Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Sarnak

Luclin was dumb because it took away too much from the tolkein-esque fantasy world that EQ was built on.

Planes of power brought the game back a little bit because it focused more on something you would expect out of a mature game setting, something that had been done in Advanced Dungeons and Dragons years earlier, Ultra high level Players challenging their deities.

POP books ruined the feel for the size of the world a lot more than the luclin spires did, but cats on the moon was just a ridiculous concept that really f%6ked up the fantasy setting. Something I would expect out of a Japanime game geared to 12 year olds, not something that was trying to pass itself off as a heroic D&D style game.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You mean in Luclin? Ring of Fire or Burrower Parasite ring a bell?

Luclin raiding was absolutely solid until Vex Thal, which was the biggest disappointment ever implemented into EverQuest.
those were the exceptions.
But everything before Luclin was strictly tank and spank.
Yes, I too was surprised that after such interesting events like Burrower, and non trivial adds handling system with Emperor of Ssra, the VT, including top expansion raid (ATH), will just go back to tank and spank again.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Kobold

More like "Sewage of Pukelin".

No thanks!
Old 09-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Aviak

I liked it for the most part, had a lot of fun leveling my troll SK through Paludal and twinking him with the Bazaar.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:22 AM
Aviak

Luclin is when I quit playing EQ. I just couldn't accept the whole moon theme, with cats living on it...it just didn't mesh well with the rest of the game, imo.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:03 AM
Sarnak

Scars of Velious best expansion EVAR

/thread
Old 09-26-2011, 03:52 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The beastlord class was fine.

The lore was pretty bad. A lot of people don't like the idea of going to the moon in a fantasy MMO. And the fact that the playable race were ridiculous catpeople.

Most felt the new character models were terrible. I never played with 'em and was thankful I was a shaman so I didn't need a horse.

The Bazaar, while convenient, ruined the social aspect of trading. The teleportation system was just the beginning of the instant travel of PoP.

Many didn't like having such a daunting amount of AA to grind after sitting on their character progression at 60 for so long. On the flip side, Paludal Caverns had too high a ZEM and drained the old world newbie dungeons dry.

The content was very hit or miss. The best part of this expansion was Ssra Temple which was an amazing raid zone where they got everything right. Lord Inquisitor Seru on the other hand took forever to prepare for, and the fight itself was mega long and somewhat boring.

And then at the end of Ssra Temple, one of the most amazing raid zone in EQ, you reached Vex Thal which was complete and utter shit.

It's a mixed bag. I personally think the expansion was decent for AA and Ssra alone. But they fucked a lot up. It was the first expansion that wasn't completely solid and pretty much anyone had a gripe with some aspect of it. If you weren't a high end raider, you missed the good content. If you were a high end raider, you had to deal with the shit pile that was VT.

Also the best Luclin zones such as Acrylia Caverns were criminally underutilized.
This is one of the best posts I've seen in a while. It was well thought out and explained really well. The only thing I would have added is that this was the result of Sony taking over. Brad McQuaid and his team (Verant) were basically a small section within 989 studios and operated mainly on their own. It's Brad McQuaids vision of EverQuest that we experience as ''Classic EQ''. When Sony began stepping in, things started to change, and it started feeling less like Classic EQ the more Sony's decisions influenced it.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:29 AM
Sarnak

Ssra was a great raid zone! I think VT was meant to be easy because of the grind it took to get the key. Kind of a "loot reward" for working up to it. Instead, it just pissed people off.

I quit PoP after we downed Quarm. But I had a blast working up to him, and enjoyed the status of being an "Elemental Guild"
Old 09-26-2011, 07:37 AM
Orc

I think the downfall started when they released GoD before OoW. But, I quit playing at DoN and went to WoW.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:49 AM
Sarnak

My favorite expansion. Best zones. Vex Thal was amazing.
Closed Thread