Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Planar Protector

its like telling a stoner "yeah i'll sell you a bag sometime in the next like 4 days"

they're still gonna sit around waiting for it
Old 08-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Sarnak

So my question is, Is this roll determined at the spawn of the NPC?

NPC A is killed so NPC A's spawn timer is rolled. The roll puts the respawn in the last 15% of it's window. Is the roll for the time added to the spawn immediately calculated or does it wait until the spawn timer has expired and then reroll the spawn.

If it is calculated at the beginning and there is no chance of us removing variance. Could the roll be as follows.
If NPC A will spawn in the last 15% of its window
then Spawn time is rerolled to to be within the first 85% of the spawn time or to add random hours up to 24 hours.

This would essentially give the NPC 7.5% chance to spawn in "Overtime" instead of the current 15% chance. This may help to reduce the variance times and also keep the extended windows in to prevent poopsocking as it was intended but would just be at a lesser % chance to extend these timers so long.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:55 AM
Planar Protector

pixel addicts will figure out how to get their fix as quickly as possible, no matter what hurdles you put in front of 'em.

no variance, 2 day variance, 4 day+ variance.... the shit is still gonna get burnt up as soon as its available.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:27 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm only new, not in a big guild (heck I mostly solo and haven't even gotten out of level 20 diapers yet!) and while I did play back in 1999 (on firiona vie and sullon zek) I never got in with the major theorycrafters so I guess my opinion might not hold much weight here....

But I always thought of it this way.

Why not make the appearance of heavy hitting raid mobs be a challenge rather than a timed surety?

Now this is from someone who has mostly played on RP servers, so perhaps I'm a bit biased; but I've always thought it would be amazing if raid fights were the result of a series of co-operative events.

For example: To cause venril sathir to appear you would have to 'gather the shards of his phylactery' which could gained by extremely difficult quests in which you have to 1) kill regularly spawning 'uber mobs' that might take something like two groups of level 60 folks to kill 2) gather fragments through foraging (requires something like 20) then have them put together by a special forging process which requires a particular item that only blacksmiths can create and combine 3) cook 20 of a special recipe that had varied ingredients and which would only be sold (and cookable) by a master chef, then given to a quest NPC who would trade you the food items for the phylactery shard (which he had been using as an earring or something)..etc etc... Finally all the shards having to be brought together by a master jewelcrafter with a combine that they would have a 1% chance of actually failing. then giving the finished phylactery to a summoner NPC or something

You get where I'm going here. Something that would involve everyone, allow everyone an opportunity to fight the fella, make it DIFFICULT but not IMPOSSIBLE for small and casual guilds to fight someone like VS while still allowing HUGE guilds to fight the guy without FARMING him. Eliminates poopsocking because all of the parts dont have major respawn timers, and even the megamobs needed for individual parts wouldn't drop ANYTHING but a few copper and the piece. (which is lore etc)

Mind you: the guild could FAIL to defeat the enemy, in which case the rules of courtesy would apply about other guilds not sniping their summon, plus he'd be on a 24 hour despawn timer.

Other than having to code a few npcs and come up with a bit of lore, I don't see why this would be a bad thing? I know it's not 'pure classic' but 'pure classic' had huge problems, why not fix with verant/soe couldn't be arsed to fix in the first place?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiSNkIaJi_U&t=3s
Old 10-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the idea (and i could be wrong, Rogean please correct me if i am) is that if the variance is shortened it will increase the # of players poopsocking.

whereas, with the variance having a chance to reset, players are less likely to poopsock knowing it could be 6 hrs up to 30hrs until pop.

ultimately it's up to the players to decide how they wish to spend their time, you will always have guilds using trackers, but i expect to see a lot less of 100 people on VS or on trak or on any other raid mob spawn spot, because it adds a higher sense of randomness to when the pop will happen

<3

you were wrong.

change it. this is retarded.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Fire Giant

Default x

Explain how he was wrong. Whether you agree with his stated purpose, what was done (increased variance) achieved a greater degree of the stated purposes (less sock).

Proposition #1: If the variance is shortened it will increase the # of players poopsocking.

Here you argue that a smaller window would decrease or not change the amount of players on a given spawn point at a given time. Such a position is not logical, because in fact the pay out chances for standing on spawn point increases over time when the window is set. At a certain point it becomes economical to sit 100 people on a spawn point. This is logical and this is what happened in the last 24 hours regularly.

Proposition #2: With the variance having a chance to reset, players are less likely to poopsock knowing it could be 6 hrs up to 30hrs until pop.

Irrefutable fact, there is dramatically less poopsocking now than before the change. Has there even been a trackanon poop (outside of FE jugg farming) since? For a span there, it seemed there was a trak poop sock with 100+ on spawn once a week for several months.

Proposition #3: i expect to see a lot less of 100 people on VS or on trak or on any other raid mob spawn spot, because it adds a higher sense of randomness to when the pop will happen.

Irrefutable fact. You can't argue otherwise unless you're capable of blocking out reality to stay strong in your position--the kind of person who watches sean hannity or bill mayer (other than for his humor).

Dolic
Last edited by Fael; 10-22-2013 at 11:54 AM..
Old 10-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Fire Giant

As i said: "whether you agree with his (Sirken's) stated purpose" he "is not wrong." /facepalm

I'll try to be more clear: What Motec and your argument is about is not whether he is right or wrong factually, but whether he is right or wrong on a substantive level. (i.e. the stated purpose is bad, not good).

My post did not miss the point: quoting someone and saying "your wrong so change it" is sort of stupid when he is actually correct in what he said. Fight the substantive fight if you want to, but state that you are doing so and not fighting the facts.

Here, you give your substantive argument: If there is ANY poopsocking, then we should just embrace it full tilt. Substantively, you believe it is more fair to have
set spawn timers, so every mob is contested like Noble.

That is a fine argument to have--i disagree because I don't think that is fun--but its a legit argument. I also don't believe it will get people more pixels--but they apparently don't think they get enough now, so any change is good, right? I think it will inevitably lead to more waking up at 3 am than I already do. No thanks.

Dolic
Last edited by Fael; 10-22-2013 at 12:53 PM..
Old 10-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motec [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you were wrong.

change it. this is retarded.
No you are.
It's pretty clear he's become one of the people he described as No-life Nerds and Server Bullies.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Planar Protector

Most effective fix for raid scene would be to remove all raid mobs from the game.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:44 PM
Planar Protector

I think it depends a lot on what you call poop socking. People are still at their computers waiting for the mob to spawn, they just aren't actually logged in.
in words of anal fingers, just a filthy spaniard
Closed Thread