Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 07:11 PM
Aviak

Default Granite Face Grinder - good for aggro?

I'm a level 27 warrior, and I've been using Lammy / Green Jade Broadsword for a while now. It worked well enough for a time, but lately, I've been having some difficulty holding aggro -- especially with twinks in my groups. I'm pushing 176 STR, so I can't imagine my strength is the problem.

So, I've been thinking about selling my weapons to get a Granite Face Grinder. It does have a slightly lower ratio than SoB, but +10 STR (and the fact that it's not a stupid staff) make it attractive, especially since it's not too expensive at around ~3.5 - 4k.

I'd prefer not to rely on proccing weapons, since most of them have abysmal ratios and would rarely proc with my low dexterity. I just want a good, high-ratio weapon that can help my group out in terms of damage output, while simultaneously making my life as an aggro holder easier.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:18 PM
Fire Giant

Do you have haste already? If not, keep the SoB and get a FBSS with that money. Either way, when you have a staff of battle available for <500 plat I feel like the GFG is such a marginal sidegrade the 3500p could be better spent elsewhere, such as on a phase spider carapace.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:34 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollhide [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you have haste already? If not, keep the SoB and get a FBSS with that money. Either way, when you have a staff of battle available for <500 plat I feel like the GFG is such a marginal sidegrade the 3500p could be better spent elsewhere, such as on a phase spider carapace.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm currently trying to get a Mithril Plated Girth, so would it perhaps be more sensible to purchase Silver Chitin Hand Wraps? They add 22% haste, but they also provide AC and a bit of resistance. FBSS only provides haste. Also, the hand wraps are considerably less expensive.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:37 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransurian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the feedback. I'm currently trying to get a Mithril Plated Girth, so would it perhaps be more sensible to purchase Silver Chitin Hand Wraps? They add 22% haste, but they also provide AC and a bit of resistance. FBSS only provides haste. Also, the hand wraps are considerably less expensive.
SCHW is certainly an option and quite a bit cheaper as you said. What I would recommend is to consider the total stat combinations in the 2 slots from both your proposed gear choice and the alternatives and then equip according to your budget, ie: SCHW + Mithril Plated Girth (22% haste, 14 ac, 9 str, 9 sta, 3 resist all), or FBSS + say CC Gauntlets (21% haste, 20 ac, 10 str) or Cobalt Gauntlets (21% haste, 25 ac).
Old 12-05-2016, 12:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransurian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I love schw, they actually give you better haste and slight resists compared with fbss.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I'm pushing 176 STR, so I can't imagine my strength is the problem.
You generate a fixed amount of hate per swing, regardless of how much damage you do, or even whether you hit or miss, which is exactly equal to (Damage on Weapon) + (Damage Bonus in Hand.)

Your strength has nothing to do with threat generation.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:05 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You generate a fixed amount of hate per swing, regardless of how much damage you do, or even whether you hit or miss, which is exactly equal to (Damage on Weapon) + (Damage Bonus in Hand.)

Your strength has nothing to do with threat generation.
I've heard that mentioned before, but I've also heard that damage does, in fact, create hate in and of itself. There's a fairly comprehensive guide on the P99 Wiki which argues that strength does correlate with threat generation.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Guide_fo...rated_Warriors

I've also seen it on some forum threads, but I can't remember them.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:23 AM
Planar Protector

Sakuragi's warrior guide is the definitive one, and has the exact formula I gave above for threat generation. That guide does make for an entertaining read, but on that point it's wrong. Strength has nothing to do with threat generation.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Sakuragi's_Warrior_Guide
Old 12-05-2016, 09:48 AM
Planar Protector

If you never want to worry about aggro again, get one of these and learn how to use it (and when not to). When it procs you will have aggro for the entire fight, it's the best aggro proc in the game and starts from level 1.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Wrapped_..._Serpent_Spine
Old 12-05-2016, 06:11 PM
Aviak

thesteelwarrior did extensive testing on agro and damage is a factor.
Closed Thread