-18-2012 at 06:10 PM..
Old 05-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Killing them softly
Closed Thread