Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Aviak

Based on what Smed said I'm actually excited and want to check EQNext out. I'm glad to see they pulled back what they were doing and changed directions because he is right. Why have just another cloned EQ/WoW game?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Sarnak

looking forward to it and saving up for a new laptop when it comes out.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloine36 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Based on what Smed said I'm actually excited and want to check EQNext out. I'm glad to see they pulled back what they were doing and changed directions because he is right. Why have just another cloned EQ/WoW game?
Keep in mind almost every MMO since WoW has claimed not to be a clone, but has been anyway. It's rhetoric and I'm not expecting it to pan out.

The next great MMO is going to come from a team of developers who aren't under a profit-pressure from a bunch of MBA executives, or from a corporate culture that harbors creativity and forward thinking-- not milking an IP.
Last edited by Ephirith; 11-20-2012 at 05:41 PM..
Old 11-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Banned

sandbox sandbox sandbox sandbox
Old 11-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Orc

We will never get another "Everquest" type/style of game, and that because Everquest was made in a time when gaming was expensive, difficult, and taboo. Brad and Steve were passionate about games, they were working in a nursery when Smed asked them to come create Everquest. In my opinion its not about the passion anymore, its about the dollars, MMO's and Gaming in general have become an industry where there is a lot cash to be made, where as in 1999/2000 it was an art, something that people put their soul into make it as good as possible, even at the expense of profit. Most of the original eq dev team was gone by 2002. I'm almost certain all the great minds that fostered and created EQ are gone by now and want nothing to do with Smed or SOE.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Banned

WOE IS ME GAMING IS MADE FOR PROFIT WAAAAH

You probably think Verant sold out to SoE as well.

There are plenty of absolutely great games out there, fucking PS2 just launched and Smedley's name is being sung by angels, for fucks sake, Smed is playing EVE right now to get a good idea of how a sandbox game should be set up for EQN.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephirith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Keep in mind almost every MMO since WoW has claimed not to be a clone, but has been anyway. It's rhetoric and I'm not expecting it to pan out.

The next great MMO is going to come from a team of developers who aren't under a profit-pressure from a bunch of MBA executives, or from a corporate culture that harbors creativity and forward thinking-- not milking an IP.
TESO!
It's pretty clear he's become one of the people he described as No-life Nerds and Server Bullies.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Banned

TESO looks like WoW with bad, clunky TERA combat mechanics.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

For the reasons others on thread thread already gave ...

There is as much chance of another Led Zeppelin.

Culture and social changes, sad as they are, have dragged gamer expectations into a gutter it won't climb out of. Games are no longer built for the true world simulation concepts of selflessness, social responsibility and danger that EQ was.

The few Golden Era of MMO pillars like EQ will survive ala P99, as an emulated island in time where like-minded folks can still find each other.

Btw, I expect some players from City of Heroes to find their way to P99 as the game is closed down as of 11/30 (I'm sure some already were playing both). Despite it being a very different game overall, its spirit of Golden Era MMO community makes it surprisingly close to P99 - and that is a Big Deal to those losing the game soon, just like it is a Big Deal to why people are playing on P99 to begin with.

Be glad you all have P99, the CoH folks have no alternative except to watch the world go dark in a few days. There are no emulators at all for the game to date.

P.S.> One way you can easily tell that CoH folks are a very similar dedicated bunch to EQ, take a look at some of the videos they have posted trying to either save the game from closing, or to say goodbye. Reminds me of some of the same things posted over the years by the more creative EQ players on Live.

Save City of Heroes

Memories
Last edited by redgiant; 11-20-2012 at 11:43 PM..
Old 11-20-2012, 11:45 PM
Aviak

Led Zeppelin was Led Zeppelin and it was great.
The Foo Fighters are The Foo Fighters and it was great.
To say there will be no more great games is too absolute. There will be more. They just haven't arrived yet or haven't been developed yet.