Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Aviak

This would be great. Stickies for links to the wiki pages for each class, sticky for epic (where the heck are the epics!), and all kinds of guides...ie I'm a druid and want to PL where do I go? or I'm a tank and cant keep aggro! or Intro to Mob Managment for the new enchanter with ADHD.

Sure there is a lot of info out there for Everquest, but it is getting very difficult to find relevant information to the classic game. The new stuff for EQ and EQ2 always make finding information difficult for old school zones, pre-revamp stategy and class tactics.

Considering how easy it is to add new topical forums, this should be simple. The Mods shouldn't have to work any harder as the threads go where they belong instead of in Server or Technical or blah blah blah forums and it may actually just make things easier for everyone since the organisation makes new posts readily viewable from the main forum and if you don't want to see them you can close them with the double up arrow on the right.

Love the idea. Do it already!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Planar Protector

http://wiki.project1999.org/index.ph...pic_Quest_List

It's just as easy to search for the info. I'm guessing most don't know the Wiki page exists.

Also, the Wayback machine works for the 10% or so the Wiki page won't help with.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://wiki.project1999.org/index.ph...pic_Quest_List

It's just as easy to search for the info. I'm guessing most don't know the Wiki page exists.

Also, the Wayback machine works for the 10% or so the Wiki page won't help with.
The wiki doesn't help at all with playstyle questions like, "How does Wizard dps compare at higher levels? Which spell should I use? Where is a good soloing spot for class x at level y with item z?

Maybe you'd be surprised a lot of this stuff doesn't show up very well in forum searches either, and the wayback machine is going to give you a hodgepodge of results from Kunark to Gates of Discord and Beyond, not to mention a lack of the tailored, incisive discussion you might find on a forum.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephirith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The wiki doesn't help at all with playstyle questions like, "How does Wizard dps compare at higher levels? Which spell should I use? Where is a good soloing spot for class x at level y with item z?

Maybe you'd be surprised a lot of this stuff doesn't show up very well in forum searches either, and the wayback machine is going to give you a hodgepodge of results from Kunark to Gates of Discord and Beyond, not to mention a lack of the tailored, incisive discussion you might find on a forum.
I know it's not the universal cure but the game is pretty straight forward and unapologetic. Not all classes can dps, tank and heal depending on spells/gear like some games.

Are you a high DPS? = Yes, you have low versatility. No, you have versatility.
Are you a "pure" caster/melee? = Yes, you have a general advantage over priests and hybrids for DPS.

Rogue vs Wizard? Who gives a crap? Both are dps slots and a raid or group can benefit from either.

I'm not trying to be a dick but this game has 12 years of information. Google isn't beta anymore, dial-ups are dead. The wiki page is about 5 times more education than Sony ever gave us.

Fact is a creative player is going to find their own rotation and methodology. The starter guide gets people going in the right direction but what distinguishes A from B is the sweat and blood from lvl 30+.

I'm supportive of a class section but it's not "needed". It would declutter the repeated questions.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Banned

Good idea imo. Would be nice for new comers.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Sarnak

Yes please. And the wiki is far from complete/correct, just FYI.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin76 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes please. And the wiki is far from complete/correct, just FYI.
You get what you pay for. In this case, much much more.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know it's not the universal cure but the game is pretty straight forward and unapologetic. Not all classes can dps, tank and heal depending on spells/gear like some games.

Are you a high DPS? = Yes, you have low versatility. No, you have versatility.
Are you a "pure" caster/melee? = Yes, you have a general advantage over priests and hybrids for DPS.

Rogue vs Wizard? Who gives a crap? Both are dps slots and a raid or group can benefit from either.

I'm not trying to be a dick but this game has 12 years of information. Google isn't beta anymore, dial-ups are dead. The wiki page is about 5 times more education than Sony ever gave us.

Fact is a creative player is going to find their own rotation and methodology. The starter guide gets people going in the right direction but what distinguishes A from B is the sweat and blood from lvl 30+.

I'm supportive of a class section but it's not "needed". It would declutter the repeated questions.
just fyi not every class has only 1 button to press during combat. some classes have very high skill caps such as bards and enchanters and have a lot to discuss. i could probably write a 20 page essay on the nuances of enchanter mezzes. for instance: did you know that low level mezzes always overwrite high level mezzes but never the other way around? useful information if you have multiple enchanters stepping on each other's dicks during a raid, or you want to charm a mob that you used a long duration mez on. some of that shit is on the wiki but a lot of it is from out of date guides that don't reflect how things work.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Banned

Part of the fun is looking things up on your own, or just asking about them. I never liked the modern era of "everything is on WoWHead" or a UI does it for you.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Planar Protector

Edit: Fuck it. I don't care.

I vote for the class discussion threads too because happy people make me happy.
Last edited by Snaggles; 11-08-2011 at 03:38 PM..
Closed Thread