Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Sarnak

I remember the first thing I thought back in Beta in 1998 was, what the heck I can only see 1/3 of the screen. I remember being annoyed at this because EQ is such a huge vibrant world, and constricting your field of view to make something "classic" is equivalent to tunnel vision, both in game and metaphorically.

Velious UI made the game more fun, more engaging to play, and that is what I feel like when I think classic.

old UI was utterly horrendous
Old 10-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Banned

Being able to look at yourself from the inventory was pretty pimpish though.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your definition of eventually is very different than mine.
You don't even play anymore?
Sell out bro.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toehammer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember the first thing I thought back in Beta in 1998 was, what the heck I can only see 1/3 of the screen. I remember being annoyed at this because EQ is such a huge vibrant world, and constricting your field of view to make something "classic" is equivalent to tunnel vision, both in game and metaphorically.

Velious UI made the game more fun, more engaging to play, and that is what I feel like when I think classic.

old UI was utterly horrendous
agree'd. wanting the old UI for the sake of having it is a waste of resources. not to mention how is that going to work with the masses of widescreen resolutions? do i get to have big black bars on each side of my screen to make up for the fact that it will only run in 4:3 aspect ratio?
Old 10-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Planar Protector

fyi this thread wasn't super serious

lol wut
Old 10-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doors [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah lets worry about game mechanics first.
I think the more correct statement would be: Let's let the volunteer unpaid developers worry about what they want to worry about first.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Banned

I would love it if everyone was forced to use the same classic UI that was timeline appropriate. The biggest problem with this is probably the way the UI is built has switched overtime. The "velious" UI on this server for example is just a standard post Luclin XML based UI with a custom design so that it can look as close to the velious one as possible. I don't think pre-luclin UI's were even remotely similar in architecture and design, but it's been awhile since I've actually looked at the files.

Would be awesome though, secrets is awesome for doing stuff like this (brown skellys, anti-hack; all AWESOME things imo).
Old 10-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Planar Protector

I wouldnt mind a classic ui. :P
Old 10-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juugox2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the current ui def isnt velious unless you DL that one the one you have without changing any UI is luclin or past that cant remember when
its definetly something past Luclin, lots of windows and tabs on it that are not even part of the Al'kabor UI
Old 10-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roanoke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
agree'd. wanting the old UI for the sake of having it is a waste of resources. not to mention how is that going to work with the masses of widescreen resolutions? do i get to have big black bars on each side of my screen to make up for the fact that it will only run in 4:3 aspect ratio?
If I remember right the "classic" UI had two views. the small window with the chat box your class icon, sells and the main menu open on the right side with health and hp. and the "full screen" UI you could access by hitting f10. Hotbutton banks only had 6 buttons, and there was only 1 chat box available.

Not that I dislike the current ui's available, but it would be interesting to see the old UI once more. I would most likely spend time in full screen mode unless the devs figure a way to support high resolutions.