Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Is variance still needed?
Yes, it promotes "competition" 75 29.18%
No, its an unneccesary non-classic time sink 182 70.82%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooj [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wrong. A TMO member mentions having 80 people online after the server came up. This is Everquest, the mobs don't really require strategies as there aren't a lot of mechanics involved - you can just throw a bajillion dudes at any mob and win every time.
You just prove my point even further by saying that. The sheer fact that there is no real strats to these guys other than resists/zerging should make it easier for all guilds to kill.

There are many guilds on the server capable of raiding these targets. There just isn't the dedication. What's keeping other guilds from having sufficient members on after server reset? Dedication
Old 09-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Ferok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picked [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are many guilds on the server capable of raiding these targets. There just isn't the dedication. What's keeping other guilds from having sufficient members on after server reset? Dedication
But that's just the point, isn't it? Server reset isn't the problem (apparently). It's the rest of the time.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostprophets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Q4t.

No offense Raz, but IB was the ones that got the Variance in tact to begin with. before your time on p99? They are the founders of the variance.

now that they are gone, 80+% of the server wants it GONE as it DOESN'T benefit anyone but the BIG Guilds.

That is my suggestion to make it more like classic.
We had a discussion about it on our website and it turned into a pretty good argument. Beleive me, IB/TMO/BDA do not like poopsocking or tracking mobs for endless hours. Tune variance down a bit (as stealin suggested) or do away with it and see what happens. Everyone wins. The big and the little guys.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picked [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You just prove my point even further by saying that. The sheer fact that there is no real strats to these guys other than resists/zerging should make it easier for all guilds to kill.

Sure. So why are we intentionally creating mechanics where only people who want to devote their lives to P1999 can get raid mobs at all? Especially when it isn't even classic?

If it were up to me, I'd do:

1. Reduce all 7-day-spawn raid drops by 50%
2. Have a guaranteed respawn of all such mobs every Saturday at 3PM EST
3. Have a random respawn of all such mobs 1x per week with a serverwide broadcast (= no tracking)
4. Same thing for 3-day spawns.

But I've said this a thousand times before.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Fire Giant

Why are we proposing intricate and novel non-classic solutions to a problem that was created by an intricate and novel non-classic deviation?

The problem is that it's not classic. The solution is to make it classic. If people don't like classic, then obviously this isn't the server for them.

Can someone explain why classic is a bad idea on a server with the stated goal of reproducing classic, 1999 conditions?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldolma [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why are we proposing intricate and novel non-classic solutions to a problem that was created by an intricate and novel non-classic deviation?

The problem is that it's not classic. The solution is to make it classic. If people don't like classic, then obviously this isn't the server for them.

Can someone explain why classic is a bad idea on a server with the stated goal of reproducing classic, 1999 conditions?
my suggestion is as as classic as we can get unless we're patching once a week. I'm not saying modifying variance I'm saying have a simulated weekly shut down on varying days (one per week) to be ideally like an emulation to a server patch day on live.
[78 Monk] Kobrakai (Iksar) <The Chosen Few> (EZ Server)
- See you soon, Space Cowboy.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Fire Giant

I don't know if it's been brought up yet, but simulated repops every 2 weeks also adds another nice feature:

What if a bunch of TMO needs stuff off the "lesser" kills like Maestro or Inny? Sure, they could 2 group them, but there is a chance that they may decide to "pass" on contesting VS or Trak one repop and let a "lesser" guild have a chance.

One of the major butt-hurt issues with variance is someone has to track. So if TMO is tracking for 70 straight hours, of course they'll be pissed if someone else wants to get a shot when they've only been tracking 65 hours. If everyone knew when it'd pop? They could rotate.

We already have an example of this with Ragefire. Sure it makes sense to rotate him since epic'd clerics are awesome for all, but he also drops some amazing fire-resist armor (or atleast amazing IMO). But people still honored it.

So yeah, I think smaller variance with a bi-weekly repop will actually lower the stress of "must kill now!" to an extent where everyone won't have disdain for a high level guild that might be willing to share.

Just my 2 coppers.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splorf22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
TL;DR: How about instead of worrying about the freaking compass you guys fix the non-classic raid scene that literally no one on the server likes?
Yah. There's so much that's not classic on this server, it boggles the mind that something like the compass would show up on the list of priorities at all.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:56 PM
Planar Protector

96 hour variance is the best thing to happen to those of us who know we're content with waiting all night for VS to spawn, but not 6 days. It releases EQ's strangling grasp on our lives and let's us rejoice in the fact that although we're pretty big fuckin' losers, we're not nearly as pitiful as the people who are currently raiding Project1999.

TLDR: 96 hour variance is a good thing for those who have some form of responsibilities, but are weak of will.
Last edited by pasi; 09-19-2012 at 09:00 PM..
Old 09-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Slave: Removing Variance is not an option, anyone that's been around this server since before it was implemented can tell you why. And it certainly will not alleviate the dominance of top guilds over the rest of them.. it will make matters worse, only it will be a clusterfuck for the staff as well.
I feel this is a bit arbitrary considering the massive amount of evidence associated with the exact opposite of this sentiment.
Closed Thread