Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Kobold

Default Meteor Shower

For those who have not heard.. there will be a meteor shower this month. The best night to see it will be late August 11 early August 12. This might be a once in a lifetime opportunity, so take a few minutes to watch it. There's supposed to be nearly 100 meteors per hour.

According to Astronomy.com, the Perseid Meteor shower has some added bonuses this year It will occur on a night when the moon is in its waning crescent phase, which means the moonlight won't interfere with your view of the dashing meteors, and it's on a Saturday night, which means Fenton viewers can stay up late and sleep in the next day.

You don't even need a telescope. Just spread out a blanket, maybe a late-night picnic, lay back and enjoy!

Perseid Meteor Trivia:

These meteors travel 37 miles per second!
The best time to view will be 2 a.m. on Aug. 12.
The weather in Fenton so far, is predicted to be clear, so you should have a good view.
The Perseid Meteors are cast-offs of the Swift-Tuttle comet, according to Space.com.
The shower began on July 23 and will peak the night of Aug. 11-12.
Look toward the Perseus constellation, which forms an inverted "Y" shape and is in the northeast.
Some of the meteroids are as small as a grain of sand, but they have the kinetic energy of a nuclear bomb!
If you see a very slow, bright object sailing across the sky, it's either a satellite or a Space Station.
Where to view:

You don't need a telescope to view this celestial event, so just head out to a dark spot.
Away from city lights, so the further you get from town, the better your view will be.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Fire Giant

First post of substance i've seen in awhile. kudos
Old 08-07-2012, 02:11 AM
Planar Protector

So, will i be able to see this in Tennessee?
[XX Rogue] Hailto (Half-Elf)
Red:
[21 Wizard] Hailto (Dark-Elf)
Old 08-07-2012, 02:48 AM
Planar Protector

If it's visible here in NJ it will probably be cloudy or rainy, again. It always is for meteor showers.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Kobold

Seen a few last night in Ocean Springs, Mississippi. Even through the rain. Tonite is supposed to be the big night even though that article I posted here said it was last night. Maybe that was from a different country? Anyways, our local news said tonite will be amazing!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to toddfx

On the last night of my Alaskan cruise, Thursday, I sat outside looking at the stars for a couple of hours and must have seen 15 meteorites. I figured that was normal for the area and didn't think anything of it, since I live in Chicago and can normally see nothing in the sky. It was only when I got back home to the internet this weekend that I realized I was probably seeing the onset of Perseids peak. Very cool!

Seriously makes me wonder why I live in an urban area...
Old 08-13-2012, 11:08 PM
Fire Giant

37 miles per second holy cow!!
Old 08-14-2012, 12:55 AM
Fire Giant

awesome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] we stayed the night in the high desert with a couple friends to see this. we live in the city, they live out in the middle of nowhere so... but yeah. events like this really make you feel tiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddfx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Seriously makes me wonder why I live in an urban area...
there are drawbacks to living rural, too. when i lived in missouri we didn't have a post office, and i had to drive 12 miles to school. also no trash service, mandatory burning and composting. yummy, i love the smell of decay in the morning [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread