Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 09:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubled [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://www.xoticpc.com/ and http://gentechpc.com/

I think you'll find everything you need between those two.
Just used xoticpc to buy a laptop few days ago was a good experience. People that worked there were really nice and helpful as well. Dropped little over two grand. Can't wait for new laptop to arrive oh me oh my! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-27-2014, 10:20 AM
Sarnak

I would look here.
http://outlet.lenovo.com/outlet_us/l.../?page-index=1

I have been searching for a relatively good and and inexpensive gaming laptop as well and if you go to the page above and search for the Y series, they typically have some type of Y40 or 510p or even the Y50s as long as you don't mind refurbished (sometimes they even sell new ones for discounts). They go fast though and they update it literally like every hour with new laptops so check it out often. I found one Y50 on there but was too slow to purchase and it was gone!

You can check out the specs for each but the Y40 is pretty cheap and has an R9 275 which runs games pretty decently. The 510p has dual 755M in SLI which is a little better than the r9 275 but from what I hear runs a bit hotter. And then the Y50 has the nice 860M which can runs game pretty damn well for a laptop card. Just make sure you read the specs before you buy because some on the site have i5 processors and some have i7.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Sarnak

You never said what games or apps your attempting to run on this new machine. It's really hard to suggest hardware to someone who doesn't even say what they are attempt to run on it in the first place. But I would look for a i5 since 99% of games don't support hyper threading and overclocking on a laptop that will already run super hot under load is a bad idea. 8gb of ram is the most that 99% of game will utilize, anything more is for 4k video editing or VMs. Put your money into the GPU and a solid SSD.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just used xoticpc to buy a laptop few days ago was a good experience. People that worked there were really nice and helpful as well. Dropped little over two grand. Can't wait for new laptop to arrive oh me oh my! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It seems like Xotic makes decent PCs, but just hope you don't have to return or exchange it. I bought a Sager laptop from them a month or so ago and the idiots at Sager put the thumb-scanner in between the two mouse buttons, making it awkward to do a "middle-click" (ie. press both buttons simultaneously).

I tried to exchange it for another brand and found out that if I went with any brand other than Sager I only got a 15-day (from the day it ships, not arrives) return window. It's pretty much impossible to figure out if an issue like that is just an annoyance that I'll adjust to or a real significant problem in (less than) 15 days, so I decided to return the laptop instead.

Xotic wound up charging me not just for shipping, but also $100-something for minuscule little scratches that you get on any laptop the moment you remove it from the packaging. After that I swore never to get another computer for them.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawll [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You never said what games or apps your attempting to run on this new machine. It's really hard to suggest hardware to someone who doesn't even say what they are attempt to run on it in the first place. But I would look for a i5 since 99% of games don't support hyper threading and overclocking on a laptop that will already run super hot under load is a bad idea. 8gb of ram is the most that 99% of game will utilize, anything more is for 4k video editing or VMs. Put your money into the GPU and a solid SSD.
Anything new that comes out y'know. I'm not a stickler for max settings, just playable, but 40+ (pref 60) FPS is just such a big improvement that I really can't hang without it. Will probably be playing WoW / P99 on it from the start, but I really don't like to limit myself. And yeah, finding a stock laptop with over 4gb ram seems like pulling teeth, 8 seems to be the ticket primarily. I don't really know which way to go with laptop GPUs, though, which is my biggest problem.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It seems like Xotic makes decent PCs, but just hope you don't have to return or exchange it. I bought a Sager laptop from them a month or so ago and the idiots at Sager put the thumb-scanner in between the two mouse buttons, making it awkward to do a "middle-click" (ie. press both buttons simultaneously).

I tried to exchange it for another brand and found out that if I went with any brand other than Sager I only got a 15-day (from the day it ships, not arrives) return window. It's pretty much impossible to figure out if an issue like that is just an annoyance that I'll adjust to or a real significant problem in (less than) 15 days, so I decided to return the laptop instead.

Xotic wound up charging me not just for shipping, but also $100-something for minuscule little scratches that you get on any laptop the moment you remove it from the packaging. After that I swore never to get another computer for them.
Weird I got a 3 year warranty so shouldn't be any issues. That's a shame though my experience with them has been great thus far.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:16 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I have interacted with both XoticPC and GentechPC and while I find XoticPC to be a better-established business, GentechPC is better for the customer. Generally prices are better, better deals, more responsive to my specific circumstances. The best thing is that their pricing is more up-front while XoticPC includes things like specialty discounts in their listed prices so when trying to place an order I was surprised by an increase in price. GentechPC does not do this and ends up being cheaper in many cases. They also have very good support and quickly replaced the secondary drive that failed without any issues.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:29 AM
Sarnak

In the market for one as well. I prefer newegg. I do use Xotic and gentec to watch pc overviews. I am really liking the look of the new acer black edition laptops.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:01 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by r00t [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Never liked the i5 is fine for gaming argument. Get an i7 if possible. If you're like me, it will help when you have like 40 youtube tabs, fraps, instant messenger and other shit running in the background of your game.

I hate Acer, but you really can't beat this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...FSgLMgodlzIAGw

90% of the software to this day still doesn't support hyper threading. Unless you are editing 4k videos or running virtual machines it's 100% useless. Now if you are looking to overclock the CPU then the i7 is a solid CPU to start with.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by r00t [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is no need to have "support" for hyperthreading. Create a process, launch 8 threads, you now support it if its available (arguable, it's up to the OS how it wants to pool them). On the i5, at best you will now have to context switch between 4 threads (and still have the same if not more cache misses, which is the biggest criticism of hyperthreading). Im just browsing the internet, checked task manager and system wide I have 1006 threads (though most are probably sleeping).

Any type of multitasking at all on your computer will benefit from the i7.
Say I have $1500 - $2000 budget, could you link me something that you think would work well naez :3
Closed Thread