Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomishfirework [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Klath, I would love to get a download if you ever find out if its allowed. seems useful.

technically, you could have done this in classic it just reads logs, and its not showeq where it shows you thinks you cant see.

Should be allowed, but i wouldnt use it until you are sure.
My petition hasn't been answered but from what people have said it seems like this type of log parser probably isn't a violation of the server rules. Still, use at your own risk.

The following RAR file contains an MSI file you can use to install on your system. If you want to get rid of the software you can use the "Programs and Features" app in the control panel and uninstall EQGPS.

http://rapidshare.com/files/3563361625/EQGPSSetup.rar

I've included maps for most of the zones but some of them may be misnamed. In order to identify when you have zoned and a new map needs to be loaded I look for log entries like...

[Fri Oct 22 15:51:18 2010] You have entered East Commonlands.

...and derive the name of the zone by taking the text between the phrase "You have entered " and the terminating period. Since I don't have a character that can easily get to all of the zones I've had to guess at some of the names. So, if you zone in some place and don't see a map, look in the directory where you installed to and see if there is a map image and an ini file that might represent your zone and rename them accordingly. If you stumble across one of these, let me know the correct name.

I haven't included maps for these zones...

Crypt of Dalnir
Mines of Nurga
Temple of Droga
The Arena

...but if someone has and can post the corresponding "You have entered" line from their log, I'll add the maps and calibrations.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Aviak

So risky....I like seeing source for things people distribute...

Anyway, downloading on my work computer so you can't haxor my accounts =P
Old 11-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Aviak

Make it a little more dynamic...have an ini or xml file that maps the corresponding "You have entered <blah blah>" to the proper ini and image file name. Or even just one xml file to track all the ini infoz and just points to file names...

HTML Code:
<Zones>
   <Zone>
    <Name>Ak'anon</Name>
    <File>Ak'anon.jpg</File>
    <Physical>
      <X1>69</X1>
      <Y1>75</Y1>
      <X2>319</X2>
      <Y2>323</Y2>
    </Physical>
    <Logical>
      <X1>0.0000</X1>
      <Y1>2000.0000</Y1>
      <X2>-1000.0000</X2>
      <Y2>1000.0000</Y2>
    <Logical>
    <Text>You have enetered Ak'Anon</Text>
  </Zone>
   <Zone>
    <Name>Butcherblock</Name>
    <File>Butcherblock Mountains</File>
    </Zone>
</Zones>

But would be nice to extend this - ie when you see the You died message, it records the last know loc for the zone you were in and when you zone back into that map file your corpse gets it's own marker =)

Or, allow setting points that are recorded in the xml and can be given popup tool tip that shows the note you entered in a dialog.

Still, this whole thing is a good idea that in the end would be regarded as an exploit on this server based on their current rules...might have been legal on live, I did the same kind of thing using the mapquest file format...but these guys don't care what anyone else thinks, if it's going to help you and make the game more fun and more like classic experiences for the people who know how to do more than install software from a CD, generally it's forbidden, lol.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So risky....I like seeing source for things people distribute...

Anyway, downloading on my work computer so you can't haxor my accounts =P
The program is legit and the worst it's likely to do is not work. It makes no changes to the system other than to its own directory (where it saves maps and calibrations).

FWIW, I'm leery about trying software that people post to anonymous boards as well. What I usually do is test the software in a Virtual Machine or use Sandboxie in order to restrict the program from doing damage.

EQGPS doesn't have to be running on the same system as EQ. You can run it from a second system (or VM) and access the log files via a write-protected network share. Mind you, if you have massive log files then it will significantly increase the load time.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Still, this whole thing is a good idea that in the end would be regarded as an exploit on this server based on their current rules...
I asked in the "Petition / Exploit" folder whether this was a violation of the rules on 11-30-2010 (yes, 2010). I followed up on it again earlier this month after seeing this thread. I offered to refrain from sharing it if they preferred me not to. Despite quite a few views, nobody has had anything to say. I'm guessing they either don't care or they want to reserve the decision for later.
Closed Thread