Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think you misunderstand how people make money.

It's not by catering to a niche market that hates everything you've done for the last nine years.
You clearly have no idea how big of a success the last progression servers were. SoE publicly stated themselves that when the Combine and Sleeper launched, they had the best months (financially) that they had had in a long time.

The progression servers were epic amounts of fun and people were bustling in every nook and cranny of every zone. Guilds were racing to targets to progress their guilds and leveling together in nearly every zone in the game. There were a few things that ruined it for many people, the big thing being power gamers rushing to unlock the content in under a month, and zones being out before they were supposed to, but overall they were amazing.

i can't wait until we get to come back into the real Norrath in early 2011 and can see the changes that SoE has made this time to progression. I have a feeling that after seeing the response to P1999, they realize there is a market out there for the "niche" you are talking about. Most people tend to play EQ in short spurts and come and go to revisit old memories. That is where the money is for their company; nostalgia - and that is why they are bringing this server ruleset back again.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Fire Giant

I was there. The Progression Servers were a "massive success" for about four months.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Fire Giant

If they're doing it differently this time, it could be more successful. The fact is, the original Progression Servers were a massive letdown because they weren't actually Classic. They were current EQ with expansions disabled.

You still had all the features of EQLive at the time like Out of Combat Regen and the low level armor quests and such because they weren't willing to redesign a special database and client just for one (or two) servers.

So, people resubbed to check it out, realized they had been duped, and quit. That boosts your numbers for a quarter, but it does not a success make.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They wouldn't be able to deal with real competition. When you are already established with 50-100 full time players online all the time, the game is cake.
You can claim you want a real challenge but really these people just want frequent easy kills.

Starting over with a couple thousand people playing in all different timezones, you're not guaranteed a monopoly and nobody is going to jump on board just because you were in a big guild on an emu server.

In short, they aren't going anywhere.
This man knows his PoopSocking Emu Guilds. Just like the guilds on VZ/TZ would never have switched to a LIVE classic PVP server if it had opened - despite their claims.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluvill [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For some of us in the big guilds, its that we know sony wont deliver. You can RMT there, among other things. You can get defiant armor, among other things. You will probably be able to create berzerkers, among other things.

The point is that they won't get it right. Unless this server has been some kind of a big secret for years and its sony's last shot at the playerbase, then its going to suck

This server isn't like live, but I'm hoping for a live population on kunark release. This is a whole hell of a lot better than anything we can expect from sony except for EQ:Next, which will still suck because they plan to have RMT in it. ( I dont mind spending my 15$ a month, but if I cant compete because I dont buy Potion X, then is bullshit.)

Best thing they could do is to hire this development team, but they wont do that either.

What's the difference how many people are on the server, when the same Guild(s) will be monopolizing all the Kunark bosses just the same?

And if you think people aren't RMTing here, then you're either mistaken or ignorant.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Developer

I liked the original progression server, until I was 3 months behind expansion wise. That took what? 3 1/2 months? If you were not playing 8 hours a day, you were behind.

That was why I quit playing on live. I was always behind, since I could not play 8 hrs a day. There was too much content.

H
Old 12-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilyenaMage [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And if you think people aren't RMTing here, then you're either mistaken or ignorant.
There are no more people doing RMT's than there are boxing.

You know the server is a success when people are giving real money for in game characters, items, etc.

=P
Old 12-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slathar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I love all the baseless speculation people are spouting off here. Wait and see before you say there will be RMT and defiant drops.

Another example of level 50s with dragon-gearz fearing that p1999 will suffer a massive player migration leaving them with no one to act superior to.
I dunno about the Defiant items, but OBVIOUSLY RMT will be there - it always is.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are no more people doing RMT's than there are boxing.

You know the server is a success when people are giving real money for in game characters, items, etc.

=P
I think when dealing with progression servers, when RMT is mentioned, they are talking about the Station store that lets you buy experience potions, mounts, and all over sorts of weird stuff.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Kobold

I played on Sleeper then Combine and it was some of the best fun I ever had in EQ.

Unfortunately it wasn't very casual friendly because people like me raced to be the first. Fun for me, but I imagine 90% of the server population was left very disgruntled about that. It should be interesting to see how long the time locks are. I personally hope for nothing more than 3 months per expo.
Closed Thread