Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 02:15 PM
Sarnak

Default Solo Melee class

Hey all, I am interested in progressing with either my ranger or my SK. they are both in their early 30s and equally geared. I am thinking about dropping a good amount of money on one of them and would like to progress with them, primarily solo. Which class would this be easier with (factoring both ease of play as well as ease to gear them). Which would be better end game for farming purposes? Is one more boring than the other later on? I really like having track and sow and exploring but SK feels more powerful in general. I really enjoy both classes and will most likely keep playing both to some degree. Just curious what the communities take was from a solo perspective. Thanks

-M
Old 05-27-2017, 02:37 PM
Planar Protector

given those two class choices I'd go SK for a better solo farm char at 60. Ranger is good though for sniping nameds. (Such as tt spawn cycle mobs) -- but neither is known for their solo camp game. SK FD and ability to fear kite would give them the edge imho.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 05-27-2017, 02:48 PM
Fire Giant

Both can fear kite which ups their solo viability way over any other melee classes, even monks. Rangers are limited to animal fears, though, which aren't known for having a lot of valuable drops or even incidental cash. Shadowknights have far lower dps and kills will take longer, but they can fear darn near anything and have the added survivability of feign death and self healing through lifetaps.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:52 PM
Aviak

Ranger
Old 05-27-2017, 04:04 PM
Planar Protector

Despite lower dps I'd wager the SK would be capable of downing HARDER mobs with improved defensive, lifetap, and a fear that works on all mob types. Hunting harder content is also infinitely safer as you always have the option of FD if it goes wrong.

For more routine content, ranger will kill faster and have less downtime in my opinion - especially once they can self buff with chloro regen. SK will be stuck with only lifetaps and passive regen.

Neither are really great for solo ... but then again no melee is really. Monks are probably still the best with higher dps, great defense, mend, fd, and bandaids that become pretty awesome at 201 skill and up.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 05-27-2017, 04:45 PM
Banned

rangers eventually get a slow proc weapon which is a pretty huge deal when it comes to soloability

Then again, SKs get FD, which basically makes them 100x better for anything when it comes to solo because you'll eat a lot less CRs
Old 05-27-2017, 10:44 PM
Banned

that is probably the most aesthetic sig u've had yet swish b t w
Old 05-28-2017, 02:47 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Both can fear kite which ups their solo viability way over any other melee classes, even monks
LOL WHUT? No other melee class can come close to what monk can accomplish solo, it's not even close. it's Monk #1 and every other melee class a distance 3rd place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ranger. SK's really can't solo too well at later levels.
This^

Had a main troll sk on live from classic to now, the higher you get up in level the more you fall behind in the ability to solo effectively -especially named -unless they're 20 or 30 levels below you.

Really should just pick a Caster class if you want to solo, the things you can do with a necro or Shaman (the two classes I played) is so far beyond what the few things you're going to be able to solo as a melee class.

Edit- if I had to pick I would definitely pick ranger, SK is incredibly gear dependent along with the other problems as you get up in level versus the Mobs
Old 05-28-2017, 10:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
LOL WHUT? No other melee class can come close to what monk can accomplish solo, it's not even close. it's Monk #1 and every other melee class a distance 3rd place.
I've soloed Sir Lucan (both versions, with a full guard spawn) on my 60 ranger, self-buffed, without using a single clicky. I challenge any monk to do the same.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:24 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've soloed Sir Lucan (both versions, with a full guard spawn) on my 60 ranger, self-buffed, without using a single clicky. I challenge any monk to do the same.
Have also seen SK's do this. Time for monks to head back to the Ashy Order and learn a few things.
Closed Thread