Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidelle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're probably correct about Ebola not being a huge threat but I just wish that those in charge, like the CDC, would do their goddamned jobs and act to protect us by providing the correct training to healthcare providers, at the very fucking least. It really makes me concerned about sending troops to Africa who aren't properly trained. They're gonna be handling fluids, etc. This whole EbolaCare thing has shown us (the people) that we as a country are not prepared for a pandemic, nor are we being protected from anything because of bullshit reasons, i.e. political correctness being concern #1.
You want them to spend valuable time training every healthcare worker in the country to deal with a disease that has so far affected 3 people here? You do realize there are hundreds, if not thousands, of diseases/conditions that affect more people than that and we can't train them on everything? You start with the big stuff. If an Ebola outbreak hits, you can bet there will be more training. Until then, it's not worth it. There are roughly 3 million nurses in America. If we spent 20 hours each to properly train them, that's 60 million man hours of training. That's somewhere north of $1B for training. Assuming this training led to a 100% success rate in preventing the spread of the disease, it would mean thus far a reduction of 2 cases of Ebola. Or you could spend that money on other shit and save thousands of lives.

Also, what evidence do you have that the troops going to Africa aren't being properly trained? My brother is trying to join a program that sends nurses over to Liberia and part of it is a 2 week training program at the CDC HQ. And part of the reason they have this program is so that those who gain experience are spread around the country so that they can train others if the need arises.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Planar Protector

So just because only 3 people have been infected does not mean that countermeasures are completely worthless.

I do not know how contagious Ebola really is: I've seen differing opinions and I am not going to read the journals to figure out who is lying. But it seems likely that an outbreak that could kill thousands of people is possible, though extremely unlikely, and we EverQuesters all know that eventually the RNG will decide to fuck you.

Training 3 million nurses is probably overkill, but denying entry to people who could have been infected seems pretty reasonable to me.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Planar Protector

The thing with Ebola is that it spreads very slowly. Even in dirt-poor Africa where custom dictates you basically take a bath with the corpse of your dead relative and people believe you catch Ebola by saying the word "Ebola", it has taken like a year to go from 1 to 10,000 people. If we start to see a real outbreak here, we'll have time to train our health care professionals. And we'll probably scale the level of our training to match the risk. If you want to be pissed at the CDC, be pissed that they told the second Ebola nurse that it was cool for her to fly with a slight fever.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orruar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You want them to spend valuable time training every healthcare worker in the country to deal with a disease that has so far affected 3 people here? You do realize there are hundreds, if not thousands, of diseases/conditions that affect more people than that and we can't train them on everything? You start with the big stuff. If an Ebola outbreak hits, you can bet there will be more training. Until then, it's not worth it. There are roughly 3 million nurses in America. If we spent 20 hours each to properly train them, that's 60 million man hours of training. That's somewhere north of $1B for training. Assuming this training led to a 100% success rate in preventing the spread of the disease, it would mean thus far a reduction of 2 cases of Ebola. Or you could spend that money on other shit and save thousands of lives.
No, that's not what I was getting at. Training every single hospital would be impractical and ridiculous. But I do think they should have designated a handful of hospitals to be prepared specifically for receiving and properly caring for Ebola patients who test positive.

As for the rest of the hospitals throughout the country, there should have been a better screening and quarantine protocol in every hospital based on certain criteria; recent trip to Africa + symptoms. If someone tests positive, ship them to a hospital that's specially equipped and staffed with Ebola-trained medical people, not baby nurses who just got out of nursing school in August. Thomas Duncan should have never been turned away from that Dallas hospital, and he wouldn't have been if there had been a strict procedure to follow for the simple fact that he just arrived in the US from West Africa and had Ebola symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orruar
Also, what evidence do you have that the troops going to Africa aren't being properly trained? My brother is trying to join a program that sends nurses over to Liberia and part of it is a 2 week training program at the CDC HQ. And part of the reason they have this program is so that those who gain experience are spread around the country so that they can train others if the need arises.
Excellent, if this is what they're doing.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orruar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The thing with Ebola is that it spreads very slowly. Even in dirt-poor Africa where custom dictates you basically take a bath with the corpse of your dead relative and people believe you catch Ebola by saying the word "Ebola", it has taken like a year to go from 1 to 10,000 people. If we start to see a real outbreak here, we'll have time to train our health care professionals. And we'll probably scale the level of our training to match the risk. If you want to be pissed at the CDC, be pissed that they told the second Ebola nurse that it was cool for her to fly with a slight fever.
Yeah, about nurse #2... I'm wondering what the real story is. She says she was given the ok by the CDC with a low-grade fever but that seems like a bullshit story in my opinion. The CDC is saying she lied about when she first started to feel symptoms (before the initial flight to Ohio). Maybe she lied, maybe she didn't. I really don't know. But to be safe the CDC should have kept a special eye on people who had direct contact with Thomas Duncan and made sure they really stayed home to monitor themselves instead of flying to Ohio to potentially infect all those wedding gowns she tried on. Lol... kinda joking but you get my point, right? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-21-2014, 10:45 PM
Banned

tldr, but....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ili19euuEv8

you'll get it if you're part of t3h 1lluminatz0rz
Old 10-23-2014, 11:23 PM
Planar Protector

Ebola in NYC, Hello "I am Legend."

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 10-24-2014, 05:21 AM
Banned

My laptop is black. It has ebola.

Confirmed zombie laptop.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:07 AM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-24-2014, 09:29 AM
Banned

[IMG][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]via Imgflip Meme Maker[/IMG]
Closed Thread