Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 02:18 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownrage [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
same issue for me on my macbook air using Crossover Games.
Oh, yes technically he is using Crossover Games too. I was oversimplifying by calling it wine. His is a Macbook Pro running Lion.

I'm baffled. All we did was add the files from the new zip and it now claims there are missing client files with a .dll error.

Something HAS to be calling something native to Windows that is missing from a Crossover Games installation... right?
Old 08-14-2011, 02:19 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by andvarion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You sound like exactly the person to have the knowledge I'm looking for. =)

Why would one be getting this (see the attached screenshot) after patching on a Mac wine installation? We logged on, saw the message to update the spells file with the new eqchanges.zip, did so, and then got that error message.

If it's injecting DLLs and calling DLLs and all sorts of other mumbo jumbo that I only vaguely comprehend, is it trying to call something from Windows that might be missing in a wine installation?

Things are working fine on my Windows machine (aside from the bug mentioned in here about having to log completely out to change characters), so I copied my entire install folder over to my friend's Mac in hopes that would solve his problem. Gave the same error.

Thoughts?
Honestly I can only speculate.

EQLive validates files at various times to prevent hijack attempts (Such as loading to Character select, and zoning); it does this by performing a CRC32, and sending it to the server for validation. EQEmu code by default does not have any validation for specific files, it's a feature they've added here on P1999. If an incorrect CRC32 is sent, it populates the character select with bogus character names and disallows entry. This is a good thing, or we'd have people tweaking spells for their entertainment (such as making See Invis also provide ultravision and levitate).

I tried connecting w/o installing the new eqgame.dll and wsock32.dll, but with the new spells file. Until the recent patch, that was all you actually required. Anyway, it ended up failing. There is a DLL Error code in the bottom character slot. Based on what I've observed, this should only occur if there is trouble accessing those files.

It's quite possible that your windows-emulator is trying to access WSock32.dll, the default one they wrote for Wine instead of the one I mentioned as being altered for DLL-Injection. This is my best guess for you, sorry. There may be a way to manually select the DLL you want to load in Wine.

I did a quick google search on this scenario and game up with this:
http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.ph...c9ab042a064406

Seems to support my theory.. Should give you some grounds to find a solution. (BTW, this probably also means it doesn't work in Linux anymore either. People have been using Wine in Linux)

edit: I'm on top of things apparently..

Try this fix @ the bottom of the how-to section.
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rnTo=&iId=4242
  • 1. Download the patch from Project1999.org
  • 2. Save it in your EQ folder and extract it.
  • 3. Open winecfg or Wine->Configure Wine from the application menu.
  • 4. Add an overwrite rule for wsock32.dll

I dont have Wine, so I can't test it myself.

Originally from Tarew Marr. May it rest in peace, as it died to become Drinal :'(
Last edited by Kobias; 08-14-2011 at 02:25 AM.. Reason: possible fix
Old 08-14-2011, 02:20 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedala [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I got that too everytime i wanna switch chars i have to close the game and restart, i think everyone has this? a lot of guildmates do.
If you're referring to my screenshot, note that it is a bit different than the other situation. I, and you, and yes I think everybody is experiencing the incorrect spells file issue when trying to log on to different characters. As that screenshot shows though, that is a "missing client files" issue that prevents logging into the game altogether. And, to my knowledge so far, is only happening with emulated Windows on Macs.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:23 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly I can only speculate.

EQLive validates files at various times to prevent hijack attempts (Such as loading to Character select, and zoning); it does this by performing a CRC32, and sending it to the server for validation. EQEmu code by default does not have any validation for specific files, it's a feature they've added here on P1999. If an incorrect CRC32 is sent, it populates the character select with bogus character names and disallows entry. This is a good thing, or we'd have people tweaking spells for their entertainment (such as making See Invis also provide ultravision and levitate).

I tried connecting w/o installing the new eqgame.dll and wsock32.dll, but with the new spells file. Until the recent patch, that was all you actually required. Anyway, it ended up failing. There is a DLL Error code in the bottom character slot. Based on what I've observed, this should only occur if there is trouble accessing those files.

It's quite possible that your windows-emulator is trying to access WSock32.dll, the default one they wrote for Wine instead of the one I mentioned as being altered for DLL-Injection. This is my best guess for you, sorry. There may be a way to manually select the DLL you want to load in Wine.

I did a quick google search on this scenario and game up with this:
http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.ph...c9ab042a064406

Seems to support my theory.. Should give you some grounds to find a solution. (BTW, this probably also means it doesn't work in Linux anymore either. People have been using Wine in Linux)
Awesome! I will comb through that thread and see if I can find something useful for the few people here who play on Macs. He is also getting the DLL error in the bottom character slot. My attached images weren't displaying very large, so I just embedded an image that should be easier to read/see.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:35 AM
Aviak

Bah. I read through that thread and can't figure out how to apply it. Way over my head. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction though.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:37 AM
Aviak

The main problem I have seen is that for some reason, a lot of my friends and my EQ files are sort of admin blocked, so we have to manually cut and paste the files into our EQ folder. So just extract the patch to your desktop, then cut and paste them into your EQ folder. Worked for me.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:39 AM
Decaying Skeleton

My friend found the solution, instead of extracting the files directly to the folder, try extracting them to a temp folder, then copying them into your EQ directory. I did that and it's working fine for me now.

Also my first post, hello everyone.

EDIT: I just noticed my friend (Crug) posted the solution right before I posted it, oops.
Last edited by Solid Snape; 08-14-2011 at 02:42 AM..
Old 08-14-2011, 02:52 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Try this fix @ the bottom of the how-to section.
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rnTo=&iId=4242
  • 1. Download the patch from Project1999.org
  • 2. Save it in your EQ folder and extract it.
  • 3. Open winecfg or Wine->Configure Wine from the application menu.
  • 4. Add an overwrite rule for wsock32.dll

I dont have Wine, so I can't test it myself.
Thx Kobias, this works for me.

Still have the SP-1 error while switching chars tho.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:59 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Awesome, glad to hear that.

Yeah, I have that problem too.. you're not alone. I'm running Win7 natively, so it seems to be affecting everyone.

They might have forgot to update one of the CRC32 checksum values server-side during that step. Hope they'll fix it soon... It's a little annoying =)

Originally from Tarew Marr. May it rest in peace, as it died to become Drinal :'(
Old 08-14-2011, 03:27 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Any ideas on how to apply this to Crossover Games which basically uses WINE?
Closed Thread