Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I realize that - I experienced the shit-fest that is TT for fully eight months before trying that fix, and it worked. I haven't had a *single* problem moving through TT, which I do anytime I gate, for a long time.

I've had desync issues where my client is clearly running at a higher framerate than the game world (i.e. I'll cast and my animation completes in 2 seconds for a 4 second spell) so there could be a disconnect there.

If you're asking me why exactly it works, you're barking up the wrong tree. I'm just saying that I had the fucking issue, what I did as a fix fucking worked, and to fucking try it because maybe it'll just fucking work for you too.
Lol

I...I don't even

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 12-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Fire Giant

If anyone who is having problems has knowledge of the technical stuffz, follow the Nilbog quote. The reason you desync is a loss of packets. For some reason, something you are sending / being sent in TT is causing issues. This can be an overflow of packets, or maybe a mis-signed packet that gets filtered out at a router. Or...one of a hundred reasons. Seeing these packets and why they get lost can help the team fix the problem tremendously.

I just moved to California, but haven't played enough to go to TT yet. If I am having problems, I'll post up a guide on how to gather your packets, and send only the important ones to Nilbog. If I don't have problems...then... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

THE FOLLOWING IS A GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF HOW SERVER-CLIENT INTERACTION CAN LEAD TO CAPPING FRAMERATE IMPROVING LAG
As for why setting max-framerates can fix lag issues. Games work in a manner where you send packets every X "seconds". Typically this is synced to the framerate of your game. Especially old games where the idea of "running too fast" wasn't even conceivable. By limiting your framerate to 60FPS, you are only sending 'x * 60 packets per second', where X is the normal # of packets needed to run the game.

Why is this useful? The server is set up similar to the client. You can only process X packets per second. For the server, this is a much more consistent amount. So sending 200 packets per second vs 60 packets per second means you are more in-sync with what the server is expecting. E.G., if you are sending 200 packets per second, every milimeter you move is sent to the server. That means when the server processes the information, by the time it gets to the "tic" you aren't in the position on your client that the server thinks you are. You then "lag back" some because the server thinks you are in a different position.

TL;DR
This might not be exactly how it works, but this is how gaming in the late 90's worked in general. In general the idea of capping your framerate makes sure you send the right information in the right order to the server. Clients in the 90's/early 00's were stupid, so I'm not surprised if packet overflow is an issue with the framerates of today.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Fire Giant

Thank you for that.

It appears this isn't limited to just EMU clients -

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/i...-to-fast.2563/

Interesting to know the Framerate slider is possibly a percentage (of what?) and not an integer.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm just saying that I had the fucking issue, what I did as a fix fucking worked, and to fucking try it because maybe it'll just fucking work for you too.
Brick Top translation: "Listen, you fucking fringe, if I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not"
Old 12-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Fire Giant

You stop me again whilst I'm syncing and I'll cut your fucking framerate off.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Banned

For the lols, I played with frame rates

I want my 2 hours of de syncing back. Moron.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Banned

Never had any Issue with TT (I am from France)
Old 12-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buriedpast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For the lols, I played with frame rates

I want my 2 hours of de syncing back. Moron.
You took two hours to find out that fix didn't work for you and you're calling someone else a moron?

No wonder you can't fix your own problems - you're a fucking toad in people clothing.