Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Skeleton

I remember being very skeptical having briefly tried UO... Well i fired up EQ and created an Ogre Shaman and was instantly hooked.

Getting turned around in the entrance of Oggok because it was night time and I didn't have a torch. I got a bit frustrated zoning back and forth before I realized I could turn up the alpha on my monitor enough to at least see the outline of the walls.

I remember being terrified of those spiderlings that would gang up on me and regularly eat me for breakfast, my wife looking over my shoulder once asked, "How is it you are standing there fighting and also laying on the ground taking a nap over there?"... Ohhh, that is where I left my corpse... Thanks babe.

Entering the swamp for the first time and thinking "damn, I thought my home was bad.". Fleeing in terror from that damn mushroom guy... You know, that is whay makes classic awesome... You get attached to your dude and death is powerful inconvenient... And fear is easier to come by in the dark when things aren't animated to be all bubblegum and rainbows.

Zone 3: Whatever was North of the swamp... I was just glad to get out of there (at 5 AM) someone is yelling "help! This poison is killing me!"... Oh wait, didn't I get a spell for that? Run run run, cast! Hero! (for a day)

So many experiences thay you just can't gt in a modern mmo.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Sarnak

First character ever.. Dwarf Warrior.

It sucked

But everything was so 3d, so It was fun.

I like power, so I like leveling, only reason in continued playing.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Sarnak

I remember a black screen and "You have been disconnected". Then about 6 hours looking around everfrost peaks for my corpse with my newbie gear. I think I just ended up deleting that character and starting over.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Planar Protector

I remember making a high elf enchanter for my first character, spending probably an hour exploring this new world. Killing bats and wasps outside Felwithe was great and had me captivated, some time later I decided to follow the path which incidentally led to Kelethin, my heart was pounding, it was dark... the sounds of the wild were intimidating as I ran.

At what I know now is the newbie lift, there were some mystical beings there casting spells. Likely a druid, I remember the green glow coming out of their hands and the "ahh" sound as what was probably "Skin Like Wood" hit me. Totally, totally hooked...never got tired of it until after GoD and still played even then.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:04 PM
Orc

I made a high elf magician because my older bro was a high elf wizard and I wanted to be like him without copying him. Haha....back then I didn't know how to turn up brightness on monitor either so when nighttime came I went inside felwithe and waited for the day. Was such a revelation when I shouted in gfay "Damn it's so dark at night".....a few seconds later "Turn up your screen brightness bro". Totally altered my experience of EQ - I could play during the night.

Back then I didn't know what the max level was so I thought when I hit level 9 that I was nearing max level. Boy was I wrong.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Sarnak

I created a barbarian warrior. Everfrost was PACKED with people. I went up to a guy that was beating on a mob, and started beating on it, to help. He got mad, and said something about "KS."

I had learned how to send tells, so I sent him one that I had been playing all of 5 minutes, and what was I doing wrong, I wanted to help? He calmed down and started walking me through making hotkeys, why you don't attack other people's mobs, and other noob lessons.

I played about three hours, totally enthralled. Then I wandered a little too far and was massacred by a skeleton (vengeful?). Didn't have a clue where my corpse was.

I went back to Diablo 2 for a couple of weeks, until a friend convinced me to try EQ again. I continued to play it for ten years.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Kobold

got killed three times in half an hour before I rebound the auto attack hot key. Also died to drowning in a fountain during that 30 min.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Sarnak

Fippy killed me, the bastard. My game consisted of a quest for revenge from that day forward.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by eadric [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My first day in Everquest ended with my level 4 half elf ranger falling down the hole in the Tree in Blackburrow. The corpse was more or less irretrievable... no one went that deep into Blackburrow and came back alive. So I lost all my gear and gold on my very first day in the game. And yet, I was totally hooked.
Yes. Very similar... I lost my SK's (first live character) corpse in the Befallen well a week into release and I never played him again.

But my cherry was popped when my friends that played UO showed me the EQ beta. I would go over their house and we would nerd out for hours around the monitor. My very first character of my own was a Dwarf Paladin. I killed bats, goblins and decaying skeletons and then got lost right outside Kaladim. Died and never found my corpse before beta ended. It was the best gaming experience EVER.

Bought the game the day it released from the mall. Played it on my mother's HORRIBLE Compaq on AOL dialup with no second phone line. Between the calls, crashes, and awful frame rates it was still a great experience.
Last edited by Bohab; 03-21-2012 at 04:13 PM..
Old 03-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Kobold

Started a Human Warrior, found my trainer after about half an hour, wandered around qeynos trying to get out, fell in the water and drowned. I never got that corpse back.
Closed Thread