Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 07:43 PM
Large Bat

Default I'm a N00b

Hiii. Thinking about installing this on my Linux machine which I'm sure will be LOTS of fun. Before I sort through the blank screens, no sounds, and random crashes with Wine I was wondering what I need to know before I get started?

I've played everquest but not much at all. It was like 16 years ago and I never got anywhere. If I started playing Project 1999 what do I need to know? What class and race should I be if my EQ IQ is 0? What should I do when I log in?
Old 12-16-2016, 09:25 PM
Large Rat

Honestly, class shouldn't make much of a difference. '99 is slow enough that you'll learn the character as you need. Really just breaks down to what you want to do: do you want to tank, deal damage and possibly off tank, heal/buff or be a Mage? Me personally, I'd probably recommend a 'good' race as a starter so you don't have to worry about traveling for merchants and such as most of the areas you'll be going to for groups are surrounded by good factions. If you decide to start, I'd keep the wiki open in the background so you can check up on guides and such. There's quite a few helpful newbie guides on there that can set you on the right path.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:28 PM
Banned

A rogue is a great first character you can just hang and observe in a group and slowly get acclimated while being an asset even if you dont have that great gear cus u can just stab stab stab
Old 12-16-2016, 10:42 PM
Large Rat

You have to sit to regain health and mana. It takes a lot more time than most games to regain these things. It's part of the fun I think. If I could do it over again I'd be a pet class for my first character. Either a necromancer or a magician. You'll have a much easier time soloing while still being a valued member of any group. I would personally try and start near freeport. Either be a human or a dark elf. Collect bone chips and sell them to others in nearby East Commonlands.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:05 PM
Large Bat

It's just things I've ran into with other programs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Never had any of these issues with wine.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:10 PM
Large Bat

Yeah I get the sit to regain mana and health. Old school FFXI was like that. I see it as a positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geinsta [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You have to sit to regain health and mana. It takes a lot more time than most games to regain these things. It's part of the fun I think. If I could do it over again I'd be a pet class for my first character. Either a necromancer or a magician. You'll have a much easier time soloing while still being a valued member of any group. I would personally try and start near freeport. Either be a human or a dark elf. Collect bone chips and sell them to others in nearby East Commonlands.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:53 AM
Fire Giant

Magician might be a nice first character. Class is not complicated and quite powerfull, especially at lower levels (though you need level 4 for your first pets). Druid is nice as a starter as well, not hard to play and you get a lot of options later. Stay away from the complicated classes like enchanter or bard unless you want a challenge. Necro might be a happy medium.

I wouldnt recommend a melee as a first class, but if you like that style... equipment is kinda cheap now on this server, so you don't have to grind quite as much as on a newer server.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:15 AM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to kingsBlend

Did you get it working good on wine? I'm curious because I tried myself and gave up after a headache.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:37 PM
Large Bat

I can launch the game but I can't login still. I've made two different accounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsBlend [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did you get it working good on wine? I'm curious because I tried myself and gave up after a headache.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:45 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can launch the game but I can't login still. I've made two different accounts.
I just wanted to comment on this post as I happened to come across it. Ive installed EQ in Linux several times, and have found out that alot of times wifi has a problem connecting thru wine/playon linux. But a wired ethernet connection fixes those issues. Im not sure if theres a workaround for wifi connection problems or not.
Closed Thread