Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 04:31 PM
Planar Protector

Not gonna lie. When I back my ogre SK into a corner and cast with impunity... it's sweet. I don't think it is an overpowering racial feature, but it is pretty fucking cool nonetheless. AC and regen, or regen and ugly as fuck, there's something to be said for those things also. But ogres, man. Ogres! Especially shrink potion ogres.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphice [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For min/max race choice its always any class that can be an ogre is best on an ogre. Frontal stun immunity is just too strong, and they have the best stats.
While this might be true for many people, I wouldn't be so categorical tbh. In my personal opinion, it's a no-brainer for SK and WAR, but Trolls or iksars (cept no JBB!) arguably make as-good if not better shamans, since regen is a fucking huge deal when you can canni. It's more like the best solo shaman is Ogre, because you need to get those spells off uninterrumpted, but the best group shaman is troll, since you shouldn't be getting hit until you slow and once you did it's all good... Then that s true for soloing too... Honestly trolls arguably are better shammies [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

What's for sure, like Brut pretty well summed up, is that when you've gotten used to the luxury of frontal stun immunity, it's a nightmare trying to play any other race. That, and never being encumbered. xD
Old 06-10-2014, 05:26 PM
Aviak

I still think Ogres are the better shamans because regen doesnt really matter when you are 60 with torpor. Sure, while leveling trolls are prob better for groups but I think that is kind of a small factor overall. At high levels while grouping or soloing difficult mobs you are going to get some resists and are going to pull aggro sometimes and have a mob/mobs beating your face down. In these situations, being an ogre really helps b/c you dont have to worry about bash timings interrupting your spells.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphice [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I still think Ogres are the better shamans because regen doesnt really matter when you are 60 with torpor. Sure, while leveling trolls are prob better for groups but I think that is kind of a small factor overall. At high levels while grouping or soloing difficult mobs you are going to get some resists and are going to pull aggro sometimes and have a mob/mobs beating your face down. In these situations, being an ogre really helps b/c you dont have to worry about bash timings interrupting your spells.
Lol did you even get Zizz torpor yet?
Old 06-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol did you even get Zizz torpor yet?
YES!! What kind of person do you think I am!? :P
Old 06-10-2014, 11:17 PM
Large Bat

Well, I'm fairly certain that I'm going with an Erudite Shadowknight. Any advice? I read that it can be difficult to get out of the starting zone due to the location of the port.
Last edited by Trillian; 06-10-2014 at 11:25 PM..
Old 06-11-2014, 04:31 AM
Kobold

Any advice err.. DON'T! Haha j/k.

Just good luck man [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Not an easy combo but good looking for sure [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-11-2014, 01:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brut [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure if the ikky AC bonus actually does anything, was some debate about it in one the oomphzillion other threads regarding this. Noidea if Greenmist is going in, but prty sure Velious has multiple better ratio SK weapons than 18/22 anyway. Guess there's the regen, which scales into a permanent fungi or something at 60, but when talking endgame regen doesn't do much but reduce downtime slightly.

Ogre SK caps Str and hits somewhere near 200sta endgame Kunark already. Velious both oughta be capped unbuffed, dex nearly capped, agi lingering around the 120s region. 60str/50sta is crazy huge bytheway, majority of the stats among races are around the same numbers, so that ogre advantage is pretty immense. Basically higher str/sta means you can work your gear pieces on other stuff while those ikky SKs are sporting stamina earrings and str rings.

Front stun immunity biggest deal anyways. Played troll SK on red for a while, just felt awkward - fighting single mob 1v1 had to time spells around bashes. As ogre when you get 2-3 mobs on you you just cast FD and channel it no problems, while troll would apparently have to run away to get enough distance to cast it before they come bash interrupt. /cringe
I'm curious about this, not having played an Ogre on p99. On live the immunity was to frontal melee stun, but the bash would still cause an instant interrupt if the mob landed it mid-cast. Is that not true on p99?
Old 06-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Planar Protector

No it didn't. I played an ogre shm on live since january 2000, getting that Gate off in a corner while 10 mobs wailed on you was the best thing about the race.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm curious about this, not having played an Ogre on p99. On live the immunity was to frontal melee stun, but the bash would still cause an instant interrupt if the mob landed it mid-cast. Is that not true on p99?
There are other references that allude to this. For example stuns would interrupt Lady Vox CH, though it wouldn't actually stun her. Just break the cast. I thought that's how it worked as well.
Closed Thread