Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I used to hate strongly typed but now I dislike the dynamic way. So all I use p much is C++ even for simple shit (besides web obv, mostly PHP there). It's really not that bad with libraries like Boost and Qt, you can do all the stuff that's standard in a scripting language pretty easy. It'll obviously be a few more lines but is what feels comfortable to me. One thing I dislike about Python is theres no good free* editor (at least that I've found) that has a decently working autocomplete.

C sux I hate dealin w/ c strings no classes so a buncha struct functions etc. C is the #1 most widely used (obviously since is in like every driver and operating system), followed by Java (kinda a surprise to me there). I don't like Java at all, if you couldn't tell, even though it has more support than C#.

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/conte...pci/index.html

Prolog is a pretty cool language, logical programming or w/e. In school seen it do lots of stuff no other language can do (except maybe LISP idk). Ada can do some pretty neat shit too I have no clue how to replicate in like C++.

After awhile they all just blend together, pickin up a new one's syntax and stdlib like ridin a bike.
It's true there's no good free IDE for Python. I've been using PyCharm which will run you $99 (1 year of free updates too) but is truly worth every penny. I encountered this IDE while doing some work in a web start-up using the Django framework and was hooked.

http://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/

While it's true they all tend to blend together over time, different syntactical sugar taste different so while one should always pick the best tool for the job there's still, assuming overprogramming hasn't turned you into a robot, preferences and likes/dislikes of languages.
Last edited by somnia; 05-02-2012 at 11:28 AM..
Old 05-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by quido [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Java sucks. I enjoy Assembly programming though I haven't done nearly as much of it as I have C/C++. It was fun trying out Assembly on a SPARC architecture!
Never understood people who actually enjoy assembly programming. I haven't muddied those waters past the classroom (by choice).
Last edited by somnia; 05-02-2012 at 11:31 AM..
Old 05-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Truth Send a message via AIM to Truth Send a message via MSN to Truth Send a message via Yahoo to Truth

^tru, very rarely but have had to use __asm a few times 2 wutdo thangs.

One thing I use/d Python a lot for is with a library called BeautifulSoup. Real good for parsing dirty ass html, easier to navigate DOM than with Tidy. Use it for content scrapers etc, fairly common request when I was in college doin shit ass freelance. Qt/WebKit in C++ works pretty good too, can use css selectors and execute javascript on stuff and such. Wrote a general purpose webbot with it that could be scripted in js a couple years ago but no longer have it :[

They still never fix bug I submitted 2 yrs ago to the day

https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=38450
Last edited by Truth; 05-02-2012 at 02:57 PM..
Old 05-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Planar Protector

I used to be C++ > Java, but then I got into a department that really understood how to use J2EE and the relevant frameworks to build big reliable enterprise applications. Now I love it. Great mix of productivity/flexibility/scalability. Of course much of this has to do with utilizing the whole java 'stack' and the scope of the project, not just the language.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Fire Giant

Modern: Python, C++
Classic: FORTH
Really Classic: 6502, Z80 assembler

Regards,
Mg

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!
Old 05-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^tru, very rarely but have had to use __asm a few times 2 wutdo thangs.

One thing I use/d Python a lot for is with a library called BeautifulSoup. Real good for parsing dirty ass html, easier to navigate DOM than with Tidy. Use it for content scrapers etc, fairly common request when I was in college doin shit ass freelance. Qt/WebKit in C++ works pretty good too, can use css selectors and execute javascript on stuff and such. Wrote a general purpose webbot with it that could be scripted in js a couple years ago but no longer have it :[

They still never fix bug I submitted 2 yrs ago to the day

https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=38450

BeautifulSoup is great albeit a little slow.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Fire Giant

Swahili
Closed Thread