Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 06:40 AM
Sarnak

The ranger is a god in many of the usual suspect zones, like Mistmoore, City of Mist and Karnors, because of their ability to harmony, snare and track. With a level advantage and a slower in the group they can tank just fine, because the slower can slow on inc thanks to the snare and newbie dot the ranger has.

Paladins are pretty ace too, but require a lot more knowledge and experience. That, or you just frequent the path most traveled and spam stun and blind when invited to a group.

Both do admirable damage with minimum plat investment. 30/40ish weapons are around 100 plat and the ranger can rock a silver swiftblade from 1 to 30.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Aviak

I would say that Ranger offers much more utility than a Paladin. DPS is decent too.

Paladin is a fun class and I love mine, but the really good stuff does not come until level 55+ and even then its kind of underwhelming. Paladins are good group tanks, but thats about it.

I wouldnt roll a Paladin unless I was absolutely thats what I wanted. If doubt, Ranger is the safest bet imo.

This is coming from someone with a 60 Paladin.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:24 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

depends what u want :
- if u want to group : paladin is the best class to get agro fast and hold it. U can still solo but it is very slow (low dps)
- if u like to solo : rangers. They have better dps and cool stuff such as tracking ...

Both classes are not very popular on p99 but I like to group with both of them.

Good luck !
Old 12-07-2016, 07:15 PM
Fire Giant

Neither class can solo particularly well, therefore which role you enjoy more when playing in groups: tanking or pulling?
Old 12-08-2016, 01:50 AM
Fire Giant

Neither class solos well. Neither class solos much at all without heavy twinking. From your post I'm under the assumption you aren't being bankrolled by a high level pet caster. Beg a Sword of Skyfire/Silver Swifthand from tunnel rats, it will go a long way.

Both ensure you incredible DKP bang for the buck due to the lack of competition in your class once you hit raiding level.

If you are playing the long game, carry on and invest in plenty of red bull. Just understand that there's a 99.95% chance you will burn out trying to solo beyond EC mobs with level 50 buffbots. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Most of the people with bad experiences with me hang out in R&F, shocking, looks like I'm doing something right.
Last edited by Bubbles; 12-08-2016 at 01:53 AM..
Old 12-09-2016, 07:56 PM
Planar Protector

Saying Rangers can't solo past low levels without extreme high-level gear seems like a Kunark-era statement. Panic Animal allows the Ranger class to solo all the way to the level cap if he so chooses. The level 10-22 range might be the most difficult part of the Ranger's life, as far as solo experience is concerned. Past that he can solo most any time he likes, with little in the way of equipment. It's not particularly quick--roughly half to two-thirds the experience rate of a quadding Druid--and naturally limited to animals, but entirely viable.

Paladins solo only slowly beyond low levels, and trying to solo past about level 45-50 or so on the class serves little purpose except for the player to say he did. I do not regard solo leveling as a particularly useful means of gaining experience past the mid/upper 40's for this class.

Between the two classes, you pick Ranger if you want to be a light melee with a spellbook, and Paladin if you want to tank for normal groups. Both classes, particularly the Ranger, are somewhat under-rated during Velious by a community which in many cases hasn't altered it's leftover perceptions created during 4 years of Kunark.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 12-09-2016 at 08:03 PM..
Old 12-10-2016, 02:11 AM
Planar Protector

Having never played a ranger, I don't understand why they couldn't solo well. Earthcaller is 50% slow, Dark Cloak of the Sky is 40% self haste, damage shield + dual wield should approach solo monk damage, Swiftwind has a solid ratio, all velious armor has huge AC, and Chloroplast at 55 is 2/3 of a fungi. You aren't going to walk into that gear at L50 but I would imagine it would come relatively quickly joining most semi-casual guilds like AG or Fires.

I'm mostly not a big soloer any more, but I like to be able to handle entrance mobs rather than going AFK for hours LFG, and I would think Rangers would fit the bill there. Especially I'd be curious to see if Rangers could root/snare/camp out and split say the sebilis entrance.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:53 AM
Planar Protector

Earthcaller is great and even better when it procs. Velious armor has lots of ac but our def cap is capped at 200 so those mobs hit hard. Dark cloak of the sky doesn't seem to rot / isn't sold so you'll get one if you join a guild that does sky, it just might take a while. They can definitely solo but it's nothing close to a monks level.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:00 AM
Planar Protector

Epics / Dark Cloak of the Sky / Fungi = solo to lv 60 pre-Velious.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:15 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm mostly not a big soloer any more, but I like to be able to handle entrance mobs rather than going AFK for hours LFG, and I would think Rangers would fit the bill there. Especially I'd be curious to see if Rangers could root/snare/camp out and split say the sebilis entrance.
With the gear you mentioned, they should easily be able to do that.
Root park the add (melee preferably); melee/nuke down the other. Re-root as needed. Then either self-heal and tackle #2, or camp out to reset aggro and split the spawn times up a bit.

Problem is, for the majority of Rangers out there, Earthcaller + Dark Cloak + Fungi aren't exactly within reach. Which suddenly makes soloing a lot trickier.
Closed Thread