Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy the hybrid XP penalty?
Yes I love it 64 43.84%
No I hate it 82 56.16%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 10:42 PM
Aviak

Default Do you like hybrids having an xp penalty?

One more poll to see if the majority actually enjoy this or not
Old 09-24-2019, 10:48 PM
Fire Giant

They all take more XP from a groups share to compensate for the penalty. I think the idea was "hey, you're a mix of TWO classes in one, that's really good, here you get a penalty to compensate" Not sure anybody "enjoys" getting less experience or whatever, but it sure seems like it existed back in that era and that is why people play here for the most part, of course not everybody plays for that reason though.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:52 PM
Aviak

That was the idea, but it didn't work out that way. None of the hybrids are that much better than any other class except for the bard. The point of sharing the xp penalty was so that a bunch of friends playing together would all level at the same rate. Later it was changed because hindsight is 20/20
Old 09-24-2019, 10:55 PM
Planar Protector

Needs an option for "don't care." I'll play my favorite classes with or without it.

Danth
Old 09-24-2019, 11:15 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I do not like hybrid or class-based experience penalties (or bonuses).

The original developers even admitted that penalties were a mistake to implement, and they eventually removed them from the game. They were intended to serve as a balance to the perceived notion that hybrids and certain classes were more powerful, but in practice that turned out not to be the case. Forgive me, but someone posted the actual original developer blog last week, which highlighted in detail and proved why experience penalties were a mistake and why they were removed (I cannot remember the exact post). In one way of thinking, experience penalties are akin to a bug that was eventually found and removed from the code, and since many such bugs have already been fixed for the Green server I don't see why experience penalties shouldn't be removed as well.

Personally, I would prefer if the penalties were removed on Green, but this isn't a game-breaker for me since I will not be playing a character with a major penalty. And if they are included they will not affect my willingness to group with other players. I'm looking forward to the social aspects of the game and the adventure itself, not racing to the maximum level.

Actually, I managed to find the post by xCry0x on September 15, which linked to the following EQ Producer Letter: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/edit...rs_letter.html
Last edited by Bravak; 09-24-2019 at 11:23 PM..
Old 09-24-2019, 11:23 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Needs an option for "don't care." I'll play my favorite classes with or without it.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:29 PM
Fire Giant

Agreed Needs an option for "don't care." I'll play my favorite classes with or without it.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:31 PM
Planar Protector

Majority rules, right?

Nope! It's Rogean rules around these parts. And he does not listen to the majority. Only in-era evidence.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:39 PM
Fire Giant

The experience penalties were based around D&D multiclassing. You couldn't give the classes a lower level cap so it was increased xp requirements instead
Old 09-25-2019, 01:10 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Majority rules, right?
The goal isn't to get him to change anything. This is research to satisfy my own curiosity.

And for those of you who don't care: I don't care that you don't care, this thread isn't for you. Not voting is the "I don't care" option.
Last edited by GhostCow; 09-25-2019 at 01:16 AM..
Closed Thread