Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 06:35 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kender [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Only time max mana is good is if you are solo and it takes a full mana bar to kill something
Or if you're raiding and using your mana for healing during fights....
Old 11-10-2016, 11:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kender [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
except max mana and mana regen are not linked you regen the same mana with 200 pool as you do with 2000 pool.

if you are full mana then sure more wis is good. but if you are tanking you are never full mana so it's all about mana regen

Only time max mana is good is if you are solo and it takes a full mana bar to kill something
only a few ways to get mana regen and they are either thru high end raiding via items, or questing shawl, or buffs/songs etc.

But even if you have mana regen and have a 1k mana pool vrs someone with a 2k mana pool, in an enduring fight your extra mana regen wont be as good as a 2k mana pool because simply put the person with a 2k mana pool has the access to the exact same mana regen as the person with the 1k mana pool. (both can /tell chanter and go mana regen please, and both can go get FT items).

Having more mana on a hybrid is the single greatest improvement you can make on them. RAW MANA beats any other aspect on a Hybrid because your returns are far far far far greater than having an extra few hundred HP, or 100ac more.

A Paladin with 4k buffed hp and a 3k mana pool, is alot better than a paladin with 4.5k hp and 2k mana pool, especially in situations where the Paladin is been played in a combination of rolls: puller, intial CC and tank, then clutch heals.
Last edited by Salahdin; 11-10-2016 at 11:18 PM..
Old 11-11-2016, 08:38 AM
Kobold

STR though, you want to wear plate and heavy weapons and not be constantly encumbered. Dwarfs have the best stats if you can stand the looks.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:24 AM
Fire Giant

Don't stress about starting stats too much. Sure, there are valid arguments for min/maxing your STA or your WIS, but Velious makes it a lot easier to overcome any mistakes at character creation. My erudite paladin started with 15 STR and 5 STA (basically no one's idea of min/max) and with some good but not remotely BiS Velious items I consider my stats more than sufficient.

My magelo is linked in my signature. Almost everything in it is obtainable for someone in a smaller casual guild. If you're willing to join the ranks of the hardcore raiders, you'll basically max everything after a while regardless of starting stats.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallanor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't stress about starting stats too much. Sure, there are valid arguments for min/maxing your STA or your WIS, but Velious makes it a lot easier to overcome any mistakes at character creation. My erudite paladin started with 15 STR and 5 STA (basically no one's idea of min/max) and with some good but not remotely BiS Velious items I consider my stats more than sufficient.

My magelo is linked in my signature. Almost everything in it is obtainable for someone in a smaller casual guild. If you're willing to join the ranks of the hardcore raiders, you'll basically max everything after a while regardless of starting stats.
Correct, but we can use your Paladin as a case in example as to why you dump your points in to Wisdom.

You have 150 wisdom with decent group/small guild attainable gear and you have some pretty big +wisdom items ( i.e your ranged +18 wisdom ).

If you had started human, or pal, or dwarf and dumped points into wisdom with your your current gear you'd be almost 200 wisdom and probably 2.5k+ mana... or in real world/norrath terms: two extra heals.

If you want maximum efficiency out of your Paladin you want to dump points into wisdom, unless you plan to raid NToV for 2 years of your life in a top raid guild.

My Highelf Paladin @ level 45 has 400 less mana then your decently geared paladin has at 57; and I have about 5k gear on him coz I aint rich and he has no +mana items either, and once I get my epic complete ( 1 more item, that darn shield ) my mana pool will probably be getting closer to 2k before I even hit level 50 and start to attain the level of gear that you have.

Throw in items like Circlet of the Falinkan (if you ever manage to get the chipped part ) and other nice +mana/wisdom items and a casually playing mid tier/low end high elf/human/dwarf paladin who dumped points in to wisdom could attain a 3k+mana pool on their Paladins.

btw gratz on your Rocksmasher, that is by far the weapon I would identify with the Paladin lore. If you can get your hands ona Sledge of Smashing too you're set [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Salahdin; 11-11-2016 at 06:21 PM..
Old 11-12-2016, 09:40 AM
Fire Giant

Yeah, you're definitely not wrong. Min-maxing your wisdom will make a difference if you want maximum efficiency at end game. No doubt about it. I just like to point out that the difference between a min-maxed toon and a creation fail like myself isn't character breaking. You'll be fine pretty much whatever you do.

Obviously, the most important stat is fashion, so going high elf/human/dwarf would be a much larger character creation mistake than failing to boost your wisdom. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I definitely love my Rocksmasher. It's really fun hitting for huge damage, even if the overall dps won't blow your mind relative to a good ratio 1h from ToV. I feel like Thor every time I use it!
Old 11-13-2016, 04:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallanor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, you're definitely not wrong. Min-maxing your wisdom will make a difference if you want maximum efficiency at end game. No doubt about it. I just like to point out that the difference between a min-maxed toon and a creation fail like myself isn't character breaking. You'll be fine pretty much whatever you do.

Obviously, the most important stat is fashion, so going high elf/human/dwarf would be a much larger character creation mistake than failing to boost your wisdom. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I definitely love my Rocksmasher. It's really fun hitting for huge damage, even if the overall dps won't blow your mind relative to a good ratio 1h from ToV. I feel like Thor every time I use it!
Well at the end of the day it's really about playing what you enjoy.

I mean min/max'ers are the death of fun in EverQuest ( a roleplaying fantasy game meant for fun ).

Now if only they allowed Halfling Paladins during velious era; I'd reroll straight away.

I'll be doing a 1-52 Paladin guide soon, with all my solo camps etc. Lotta guides out there follow the "usual" camp spots so eventually I'd hope a bunch of Paladins throw in their 2cents about it too. There really is a lack of a good Paladin guide on the Wiki. I find Paladin's to be the afkish solo 1-52 class; it's great fun.

Quote:

I have both weapons on my Paladin on Red, the HP bump alone is amazing. The Sledge of Smashing + Primal + 41% haste + Eyepatch and jesus you rip through kunark content class/kunark content like it's a hot knife to butter.
Last edited by Salahdin; 11-13-2016 at 05:05 PM..
Old 11-25-2016, 08:06 AM
Sarnak

I am always a bit taken back when people say paladins dont do damage. 50+ compared to rogues and monks? Sure, but pre-50 any paladin with some STR, haste and a solid 2hander will contribute.

Im curious to see your guide, Salah. I saw you soloing hags in Unrest while I was fearkiting in the basement [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] been thinking of typing a 1 to 50 pala guide myself.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:42 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am always a bit taken back when people say paladins dont do damage. 50+ compared to rogues and monks? Sure, but pre-50 any paladin with some STR, haste and a solid 2hander will contribute.
Minmax mindset. Thankfully you do not encounter this in-game as much as you do on the forums(probably because there might be actual consequences to being a total asshole in game).
Old 12-19-2016, 12:10 PM
Aviak

Did a 1-50 something paladin solo guide a couple months back in the tank section. There's nothing very unusual about the zones in it but might be useful if you want to dig it up.
Closed Thread