Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Skeleton

Default Higher aggro: fewer big hits or more frequent lower ones

With the discussion in that other Warrior thread about aggro and all that jazz, I was wondering about what causes more hate towards you. Fewer hits done for high damage when using a 2HS or more frequent but lower damage hits done dual wielding? I understand that later on (especially when you can start using the gnoll hide lariats) it can really help hold aggro with the DW/procing but what about earlier on?

I know that on a pre 20 ranger using a 2HS that would hit for 40 really got the mob to notice me so I was wondering if maybe that was something that could be tried until 25 or so (before the gnoll hide lariats). Get yourself a big 2HS and perhaps the big hits will help with aggro not to mention getting double attack before hybrids would probably help too.

Thoughts?

Tempted to roll a warrior again and try just using a 2hs until 25 and then switch over to duel wielding with gnoll hides. This is all purely based on what I saw playing a ranger using a big 2hs and letting the warrior tank for a few seconds before attacking myself. I can just recall explicitly how I would quickly get aggro hitting once or twice for 40.
Last edited by Healthcare; 06-16-2010 at 08:20 PM..
Old 06-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Orc

The faster weapons will generally cause better aggro over time.

You're also damage capped at lower levels, so using a slower weapon isn't worth it beyond skillups.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Kobold

I recall reading a thread on the shadowknight boards that discussed parses concerning agro generation. I don't recall all the details, but they used spells that were coded as having a specific amount of hate to determine how much hate someone else had generated.

The summary is that you get a base amount of hate generated per swing plus an amount proportional to the damage on the weapon. Actually hitting, damage bonus (from primary), crits, amount of damage, weapon skill etc all did nothing.

That's probably a large leap of faith without a link to the thread I'm discussing, but I'll do my best to find it.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:26 AM
Orc

For discussions sake lets assume this is close enough to live for similar formulas to apply, though I don't have empirical evidence to that fact.

I'll condense it, but sources are cited below if you'd like to delve into the math.
  • Swing Hate= Weapon Damage + Damage Bonus
  • Potential DPS determines hate
Given that, dual wielding faster weapons with the addition of double attack will provide higher potential aggro over a given period of time than a two handed weapon utilizing only double attack.

Swing Aggro vs Proc Aggro
Warrior weapon aggro calculator
All methods to increase agro
Last edited by logiktrip; 06-17-2010 at 01:29 AM..
Old 06-17-2010, 07:00 AM
Large Bat

the big difference from live that i am noticing is misses do not seem to cause any aggro while on live they cause the same as if you hit the mob.
Closed Thread