Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeseus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'd get behind this project, but we're still talking literal years and years down the road. Nice to think about but I wouldn't go nuts over it til at least Velious is out [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah totally.

My only goal is to farm you guys for opinions and ideas and eventually make a map of Norrath with all these ideas in place. So far people have provided some great lore that has definitely corrected me and/or swayed my decision on certain zone location options.

The way I see it is, if this idea really gets fine tuned, written up and archived, anyone in the emu community could eventually implement this, be it this server or some other one.

But yes, these are just ideas... a brain exercise, nothing more.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Aviak

The level cap has to go up at some point. Kunark, Velious, Luclin, all capped at 60. I thought that was crazy at the time, at least Luclin introduced AAs. Part of the reason I love MMOs is the "carrot on a stick" mentality. You are never done advancing your character for long.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Planar Protector

So a little more on lore. I was trying to find out a little more on how the PoP storyline begins and it's all quite wordy and pretty vague at certain points. Basically I was trying to find out if there was any point to all the planes being accessible from the Plane of Tranquility instead of the old world zones:

http://everquestlore.wikia.com/wiki/...Power,_Part_II

Basically, the only relevant part is at the very end:

Quote:
"Now go and prepare. Soon the morning mists will lift to reveal the portals to a new age. The Age of Balance is nearly upon us."

With this, the elder walks from the large room and allows it to return to being an infirmary for the casualties of the new age.

The Book and the Pedestal

The night slowly pulls its face from Norrath, leaving only the dewy residue of its dark kiss. Creatures scurry to find a shady resting place to wait out the day, and the inhabitants of all the cities of man awaken. It will be hours yet before these cities become fully aware of their newest landmarks, the portals in the form of stone pedestals that litter the face of Norrath’s landscape.

Most days begin, fade, and end, all part of the slow blur that makes up the common life. Sometimes a clear path will present itself and lead its follower astray from that common life. This path comes to its traveler in a variety of forms: the magic in a child's first book; the promise of a couple’s first glance; the hero's first step into the dank mouth of some forgotten cave. All these things can break the blurry cycle of the day and yield adventure.

This morning will present to the citizens a new path, a path in the form of a portal--a path that will forever change their lives.
Basically you can keep all the lore and just drop the dumb part about pedestals with books on them, which I always felt was a cheap and cheesy solution to get everyone to start using PoK as a hub. It never made any sense. So just leave those 2 paragraphs out of the lore and voila!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

you can keep Pok in with following adjustments:
-req level 46 to enter
-make its citizens to start off KOS to everyone, at like -2000 points [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And then those who really want that as hub - they will have shit load of factioning to do =)
-keep the books that lead to PoK, but remove those that go down to Norath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] (hence ist accessable from anywhere, but cannot be used as a transporatation system anymore)
Last edited by guineapig; 05-11-2011 at 01:05 PM..
Old 05-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you can keep Pok in with following adjustments:
-req level 46 to enter
-make its citizens to start off KOS to everyone, at like -2000 points [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And then those who really want that as hub - they will have shit load of factioning to do =)
-keep the books that lead to PoK, but remove those that go down to Norath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] (hence ist accessable from anywhere, but cannot be used as a transporatation system anymore)

So a zone that doesn't help with transportation and the NPCs (which can't be killed) are all KoS?
Make it easy to get to but impossible to leave unless there happens to be a druid or wizard there?
(A wizard or druid that wasn't already killed by the tons of invincible roaming KoS NPCs that is).
That sounds like a really bad idea, just my opinion. Makes more sense for it to simply not exist.
Last edited by guineapig; 05-11-2011 at 01:08 PM..
Old 05-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So a zone that doesn't help with transportation and the NPCs (which can't be killed) are all KoS?
Make it easy to get to but impossible to leave unless there happens to be a druid or wizard there?
(A wizard or druid that wasn't already killed by the tons of invincible roaming KoS NPCs that is).
That sounds like a really bad idea, just my opinion. Makes more sense for it to simply not exist.
why npcs can't be killed???
just cuase its a set as non combat zone?
you do know it takes about 3 seconds to remove that flag?
this is still will be quest zone, you just have to work on your faction - think about this as new Kael.
And there are gate potions sold on vendor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Okay good point, you could make therm killable. Which would then make it another exp zone.

Is there any real reason you want to keep the zone in though?
If all the planes are spread out all over Norrath and there are no portals leading out of PoK then what would the reason for the zones existence be?

Also having potions sold on a vendor that's KoS to you doesn't really help. Or do you intend on having beta neurtal NPCs in there as well?

There actually aren't that many quest NPCs in PoK when you think about it. Most are simply vendors, guild masters or wandering NPCs simply placed there to make the zone feel more alive. Easier to place the quest NPS in to existing cities. If you want a faction grind you got plenty since you will most likely need to be gaining city factions in order to do these quests or at least walk around safely.

Also, you then have to implement a new faction to the game and what will you kill to gain faction there? Is there a way to loose faction? Implement a series of quests that also gain faction? Just tag all this on to mobs and quests that already exist in the game?

I'm not trying to shoot your idea down. I just want to understand what your reasoning behind the idea is.
Last edited by guineapig; 05-11-2011 at 01:28 PM..
Old 05-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Planar Protector

ok.
-first of all gate potions are sold on regular NPCs vendors all over the world
all the classic planes do not thave any easy exit out of them neither - why should this one?
-you can keep conection to plane of Tranquility for example - or make a conection to anywhere you think is appropriate (you can even keep portals down, but they will only trigger if say your faction with Pok is at Ally level)
-you can design and add any quests you like
-you can make it a raid a zone
-you can set it to be an opposing faction to anything you like (another plane most liekely), or it can be faction only gained via quests - put quests npcs in different location on Norath (emisaries of new tanaan, non kos) who will send you to other planes to kill things, collect quest items, and grant faction with PoK in return

yeah its a lot of work. and Yes, its a lot easier to simply cross it out it and forget about it.
I am just use to different way of thinking (as a custom sever dev) - no zone shall go to waste [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly, i don't care what you do with it - I am simply giving you alternative ideas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Planar Protector

All I have to say is: No to the books!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

yeah its a lot of work. and Yes, its a lot easier to simply cross it out it and forget about it.
I am just use to different way of thinking (as a custom sever dev) - no zone shall go to waste [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly, i don't care what you do with it - I am simply giving you alternative ideas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Okay well when you put it like this. I could think of plenty of way to use the zone just to take advantage of the geography provided.
Completely unrelated to relocating the Planes to where they should have been, my first thought would be to turn PoK into a team based PVP zone. Would be ideal for capture the flag for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All I have to say is: No to the books!!!
No worries, no books [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread