Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Planar Protector

Default Shaman points allocation...

Yep I see the enchanter one there, and thought I'd check with the community on what's best for a shaman...

Race undecided, but don't think I'd enjoy an iksar as much as the other 3 choices.

Thoughts? I remember someone saying something about adding 5 AGI for ogres because of an AC penalty otherwise?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Fire Giant

If you have under 75agi you get an AC Penalty.

Stam is probably more important to you than most casters, but I would say still secondary wisdom.
Stam = HPs which you will use for Canni.
Maybe go half and half?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Planar Protector

For a shaman you may as well just go full out Stam. They're a lot more simple then an enchanter. I also wouldn't be surprised if you get better HP returns from stam then int casters, so its likely more valuable. Plus, when the shits the fan what does a shammy really need to end up doing? An enchanter will need the potentially large mana pool to keep a big group of mobs mezzed long enough to get the situation under control or the higher cha to more reliably charm something.

Shaman won't be doing that, they can heal but if things are really bad a shaman chain healing isn't likely to be the thing that prevents a total wipe. Instead, you're likely going to be more useful slowing/rooting stuff which will lead to you taking hits.

In non-oh Shi moments, you'll be cannibing your hp into mana anyways so your HP acts as a secondary mana pool anyways with the side benefit of improving your surviability.

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Old 05-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Planar Protector

Make sure your AGI is at least 75. Past that, STA; later on, having a large mana pool won't be important since you will be able to cannibalize indefinitely.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:12 PM
Banned

CHA
Old 05-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Sarnak

The way I look at it, HP is king, but WIS is better than STA. I personally prefer a full WIS dump which makes it less burdensome to focus your gear 100% on HP/AC and having WIS be a secondary stat as far as gear is concerned.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Sarnak

Oh, and Iksar = no JBB = fail

I can't even begin to fathom playing a shammy and not being able to use JBB. I think it's more useful than a fungi tunic (which is obviously a godly item for a shaman) but that does depend on your play style.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:11 AM
Sarnak

looks like its rangers and warriors givind advice here.

Wisdom = mana
Stamina = hp

go full wisdom, rest in stamina. dont worry abot anything else except having agi at 75. Do not go full sta, thats BS! WHat matters most is your mana pool. HP is secondary.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:26 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
looks like its rangers and warriors givind advice here.

Wisdom = mana
Stamina = hp

go full wisdom, rest in stamina. dont worry abot anything else except having agi at 75. Do not go full sta, thats BS! WHat matters most is your mana pool. HP is secondary.
Having a large pool of health is extremely important for a variety of reasons for a shaman, but either way, the returns on WIS greatly outweigh the returns on STA, and the more WIS you get from initial stats the less WIS you need from gear, and as such, the more you can focus it on HP.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:33 AM
Planar Protector

In my opinion, the size of a shaman's mana pool isn't really relevant 99.9% of the time. Our power lies in our ability to recoup that spent mana. I think you will be hard-pressed to find even a raid encounter where an extra 200 max mana would make a difference. Playing a shaman, like many classes, is all about balancing your actions.

That being said, I feel that attempting to stack stamina on a shaman at the serious expense of wisdom is rather an effort in vain. Shamans (at least as a barb, I assume the same for other races) only receive 3 life per point of stamina. My planar breastplate has 9 stamina and only returns 27 life =P I assume the return drops above 200 or some amount, similar to wisdom. Up to 200 wisdom we receive 10 mana per point. So while I do consider life the more important attribute, I think in general one should seek to achieve 200 wisdom first. It is at this point, as one begins to accumulate more and more wisdom, that one can seek to swap in items with +hp and +mana. I think any shaman would be hard-pressed to accrue an additional 50 stamina through initial points and gear, and even if that was managed, you'd only yield 150 life.