Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Kobold

Default Classic PvP-Server

Ok, I started playing on Secrets new TZVZ server a few weeks ago, and realized how much I love world pvp in EQ, and it brought back a lot fo memories from back in my RZ days.

That being said, Secrets server has lots of problems. Thoes of us who have played there know what they are, no reason for me to go into a list. I know Secrets is a brilliant fellow, and a great coder and all, but quite absent after putting the new server up.

I have the ability, resources (hardware), and c++ knowledge to run my own server, and I'm pretty sure I'm tired of waiting for Secrets to fix his box, or for P99 devs to give us a Red box (if they do, or dont, intend to isnt the question).

What I need is this:
1.) A couple GM's that are willing to dedicate a couple (5 - 6) hours a week to handle the standard stuff. Monitoring playerbase (for hax, we arent babysitters), unsticking corpses, unbugging quests...etc

2.) Another developer who's at least partially familiar with the EQEmu code base and a pretty sharp c++ developer.

3.) An understanding from the player base, that I can put a server up in the next 3 or 4 days, and patch it every couple of nights as we go forward - but it's not going to start bug free or hacker free, but eventually it'd be at a controllable limit.

Any interest, or are we all sold on Secrets, and or, waiting for R99?
Old 07-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Planar Protector

Anyone that hosts a PVP box and devotes time and effort into updates / fixes and policing the server of hax deserves a debt of gratitude. I hope it works out for you.

Don't get me wrong, I like VZTZ. It's got a decent code base. And I hate seeing the PVP community diluted and divided among multiple servers. But without relatively constant interaction with the community by Secrets, an effort to fix things every week and actually giving Vile and them access to work on the server, it'll die out. I have no doubt that if he hadn't gone MIA so quickly, the server would have a constant 100+ population at this point.

Anyone that thinks that R99 is still coming just wont or cannot accept the truth. It's time we got a stable server run by stable people to PVP on. It's fairly obvious it would do pretty well, judging by how VZTZ did out the door even with all the bugs.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardalicious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone that hosts a PVP box and devotes time and effort into updates / fixes and policing the server of hax deserves a debt of gratitude. I hope it works out for you.

Don't get me wrong, I like VZTZ. It's got a decent code base. And I hate seeing the PVP community diluted and divided among multiple servers. But without relatively constant interaction with the community by Secrets, an effort to fix things every week and actually giving Vile and them access to work on the server, it'll die out. I have no doubt that if he hadn't gone MIA so quickly, the server would have a constant 100+ population at this point.

Anyone that thinks that R99 is still coming just wont or cannot accept the truth. It's time we got a stable server run by stable people to PVP on. It's fairly obvious it would do pretty well, judging by how VZTZ did out the door even with all the bugs.
I agree, Secrets had a good thing going, I like the codebase, he was quick to get a domain up, he even hired a couple of GM's - then vanished and never gave them access to anything.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Planar Protector

Did anyone besides Secrets and I think Rogean have the VZTZ code and DB? You may want to look into potentially getting that from someone, I'd say it would be a good starting point for what you want to do.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Orc

i really doubt they're gonna give up the VZTZ code.

anyway i'd love to help get a new pvp server going. i'm decent with C++ and have a few ideas for a server we could discuss. shoot me a PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Planar Protector

Yep that's why I was asking if anyone else had the code for it. I don't know the history of VZTZ but I would have to imagine someone else had access to it.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to deakolt

^ this is the problem with all these endeavors. No one wants to share their hard work. Open source is generally a good things guys...

Bulltrue
Deakolt
Old 07-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Kobold

I dont know if they'd give it up or not, but honestly, I'd probably rather start from the latest Emu sources, and build from there. I've heard from SOOO many people involved in the VZTZ project that they did all kinds of hacks and mickey mouse workarounds to get stuff going. There's about 5 main area's that need addressed from the current code base

1.) Bugs
2.) Classic PvP Ballance (iffy topic)
3.) Content
4.) Boxing
5.) Hacking

1,4,5 - I've got a good handle on. Almost finished a system to eliminate hacking previously, just never had a place to implement it.

Johnny - I'm after a truly classic experience (where it only differs when the classic experience had no meaning, and an educated decision exists to change it)

I'd like the help. Currently I'm getting the server put up, and a repository to work on the codebase and admin tools for the database. I should have the server up as a starting point to where we stand in a few hours, and source control access to code and db in the next few days.

I'll shoot any interested a PM and we'll get crackin!
Old 07-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Sarnak

Cool
Old 07-28-2011, 07:14 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny ringo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i really doubt they're gonna give up the VZTZ code.

anyway i'd love to help get a new pvp server going. i'm decent with C++ and have a few ideas for a server we could discuss. shoot me a PM.
You mean the thing that's been sitting on google code for a year and a half now?

I'd be MORE than glad to give the VZTZ server and what changes I have done so far to a team who isn't going to sully the name of PvP.

The matter of the fact is, the reason I have been reluctant to fix anything is because it's already fixed, and it would be a better idea for me to merge efforts with P1999 at this point instead of doing grunt work and competing with them. That's why I have spent time talking to Rogean and nilbog trying to get on board with Red99 and their PVE side of things as well, because let's face it EQ PVP is nothing without the PVE content and if the effort is already done, why not just help them? It's not like LoL where the maps are disposable and you can just restart the game each time, PVE content really matters in this game even for a PVP situation.

I know some people may not like Red99 or grinding xp, or the P1999 staff, but let's face it, Red99 is the only chance I have and the community has at fixing all these issues. It took them 2 years to fix all of the issues in p1999 so far with the developers they have now. Now, subtract 10 developers and 8-20 GMs throughout the years and you have my project. The development time to finish a classic PVP server will skyrocket because of that. So what does this mean, should you wait for P1999 red? No, play on my server as it's a quick fix for something that may happen later. I have boosted xp rates on purpose, it's made so you can PVP without having to invest time. P1999 red will be around to stay if it ever does happen. I am working my best with negotiations with their staff to make it happen, so that's more info than you've had in the last 3 months, there ya go.

I've had a few things in mind for when/if I do things with the p1999's staff's approval. This is purely speculation but likely I will be merging in code, tweaking player versus player combat to work with special PVP rules based on VZTZ's resist formulas and attack formulas, (And mind you, this will NEVER affect PVE combat directly.) etc.

I simply want to see this PVP server and a classic PVE server come to life. Is it something i'd play? Probably not, but for those few people who want nostalgia and fun, I'm willing to back you guys up. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Closed Thread