Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Monk Income Dilemma: Create Farming Character or Press Forward?

Hello everyone,

I have been playing casually on P1999 as a monk for the last couple of months and have reached level 25. I have had a wonderful time thus far, and have acquired a full set of cured silk, Wu's Quivering staff, and miscellaneous lowbie monk items. Most of this equipment came from selling bone chips and a few generous donations.

Sadly, I am at about 15 pounds and unable to loot cash/drops from mobs. I have no means to upgrade my equipment because I cannot earn plat without dramatically lowering my AC. I do not see this problem improving anytime soon and am considering a few options:

(1) Do I simply press forward on my monk and consider intentionally cash farming at higher levels? For example, should I grind to 35-40ish and then camp lowbie cash camps [bronze weapons; etc.]? Does access to plat improve for monks at any levels before 50?

(2) Am I missing or am close in level to any good exp/cash camps for classes with severe weight restrictions?

(3) Do I start ignoring weight and loot? If so, what is a reasonable weight limit? I find that going over 5-10 pounds starts impacting my AC and performance in combat.

(4) Should I consider making a cash-farming character, such as a druid, to farm plat? This is not a desirable option, however, because I have a ton of fun playing my monk and have very limited play time.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 12-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Planar Protector

If you're looking at truly serious cash, monk will -never- provide those kind of returns. PLing would be your steadiest source of income and that's only when you're very well geared. Duo'ing fungus king / crypt is also an option I suppose. Shm / enc will have far better returns for the most part.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Apologies for the ambiguity.

I am not interested in serious cash. I am more interested in gearing my monk decently with reasonable equipment. Realistic goals include a FBSS, IFS, and 55hp/5ac rings at some point. I am not concerned with obtaining high-end, incredibly expensive gear.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Planar Protector

If that is the sort of stuff you are looking for then you should just keep going with your toon, assuming you enjoy playing a monk.

You will make enough money as you level to buy that type of gear.

It does suck playing an untwinked character on a server where most of the other low lvl folks you meet are twinked to the nines...including epics for some classes. If you enjoy the class though then I don't think pausing until you level another toon high enough to twink out your monk is worth it.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Planar Protector

Power gamers may disagree, but I say play the character you want to play, and don't think so hard about gear. The gear you have should be good enough to level with, and really no one cares about gear when they invite you to join a group (well, that's not really true, but they don't care beyond "twink vs. non-twink"). You'll never see (for instance) anyone /shout "LFM ... except poorly geared monks".

Once you get higher up you can try and find groups that involve killing mobs that drop good gear for you, and slowly equip yourself that way. Or you can find a good partner (eg. a shaman) to duo with, and go for specific pieces that way.

Ultimately I'm a big believer in "level first, worry about gear later", and while being an un-twinked monk might complicate that a bit, I still think it beats playing a class you don't want to play just to farm plat.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:12 PM
Planar Protector

It depends, do you want that gear to have while you level up or do you just want that gear some day and it can happen when you're 50+? At 50 you can farm enough of the right things to buy the gear you're talking about as a monk.

If you want to use it while leveling the monk then you'll be best off building a farmer char. Necros, Encs, Shaman can do this.

At your current level you can probably farm bronze dropping mobs and get enough for your 55hp rings in pretty short order, the FBSS will take you significantly longer though.

You could get a couple more levels and then try farming sarnak legionnaires in LOIO for a bracer of the hidden, but I'm guessing by its price and the level of the mob that drops them it's a very rare drop.

Edit: Just a note, I support the 'stick with it' unless you have a desire to level another class. One possible option is to follow this leveling guide: http://wiki.project1999.com/Ultimate...ng_Money_Guide with a new class.

Since each of these spots tends to have fairly high competition you could just park your char at the appropriate place for your level, pop in at the start of your play time. If someone has the camp log and switch back to your monk. If the camp is free then go about your merry way. Casters will not really need any gear whatsoever until 30+ and if you stay at each camp a little longer than usual you can get away with not having the gear.

Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumyums Inmahtumtums [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

1-12: continue to do quests that yield cash like rabid animal quests, early bandit sashes etc...
12-17: bandits in lfay drop bronze. Dervs in nro drop bronze. Willowisps drop lightstones and greater lightstones. If you can find groupage in Highpass can also try and get dark wood shield, shralok pack and DA idol as EC loot.
18-25: Gargoyles in oot, bard diet (various places), Erudin guards, start on mammoths in EF, at 24 or so can start on HHK goblins for ears and FS, inky guards in Nektulos.
26-34: sisters in oot, gnolls in sk or paw (FS, plat and lariats for player trade), SolA for vendor loots and smithing material (again another player trade).
35-39: giant fort in FM, can start on giants in RM.
39-50: spectres and giants (RM).

Most of all have fun and don't worry too much about the loot. As was stated earlier, it comes much faster at higher levels and rightfully so - the cost of the highest level gear is just that much more.

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Last edited by baalzy; 12-18-2013 at 07:20 PM..
Old 12-18-2013, 07:15 PM
Planar Protector

Isn't AC basically broken here? Will going a few stones over really hurt your damage mitigation? Even if it does, each stone over weight is like 3ac difference. 40p weighs 1 stone. So if you loot coin only and destroy all but pp, you can carry like 400p at a cost of 30ac. Not tragic.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orruar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Isn't AC basically broken here? Will going a few stones over really hurt your damage mitigation? Even if it does, each stone over weight is like 3ac difference. 40p weighs 1 stone. So if you loot coin only and destroy all but pp, you can carry like 400p at a cost of 30ac. Not tragic.
Or definitely ask people you're grouped with if they'll trade your gold for plat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Planar Protector

You don't need to farm to make plat.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Fire Giant

Heya

Been playing a monk lately myself and your gear is fine. I am still using cured silk at 37. I also still use the wu quivering staff.

1) buy mage or shamy summoned bags before you start to xp. These are 100 % wt reducing.

2) Warsilk woods is excellent spot for you to xp at 25. grouping Giant fort has good xp rate and chance at decent loot drops. Various 3 to 6 spawns around zone with iksar Manslayer , Pariah, and Exiles. These three type of mobs are easily single pulled through sneak pulling or feighn death. The above mentioned iksar also drop a nice steady variety of gems up to opals, Research , and very steady supply of balanced and finely crafted weapons each selling about 2platinum each.

3) if you get bored here you can try the Iksar exile camp in Swamp of no Hope near track teeth zone line. 9 exiles total. 3 spawn and 6 spawn. these are 7 min timer. These mobs have same gem and research , weapon drop rates as warsilk.

I ground level 26 to 32 in this last mentioned camp would run to fiona to sell not to hard to do.

Garue 49th Level Half Elf Warrior // Buskier 34th Level Human Cleric // Shoul Der 37 th level human monk.

32 to 37 i did sarnak fort front door and courtyard area after the gate. I have to say those sarnaks are rich lots of gems and research of them.
Last edited by Buellen; 12-18-2013 at 08:07 PM..
Closed Thread