Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 10:26 PM
Fire Giant

Did Dain on Beta, I did CH and used a heal stick on ramp tank for entire fight.

Took no faction hit.

[Thu Nov 13 22:53:44 2014] You have healed Peekae for 1486 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 13 22:53:44 2014] Peekae is completely healed.
[Thu Nov 13 22:53:54 2014] You have healed Peekae for 300 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 13 22:53:54 2014] Peekae feels much better.
[Thu Nov 13 22:54:09 2014] Fingerz pierces Dain Frostreaver IV for 13 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 13 22:54:09 2014] Dain Frostreaver IV has been slain by Fingerz!
[Thu Nov 13 22:54:09 2014] Dain Frostreaver IV says 'My comrades will avenge my death.'
[Thu Nov 13 22:54:15 2014] Arukas tells the guild, 'Aegis of Ice, Dain Frostreaver's Head, Frostreaver, Frostreaver's Embroidered Cloak, Spell: Call of the Predator, Spell: Arch Lich, Song: Composition of Ervaj'
Old 11-13-2014, 10:31 PM
Developer

Clerics in classic usually kept the level 1 nuke memorized for this reason.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:36 PM
Fire Giant

This cleric was from my server and was in the top end guild.

http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/show...t=17152&page=2
Quote:
In the Kael zone, you sometimes seem to get faction hits for mere healing, while other times you don't.

I found out the reason long ago when a friend mentioned it. I tested it and the results were enough to convince me.

If you /assist-heal, you'll get faction hits. If you heal someone and never target the mob, you won't get a faction hit.

So, all you need to do to avoid the faction is keep the tank targetted the whole time. If you /assist him, or target the mob to check its HPs, or target the mob for any other reason before it dies, your heals will cause a faction hit.

Who knows about now, I haven't been to Kael in a year or more, but that's how it worked a couple of years ago when my guild still did AoW.

That's how I kept my KT/Kael faction at dubious for most of the time we cleared Kael back then.

BTW... this seems to be specific to the Kael zone. Never seen the behaviour occur elsewhere.

Quote:
Bah morikan write it before me

double assist and you get faction hit, it s why in CCH you will rarely get faction.
Quote:
Faction hits occur:
1) If you hit or cast on the mob (direct aggro).
2) If you get too close to the mob (proximity aggro)
3) If you ever target the mob (beats me why this makes a difference, but it does).

Faction hits do NOT occur:
- If you keep main tank targeted 100% of the time and heal from max range.

It has worked like this forever, although it did take a while to figure out. I am 100% sure it works like this in ToV and Kael from personal experience. I suspect it works like this everywhere, but people only care about velious factions.

It sure is useful to be able to deliberately avoid faction hits sometimes though...
Last edited by getsome; 11-13-2014 at 10:38 PM..
Old 11-13-2014, 10:45 PM
Planar Protector

EQClerics 2001

Quote:
Eh? I've always been able to get faction for a mob by simply hitting my assist key on someone fighting it. Don't even have to swing, just have autoattack on for a moment while the mob is aggro on someone else and you get the faction.

I have noticed that CH tends to miss faction adjustments.
Claims you need to double assist AND have Autoattack on.

Sounds kinda sketchy of a mechanic though. Most people just cast strike as mentioned above. Dunno how they would code the assist business...
Old 11-14-2014, 02:54 PM
Banned

I would believe it has more to do with a sort of primary aggro list vs secondary. If you're on primary aggro you will get the hit, but being only on the hate list through someone else maybe not?

That coupled with noise in people's data from the funky sit aggro on live that occurred during various times.

I do remember not taking hits playing clerics on live. Although the assist thing may have some merit in how client side shit works (sort of how nodelay worked with MQ), and it pings the server to say you were in a combat state/some sort of tertiary aggro?
Old 11-14-2014, 03:38 PM
Planar Protector

Yea I'd tend to believe that the assist thing is a wives tale. Dunno how targetting a mob puts you on the faction list. Then again EQ has some funky programming.

With sit aggro, just sitting down near an already engaged mob will get you aggro so... That works as well.

Really wish we had classic sit while casting mechanic here. Only good thing about red is their classic duck casting not working yet.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:39 PM
Planar Protector

The /assist or /target and receive a faction hit seems dubious.

You had to cast a small nuke or run in and turn on attack to get faction hits in Velious.

If the mob is in close enough proximity to you leaving attack on and a quick double /assist would cause a swing to occur leading to a faction hit.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:48 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The /assist or /target and receive a faction hit seems dubious.

You had to cast a small nuke or run in and turn on attack to get faction hits in Velious.

If the mob is in close enough proximity to you leaving attack on and a quick double /assist would cause a swing to occur leading to a faction hit.
From testing what is currently on eqlive, /assist and /target did not pan out.

First aggro will give a faction hit. Doing damage will cause a faction hit. Healing only, would not, if you did nothing else, in some velious zones. Not all. Kael is one of them. I went through every zone in velious to see which ones had that behavior.

I also checked all velious zones, to see which ones would draw aggro, by dragging a corpse.

H
Old 11-23-2014, 04:55 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
From testing what is currently on eqlive, /assist and /target did not pan out.

First aggro will give a faction hit. Doing damage will cause a faction hit. Healing only, would not, if you did nothing else, in some velious zones. Not all. Kael is one of them. I went through every zone in velious to see which ones had that behavior.

I also checked all velious zones, to see which ones would draw aggro, by dragging a corpse.

H
But this behavior is specific to Vel, right? so there's still a fix to be done for Kunark?
Old 11-28-2014, 12:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buriedpast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the assist thing may have some merit in how client side shit works
Some of the bugs that were in classic EQ still boggle my mind to how they ever existed in the first place. A good example is if you turned off your spell effects you would become immune to Lord Vyemm's AE. I don't even understand how you accidentally program a bug like that into the game.