Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Kobold

Default Shadow Knight Guide.

I'm currently level 30 on my SK on red, and was looking around for a good guide for SK's. I can't seem to find the information I am looking for, specifically:

Pulling Strategies
Soloing Areas 1 - 60
How to solo, spell choices etc
Weapon Choices
How to Tank as an SK
PvP Strategies General/SK Specific

The only guide I found on the wiki is simply terrible. Is there a better guide, or if not is it possible to answer some of these questions and possibly begin to build a better guide to replace the inadequate one that is currently there?
Last edited by SenoraRaton; 09-12-2014 at 07:07 PM..
Old 09-12-2014, 07:04 PM
Planar Protector

I can answer some of your questions.

For soloing method, the popular thing for SKs is to snare and fear the enemy, then chase it and melee along with your pet. Undead fear spells are cheaper than all-purpose fear spells, so you can save on mana if you can find undead to fear.

For zones, you probably want outdoor zones so that you can get areas with lots of space to fear kite without getting additional aggro, and you'd want to prioritize zones with undead mobs if possible. Possibilities are North/South Ro / Oasis, Butcherblock Mts (chessboard), Field of Bone, LOIO, EJ, Burning Woods, and Dreadlands - all of these zones have at least some undead you can go after. I'm not sure there's necessarily always a good outdoor zone with lots of undead; other good zones for fear-kiting in general would be the Karanas, Firiona Vie, and Overthere, but these don't have much undead. I haven't bothered to note the level ranges on these zones since I assume you're already familiar with them, but you can look them up or ask if you're not sure.

I don't know a ton about SK pulling, weapons, and PVP.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 09-14-2014, 01:49 AM
Planar Protector

Pulling strategy: Snare mob. Then run back. Feign Death. Other mobs return to their spawn points, snared mob will stand still. Get up.

How to tank: Cast Disease Cloud. Repeat.

PVP: Hit other guy, then Harm Touch. Lifetap when you have low hitpoints, zone when you're going to die.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:26 AM
Banned

true, its not rocket surgery
Old 09-14-2014, 10:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
PVP: Hit other guy, then Harm Touch. Lifetap when you have low hitpoints, zone when you're going to die.
Spam clinging obv to unSoW them.

Then use Slam when they gating cuz you rolled ogre/troll because you want to actually kill someone. /nod
Old 09-15-2014, 08:57 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brut [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Spam clinging obv to unSoW them.

Then use Slam when they gating cuz you rolled ogre because you want to actually kill someone. /nod
Fixed fer joo!
Old 09-18-2014, 08:11 PM
Aviak

Only recently started on P1999 but on live for the relevant time frame I used Disease Cloud for agro, when that was changed Clinging Darkness.

Clinging Darkness spam was good for passing agro to warriors for raid pulls or Slowing on the pull.

Invisability during a pull used to work good as you could pull raid targets through the zone.

As previously mentioned snaring works great for feign splitting, either to lag behind casters or keep you pull target in place.

I am interested to see how things are here compared to my memory of live, only lv7 so far on my Shadow knight.

Braellar
Old 09-18-2014, 08:23 PM
Fire Giant

How to tank: Make a key to assist your puller, spam it as hes getting in camp till you get target then disease cloud it off him

For mezzed mobs I switch targets before the current one is dead and shadow vortex it a couple times. Once the current mob is dead i try to taunt it once then break with disease cloud. If taunt failed then the shadow vortexes and disease cloud hopefully are enough to pull it off of the chanter, if taunt succeeded then youre top of the list anyway and the disease cloud will start you off with solid agro.

I also like to keep wave of enfeeblement up on the spell bar when im grouping in case a few too many get pulled so I can try to peel them all onto me and keep casters/healers up long enough to get it under control.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Sarnak

When you refer to disease cloud do you mean the level 9 dot or are you talking upgrades at higher levels. Is the agro from it that good? Is there any explanation on how that works?
Old 10-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veleria [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When you refer to disease cloud do you mean the level 9 dot or are you talking upgrades at higher levels. Is the agro from it that good? Is there any explanation on how that works?
Yes, the level 9 dot disease cloud has really high agro generation