Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by r00t [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
100% falsifiable statement

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It's clear he wants a high end gaming laptop so it's hard to understand why you keep bringing the budget build recommendations that were dated 5 years ago into the conversation.

Also more than 8gb of RAM is perfectly acceptable. He can RAMDisk a lot of games with 16gb. My desktop has 32gb just for this purpose.
Dated 5 years ago? Start throwing out same names of games that can use more then 4 cores because not many can. Shit most software in general doesn't use more then 4 unless you are 3D rendering. And WOW a ramdisk LOL talk about 7-8 years ago, with how fast SSDs are nowa days there is zero point in running a ramdisk lol. Seems like marketing sucked you in big time in the computer world.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeallunRumblebelly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Portability don't mean shit to me -- long as it doesn't need to be constantly plugged in that sonofabitch could weigh 90 pounds. Sound isn't an issue either, fuck everyone else, i wear headphones. let it sound like a harrier :3 need good air flow.
Wait, why don't you want to get a desktop if portability is not an issue? You can get a lot more bang for your buck.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juryiel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wait, why don't you want to get a desktop if portability is not an issue? You can get a lot more bang for your buck.
I need a laptop to move around with me, I'm just saying that it can be a behemoth of a laptop. Monitors won't work, nor will unattached keyboards.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:39 PM
Planar Protector

I just bought this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152551

It's got ...
  • the 870m (pretty nice graphics for a laptop, and going higher to the 880m barely improves things so it's not really worth it)
  • an SSD for the OS, and a 750GB with 7200rpm (ie. fastest for non-SSD) drive for media
  • processor is the i7 4800MQ, which is pretty good for the money (a lot of other laptops at the same price point only have the 4400)
  • 24GB of RAM (most similar laptops only have 16GB)
  • a Blue-Ray writer (most have just a DVD writer or a DVD writer/Blue-Ray reader)

... all for only $1,699.99 (- $100 rebate, but I'm usually too lazy to send those in so I don't count it).
Old 10-29-2014, 10:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just bought this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152551

It's got ...
  • the 870m (pretty nice graphics for a laptop, and going higher to the 880m barely improves things so it's not really worth it)
  • an SSD for the OS, and a 750GB with 7200rpm (ie. fastest for non-SSD) drive for media
  • processor is the i7 4800MQ, which is pretty good for the money (a lot of other laptops at the same price point only have the 4400)
  • 24GB of RAM (most similar laptops only have 16GB)
  • a Blue-Ray writer (most have just a DVD writer or a DVD writer/Blue-Ray reader)

... all for only $1,699.99 (- $100 rebate, but I'm usually too lazy to send those in so I don't count it).
Very nice. I'm going to get one some day =D
Old 10-31-2014, 05:49 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseRed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
gaming laptops are terrible.
You just have to get the right ones. And unfortunately $1200 doesn't usually get you the right ones. I have been using a Sager 9170 for a couple years and absolutely love it. I had to spend closer to $2000 for it but it is one of my favorite machines I've ever had, including my own custom built desktops in the past.

The problem is that most companies make "gaming laptops". Those aren't usually worth it imo. But if you get a custom built sager/clevo and spend a bit more they can be very good.