Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 03:02 AM
Sarnak

hmmmmm interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cp3j-7yz3I
Old 04-30-2012, 03:17 AM
Aviak

The problem is Sony has no idea how to make a top-tier MMO. Even with EverQuest, they snatched it up when it was raw and exciting and proceeded to pummel it to death ever since.

As much as I'd love to see EQ Next return this genre to some of it's roots and make MMOs exciting again, I know the company creating it just doesn't have the capability to produce a top-tier MMO. I'm expecting to see a hybrid mash-up of modern MMO conventions with maybe a cash shop and EverQuest themed races and places.

Don't get me wrong though, I'll keep an eye on this title with firm devotion until it's close to launch. Maybe it's a fool's hope, but I DO want to proven wrong on this. But there's too many old sayings (where there's smoke there's fire / leapord can't change it's spots / walks like a duck, talks like a duck, etc) that suggest this won't be a deviation from their normal business model.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Aviak

I fear that there will never again be an MMO that I want to play. They will all have fast travel, no death penalty, and be a treadmill gear grind. That's what the masses like. It kind of sucks to not be one of the masses.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by envino [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I fear that there will never again be an MMO that I want to play. They will all have fast travel, no death penalty, and be a treadmill gear grind. That's what the masses like. It kind of sucks to not be one of the masses.
this.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem is Sony has no idea how to make a top-tier MMO. Even with EverQuest, they snatched it up when it was raw and exciting and proceeded to pummel it to death ever since.

As much as I'd love to see EQ Next return this genre to some of it's roots and make MMOs exciting again, I know the company creating it just doesn't have the capability to produce a top-tier MMO. I'm expecting to see a hybrid mash-up of modern MMO conventions with maybe a cash shop and EverQuest themed races and places.

Don't get me wrong though, I'll keep an eye on this title with firm devotion until it's close to launch. Maybe it's a fool's hope, but I DO want to proven wrong on this. But there's too many old sayings (where there's smoke there's fire / leapord can't change it's spots / walks like a duck, talks like a duck, etc) that suggest this won't be a deviation from their normal business model.
LOL I could have written these exact words myself. I'll go futher even. Smed and company to this day do not understand what EQ is all about. They only see it in terms of financial success. They have no gaming soul.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Sarnak

i want Planetside Classic
Old 04-30-2012, 02:17 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithel1988 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i want Planetside Classic
I'm on the fence; I LOVE sniping BFRs because I know how much it pisses off the people that use them.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwatt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
LOL I could have written these exact words myself. I'll go futher even. Smed and company to this day do not understand what EQ is all about. They only see it in terms of financial success. They have no gaming soul.
You guys realize Sony has been in control of Everquest since before it's release, since it's very inception. As has Smedly who was the original person to gain the funding for Everquest from Sony. That Verant was just a subsidiary division of 989 Studios, which itself was a division of Sony, after 989 decided to focus on the Playstation and that they were reformed into the SoE you see today. You know all that right.....right?

Of course you don't, you see, hear, and believe what you want to believe.

QUICKLY MEN! I HEARD THEY'RE PUTTING CATS ON THE MOON. GATHER YOUR PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES WE MUST BURN THE HEATHENS!
Old 04-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by uygi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe some day I'll have the cash to produce my post-apocalyptic MMO!
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Project_V13
Old 04-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloine36 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think what the MMOs need is a game where it's based on the progression and not so much the end game.
Yeah. EQ seems to be the only MMO I've ever played (and I've played a bunch of them in the last 13 years) where the journey to max level was a bigger deal than being max level.

A few different MMOs exist/have existed where players could be real contributors to raids/pvp/whatever without actually being max level themselves... but even those aren't too common I guess.
Last edited by fischsemmel; 04-30-2012 at 02:50 PM..
Closed Thread