Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Planar Protector

August is 100% correct with the math.

Additionally, on live there was indeed a minimum 5% chance for a resist to occur on initial cast or during break checks. It's likely they added that in to some degree.

Taps shouldn't be subject to that restriction.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:57 AM
Planar Protector

I've yet to see any evidence brought forth regarding this base "5% chance to get resisted on all spells by even level 1 mobs" notion.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:01 AM
Kobold

I don't know where all this indignation comes from... on Live during this time period I would consider myself lucky to get 2 or 3 ticks from root OR charm on blue enemies -- on p1999 they are about 10x more reliable. My nuke however is a resist machine, but that was always the case on live as well.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've yet to see any evidence brought forth regarding this base "5% chance to get resisted on all spells by even level 1 mobs" notion.
There were often screenshots posted of ice comets being resisted by moss snakes due to that very base chance. It was quite well documented. I'm at work at the moment, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find a screenshot showing as such.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:08 AM
Planar Protector

Please do so when you find free time. Because in my extensive bug reporting, though I've never specifically searched on this topic, I haven't seen this. Nor do I remember it.

I understand the thought process behind it since that's how Tradeskills work. I just never remember spells having a fixed failure rate regardless of level.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Please do so when you find free time. Because in my extensive bug reporting, though I've never specifically searched on this topic, I haven't seen this. Nor do I remember it.

I understand the thought process behind it since that's how Tradeskills work. I just never remember spells having a fixed failure rate regardless of level.
Here's a quick post referencing it that I quickly googled. This is from an eq2 forum talking about ice comet in eq1 at 50.

"
Tom is correct. I played a Wizard on one account and a Rogue on another from the day the game went live.

I was one of the first 50s on my server, and when I went through the NUTTY quest to get the Ice Comet spell, I almost passed out when the first moss snake I cast it on resisted it. (gg Sony.)

The second one, however, got spanked for 1150 dd.

At level 50, it would use a little over a full bubble of mana...and to get a resist REALLY pi$$ed me off. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...-comet.171551/

When I get some time I'll find an era appropriate reference, but that was the first result.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Sarnak

Lol that is the same ol eq myth regurgitated by someone on a random forum. It's funny though that is always ice comet that gets resisted and always vs a snake. I have read/heard that story 100 times from people that it actually happened to. Still funny every time though even if it's not true.

"Living my life 6 seconds at a time." - Unknown
Old 07-14-2014, 12:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubosaur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol that is the same ol eq myth regurgitated by someone on a random forum. It's funny though that is always ice comet that gets resisted and always vs a snake. I have read/heard that story 100 times from people that it actually happened to. Still funny every time though even if it's not true.
You're just flat wrong. Here's a forum posting on level 1 mobs resisting things that's actually from 1999. For the record, people used moss snakes vs ice comet because people framed the context as "weakest mob resisting strongest spell"

Dorian Brytestar
12/15/99

hehe that is quite a difference =)
I have had rats resist root as well as orc pawns sometimes..This was not long ago
either!
--
Dorian Brytestar
Lvl 40 High Elf Cleric of Tunare
Povar

: My mistake, it was a pic text box, showing a Decaying Skeleton resisting the

: level 39 root being cast by a level 42 Wizard. It's on the Graffe's Wizard
: Compilation page, at
: http://www.graffe.com/
:
: Sorry for the mixup. I honestly thought it was Ice Comet when I looked at the
: page before.
:
: Marc Fuller

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.games.everquest/ice$20comet$20resist%7Csort:date/alt.games.everquest/TJZvN8T5qio/AFuaJ5fAploJ
Old 07-14-2014, 12:45 PM
Kobold

There's two separate issues here. One is the rate of root breaking (on tick, from damage, whatever). That did need some nerf. Is it like classic now? I can't speak to that as I haven't root-rotted much.

The second issue is the calculation of resists in general. I'm not sure if that needed a boost, but the boost it received it's more severe than it was on live.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Planar Protector

IDK, but it sure seems odd a tash'd level 1 mob could possibly resist a level 58's root, but that happened to me yesterday.
Closed Thread