Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Fire Giant

Default SK/Pal vs. Monk

Seems like the correct comparison would be SK vs Monk because of similar abilities. Any thoughts?

Basically just made this for a fun discussion hopefully to give SKs more hope [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] or give monks an ego boost? haha.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Fire Giant

You want to compare damage mitigation vs. damage output? I'm confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Cooper, Senior Artist, SOE
Shut up and give me my ten bucks per month, little man. My Porsche needs some performance upgrades.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grozmok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You want to compare damage mitigation vs. damage output? I'm confused.
Lets say across the board

SK dmg Vs. Monk Dmg

SK mitigation Vs. Monk Mitigation

SK aggro Vs. Monk aggro
Old 04-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Orc

What usually happens is that I pull mobs, get the shit beat of of me, feign behind Groz, then proceed to out dps him until the mob is dead, and I've taken more damage on the pull than he has tanking it.

Ceebeegee - 27 Monk, always LFG
<Explorers of Norrath>
Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Orc

Yeah I'm not sure what the question is, what is the more powerful class? Hard to say, especially since we all have our own ideas about what makes a class powerful. I don't think monks can tank nearly as well as SK's can and I don't think SK's can do nearly the damage monks can. I will say though that at lvl 60, a well geared SK can do some crazy stuff solo.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBG [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What usually happens is that I pull mobs, get the shit beat of me, feign behind Groz, then proceed to out dps him until the mob is dead, and I've taken more damage on the pull than he has tanking it.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I have to spam cast Disease Cloud over and over just to keep the mob taunted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think monks can tank nearly as well as SK's can and I don't think SK's can do nearly the damage monks can.
I would love to try this, actually. Ceebeegee and I should take turns pulling and tanking/spanking the same mob to see how we do. His high agi and mend vs my high AC and lifetap line could make this interesting.

What I think will happen is that he'll come out having taken less damage overall, where I'll have gotten most of it back via lifetapping.

So I think it might be a wash.

Quote:
Shut up and give me my ten bucks per month, little man. My Porsche needs some performance upgrades.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:09 AM
Orc

Groz, it's so level dependent. The two of you at 30 are gonna be a lot different than the two of you at 60 IMO. I think we gotta look at this from an end game perspective. I've seen lvl 60 monks duel lvl 60 SK's. It was pretty cool, not sure about how their gear matched up which plays a big part in it. Of course, dueling is only one way of measuring power. I think a lot of these kinds of comparisons are ridiculous, but for me, I find this one most interesting. Two of my favorite classes and two of the most interesting classes for me. I'd like to see a 60 monk and 60 SK with their epics and comparative gear go toe to toe a few times. Anyone have direct experience with this?

SK's with their lifetapping abilities and AC, monks with their defensive and offensive abilities, pretty interesting.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Fire Giant

I guess I was mostly looking at PvE, but PvP would be pretty interesting as well.

I guess it's really hard to have a level playing field, really.

Quote:
Old 04-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Fire Giant

Apple/Orange vs. Banana
Old 04-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Fire Giant

Agreed.

However, you cannot deny that Monks are extremely powerful, enough so that they've been able to tank in groups at certain level ranges. So much so, that a tank is not 100% necessary.

I believe that was the point of the OP?

Quote:
Closed Thread