Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Sarnak

Default What is the point of a bard?

Feels as if a bard only shines in small groups, and even then most groups aren't willing to take on a bard for fear of acquiring a "wasted" spot. I rolled a bard as my main, and have reached high 50s. Currently working on my epic, and doubting the reasons I rolled a bard. They're supposed to be a high utility class. But some play in the raid scene it feels as if I do nothing useful in a raid scenario barring extra mana regen and resists. I rolled a class that is completely useless to solo with and only useful in the rare raid scenario. Will I only be able to fully play my class in the small group scenarios? Keeping in mind this is my first time ever playing EQ, and I feel like I am more than competent at my given utilization. I just feel wasted in anything more than 5-6 people.

In the current game status it seems like bards are completely useless outside mana song, and MR for the rare fight that does something resistable. I know that a bard is indispensable for dragon fights, but the current state of the server is such that getting one is a cold day in hell that TMO or some other zerg guild hasn't poop socked / bothered poop socking the fight.

TL;DR are they useless until Velious barring a few encounters for resistance in the raid scene?
Last edited by Getsmurfed; 08-20-2013 at 08:09 PM..
Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Sarnak

To PL all the other useful classes
Old 08-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Fire Giant

A bards roll in raids is resists, mana song, and OOS (if it is even in game at this point). That is the class you rolled. A good bard is always welcome in a group with me, as they are the most versitile class in the game. Nothing better than having a speedy bard chain pull in an outdoor zone!
Old 08-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Planar Protector

They are the opposite of completely useless... kind of.

They're useful in many different ways. Unfortunately none of the things they are good at (except for mana twisting and resist songs) are better than what a shaman or enchanter or melee dps or healer can do. So in a raid where you've got a couple chanters and a slew of wisdom casters and a bunch of rogues/monks DPSing... none of the things a bard does really seem to make a big difference (again, unless you need mana/resists).

If you make a point of forming groups of casters who need your mana song, you'll have a lot of happy casters in your raids, assuming you aren't needed to do resists for a tank or whatever.

Once you have your epic you can proc it and twist some songs that give awesome +attack, which will make the melee DPS drool over you as much as twisting mana songs makes the casters drool.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Fire Giant

To your point tho, a bard is not useful against most Kunark bosses that get killed by an over-whelmingly large raid force. A bard can certainly be the difference between life and death for smaller raids tho (provided they can get a target).
Old 08-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Fire Giant

I always ask for a bard in my group on raids. A well-played bard is pretty legit.
Mithras Firehealer - 60 cleric
Gurig Fireplague - 53 necro
Umphrey McGee - 55 magician
Loden Arrows - 46 ranger
Old 08-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Sarnak

So it was pretty stupid to roll a bard as a main, it'd make a good alt for utility is pretty much what I'm catching.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getsmurfed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So it was pretty stupid to roll a bard as a main, it'd make a good alt for utility is pretty much what I'm catching.
Bards can awesome if played well. Can save an entire group on some dragon AEs. Can still CC pretty well. Some of the best non-stop groups I have had in seb have been with bards.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Fire Giant

Then you're not reading, what are you trying to accomplish with your character?
Old 08-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Planar Protector

... I like bards in groups too -- they can be great pulls and decent cc.
Closed Thread