Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Speaking from my limited experience (21 levels) of shamanism... Maybe.

If you wanna go smoothly you'll all have to do your roles very well. Otherwise you risk wiping when stuff gets hairy and you'll have a lot of downtime [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. Unfortunately I really do think you need another OH or a MH if you intend to have a group that can keep on rolling w/o having to stop for healer mana too often. That or else just be able to instagib and split pull everything (I've had a group with 2 mages, 1 enchanter, 1 monk, and a wiz that worked even though we didn't have a tank because stuff just DROPPED like mad)
Old 05-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Fire Giant

What I would go with for an ideal 5 man:

Cleric
Enchanter
SK/Warr
Shaman
Wizard/Druid
Old 05-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Planar Protector

Just keep in mind that your shaman won't get a 300hp heal till around level 29.
Granted your DPS looks to be really good but in the case of taking on red conned named mobs and bad pulls it might get dicey.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Kobold

man if they have only played wow this will be alot on them....

and no cleric?

i would go with what astarothel said, that combo is probably your best.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabkorik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(they've played WoW and that's it for online).

Just noticed this. You need to let them know that class balancing is much more strict in EQ than it was in WoW and as such all healers are not equal at healing. All tanks are not equal at tanking. etc...

If you have a druid, a chanter and a paly then you have every ability in the game available to you at one point or another while leveling up (except for FD).

If you replace the paly with a shadow knight then you absolutely need to add a cleric to the mix because you will loose the ability to rez in your group.

The goal should be to have all abilities available in your group and double up on the most important ones (in this case having a backup healer).

The abilities to think of are:

heal, slow, haste, mez, charm, snare, invis, root, FD, rez, port, sow, invis vs. undead, etc...
You get the idea.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabkorik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So if we made our group like so:

Bard
Wizard
Rogue
Shaman
Shadowknight / Paladin / Warrior

Would the Shaman be able to stay on top of heals then?
I'm jealous...I wish I could get 4 of my friends from the old days to come play! Might have one in the bag but I'll believe it when I see it. lol

You will save yourself infinate headaches by including a cleric somehow. You just can't beat their raw healing power and buffs, not to mention rezzes and they only get more powerful as the game progresses. Hell, just having a perma-rezzer at your disposal for 5 people alone, is like gold. Besides, you have the luxury of rolling with a whole crew of RL friends. Why stretch yourself thin with healing when you are about to be in a position to be able to do anything any other group can do, but with just your friends?

Given your setup, as much as I love bards, personally, I would trade the bard for a cleric. Sure you lose your CC and dedicated puller, but SKs are fantastic pullers and have FD. Clerics have the Lull line of spells which can also be used for breaking camps, so you can work around not having a monk/bard do it, even if your tank chooses a war or pally. Actually, pallys get Lulls too, but I think they are lower level than the cleric's.

You lose some of the utility of the bard, but look at it this way...you have a 5 man group with a slot for a 6th you can find from the general playerbase....You will have a much easier time recruiting a bard / monk/ chanter...whatever you want...day in and day out than you will a cleric or a tank. And my experience in the past in this and other games is when you are running a perma group with friends that has a slot or two available, most often you wind up finding someone who plays the same times with you to consistently fill that spot anyway. Who wouldn't want to?
Old 05-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just noticed this. You need to let them know that class balancing is much more strict in EQ than it was in WoW and as such all healers are not equal at healing. All tanks are not equal at tanking. etc...

If you have a druid, a chanter and a paly then you have every ability in the game available to you at one point or another while leveling up (except for FD).

If you replace the paly with a shadow knight then you absolutely need to add a cleric to the mix because you will loose the ability to rez in your group.

The goal should be to have all abilities available in your group and double up on the most important ones (in this case having a backup healer).

The abilities to think of are:

heal, slow, haste, mez, charm, snare, invis, root, FD, rez, port, sow, invis vs. undead, etc...
You get the idea.

to this, listen WOW was fast paced and easy, this classic is not easy and not fast paced for people who only know WOW.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Fire Giant

Go with 4 mages and a cleric [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Sarnak

I have to wish you better luck than I've had with this endeavor. If you'd said "I have five friends, all of us long-time, solid classic EQ fans" then you'd have a better chance of everyone sticking it out. My last attempt, a buddy of mine was all stoked and talking shit to our other friends about how much better EQ is than all the current MMO's and acting tough (he'd played EQ during PoP). He madea toon, took a five minute run from Kelethin to Butcherblock, then told me "I don't think I can play this game". I haven't seen him online since. So before you start, make sure your buddies have realistic expectations of EQ! (It's hard, the graphics suck, leveling isn't accomplished in two weeks, etc)
Old 05-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Sarnak

Problem with mages and cleric is the clerics ability to target the pet for heals. Is there a UI or some preffered way for the cleric to target a pet since they dont show up in group window? Just have a /target xxxxx macro and change the name every day? Surely there is something better.
Closed Thread