Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 10:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's a tragedy that this thread had no better place than the melee forum.
The appropriate discussion forum for monks, rogues, bards, and ranger gearing and strategy?
Old 05-27-2016, 01:10 AM
Kobold

Been fear kiting cougars in icelad and tried giving this a go, seems rather lackluster and takes a lot longer then swinging my axe does. Seems like 1/3 shots miss and sometimes streaks of 6 or 7 shots miss. Is there a stat that helps with this?

Current stats (self buff):
str 169
dex 127
Agi 112
ATK 802 (helps my axe!)

with a 30/37 velium axe I can kill a cougar in under a minute on average, using a Rain Caller 20/45 it takes me upwards of 3-4min and 30-40 arrows, max archery (175) for my level.

am I missing something, aside from the mobs, or is this just sort of weak until you get fancy raid gear?
Old 05-27-2016, 04:16 AM
Decaying Skeleton

I have the pleasure of being a member of Archers Vow. Having joined P99 only maybe 3 weeks ago Rosen's help and advice has been really great.

One addition to the Trueshot Longbow quest - if you're not an elf, like I am not (Human Ranger) you will need to do some faction work before Maesyn Trueshot will speak to you and give you the Material Pack. This was probably the longest part of the quest for me, apart from the boat ride to Freeport. The Pixie Dust quest in Kelethin RG and orc slaughtering will raise faction to Amiable easily enough, especially as pixie dust stacks (Orc Hatchets can't be done until Amiable so don't waste time on that). I think turning in three Pouches of Pixie Dust to Expin and killing every orc I saw was enough. Just don't accidentally shoot a faerie guard, mistaking them for a pixie trickster, and find yourself back in Qeynos ...
Old 05-27-2016, 08:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
with a 30/37 velium axe I can kill a cougar in under a minute on average, using a Rain Caller 20/45 it takes me upwards of 3-4min and 30-40 arrows, max archery (175) for my level.

am I missing something, aside from the mobs, or is this just sort of weak until you get fancy raid gear?
You are using a high end sword...and comparing it to a bow that has (besides range and a few minor stats) same stats as a bow you can solo quest at level 9....

That is one of the big problems with twinking, people lose perspective on the game. Enemies become too easy and they look at stuff like flame lick and never "get it" why someone would use it for its damage.

Like with a 30/37 axe...even casting the nuke isn't worth it, since you do way more with just another swing.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:30 AM
Planar Protector

This is nifty. Good write up ^^
Old 05-27-2016, 12:23 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You are using a high end sword...and comparing it to a bow that has (besides range and a few minor stats) same stats as a bow you can solo quest at level 9....

That is one of the big problems with twinking, people lose perspective on the game. Enemies become too easy and they look at stuff like flame lick and never "get it" why someone would use it for its damage.

Like with a 30/37 axe...even casting the nuke isn't worth it, since you do way more with just another swing.
Said axe isn't in the least high end for velious, and was affordable in the 20s after a high amount of bandit sash questing. Acquiring a comparable bow wouldn't be even close to possible until I was raiding.

I pull with flame lick and the few times I've grouped it was great for holding threat with snare in the mix too. Baby druid dots aren't about the damage :P
Old 05-27-2016, 01:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Said axe isn't in the least high end for velious, and was affordable in the 20s after a high amount of bandit sash questing. Acquiring a comparable bow wouldn't be even close to possible until I was raiding.
That isn't true. There are velium bows you can buy also (if you find someone selling them). A light velium bow (the lowest kind) is 30/40.

Or, if you were really a dedicated archer, you could snag the bow of the huntsman MUCH sooner than normal if you buy some help killing vluudeen (and really, there are so many high levels passing near there or sitting in thurgadin, that if you find vluudeen up you can easily find free help to come). It is a 3 day spawn though (I think? That or 7), so getting it takes a little more dedication.

If I were starting again, I would probably make that a priority MUCH MUCH sooner....even if it took a while to get. Maybe by making a 2nd ranger and running it out there over the spawn to log in and out of to check it on track now and then?

Quote:
Baby druid dots aren't about the damage :P
As an archer they help.

Flame lick is 3 damage a tick, for 8 ticks. So 24 damage for 10 mana (along with a minor lowing of AC).

At level 30 you get stinging swarm for 65 mana. 13 damage per tick for 9 ticks (so 117 damage)

So, basically, added together you have an extra 16 damage a tick happening for very little mana. Used with root-shooting a mob....it is welcome damage (basically you just about get a free hit every tick).

At 49 we get an upgraded flame lick too. More AC lowering (18 ac) and does 24 damage a tick for 10 ticks (240 damage)...for 120 mana (better than a call of flame).

Combine it with stinging swarm, and you have an extra 37 damage a tick happening to a rooted mob you are shooting. I'll take that any day!

Otherwise throw in your nukes between shots to speed things up.

Level 15 you get a 15 damage nuke. Might not sound like a lot, but think of it more as a 2nd attack you use between shots. Our nukes tend to stay in step with us...always handy, just less mana efficient than using dots ((And the damage of the nukes gets a lot stronger as you level.....at 52, I have a 206 nuke and a 304 nuke)).

As an archer, you gotta use your spells between shots to help supplement damage.

So if you take bows + dots + nukes ....you are actually dealing damage fast enough to make soloing more than worth it (and since you can balance it with medding...). In the end, we become much more efficient at soloing, since recovery between fights is so low or even non existent.

That is how I've always outclass so many people who were soloing near me. I remember around level 30 I was soloing tizmaks....and would outpace the shadowknight fear kiting next to me with his pet (and back then I only had the Rain Caller).

Don't get me wrong, being an archer isn't easy! There are only a handful of bows realistic to get for the lone archer after the trueshot. Getting them takes a lot more work than showing up to the commons casually and grabbing an upgrade with 100pp.

But I really enjoy it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Every step and every upgrade [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] And it eventually paid off big-time when I got the skydarkener! Now I can go quad kite wyverns in CS....or quad kite sentient armors in wakening lands.....or earlier today, someone trained 5 giants to the entrance of kael....they all ran inside, while I got up and shouted "let's do this!!!" as I ran out and kited them all around till they died (while the level 60 enchanter kept telling me to zone because one of them was too hard :3 ).

I've also started parsing my damage in more raid situations....and I've been kind of shocked by the numbers! Against a deep red giant, my melee was only 2 or 3 dps higher than my bow (and I couldn't land my spells or procs). I really wonder how I will do if I could get a bow of the silver fang to keep up in terms of non-proc bow DPS.

But just getting the bow is another fun challenge!! I hear they rot sometimes and figure that is gonna be the key! I've been trying to hang around there more lately, and find out when people fight the drakes that have the bow....so....that is just part of archering. Being in the right place at the right time!

Like I said before, very very few people really care about bows or archery. Other than SOME rangers thinking they are fun to play with now and then....everyone else just sees them as a pulling item (so they only care about range or stats on the bow). That is a huge advantage to archers really trying to get these better bows.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:08 AM
Planar Protector

followed this guide

i ended up getting perma banned and my entire family was murdered.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseRed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
followed this guide

i ended up getting perma banned and my entire family was murdered.
You can't let GMs see you archering!! Everyone knows that! It is too stronk and they think we haxing!! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-31-2016, 09:19 AM
Sarnak

Curious, how would you rate the Wind Saber? That's the bow my ranger is using at 33, and with fleeting quiver, the thing is FAST!
Closed Thread