Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Rants and Flames

View Poll Results: Read my thread. Or don't. Then judge me
Timtebow was a gay name and you got what you deserved. Camp check! 11 21.57%
Timtebow is at least as creative as squirting vagina or jizzing dick. Change every name 8 15.69%
Restore Timtebow! 21 41.18%
This post is hidden because Harrison is on your ignore list. (option 3) 11 21.57%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 03:52 AM
Sarnak

Default --

This is like 2 people racing, and the one who gets caught complains that justice has not been met since the other got away.

Every name involved in this is against the rules and exists somewhere in the gray area of uncreative to dumb. Just level another monk to 20 with another stupid name if you really need the attention. Or, for the ULTIMATE REVENGE, you could petition that your teenage son asked what a squirty vagina was and get their name changed too!

As much as <Meow> may be dumb for wasting their time even trying to kill you in there, you were never attempting to PvP or contest anything. You are just using FD, faction, and, if HHK is anything like it was on live, screwy agro and pathing to ruin a zone. You use the same utilities that go into training to create situations where your opponents cannot fight back. You had your time to color on the walls, mommy took away the crayons, and now it's time to find something else to do.

Thank you GMs and staff for the time you spend babysitting.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:53 AM
Planar Protector

Name rules are there rules, but its sad to see that theres been an issue made out of his pvp tactics. He didn't do anything wrong in that respect, and it shouldn't have even been brought up.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:32 AM
Kobold

As much as I'd love to just level up a new monk, I have honestly spent all my casual time since the launch of this server getting to 33. I wouldn't do it again. The point you guys seem to be missing is the heavyhanded and blatantly biased application of their rules. Maybe I'll see you complaining about a similar decision about something with much higher stakes soon
Old 03-13-2012, 05:53 AM
Kobold

Names are kinda a bitch to deal with, Squirty vigana is def against the policy, but he didnt say anything about the vagina part just the squirty ( squirty might be alright if u dont use vagina as a surname) same with strong dong, Mabye he changed their surnames. its just like the racial shit that goes on here, u cant say n****r or any other racist shit but there is a guy named
(nips) < racials for chinese poeple, have petitioned his name apprently he has petitioned it as well, some people dont know all the racial words, but if 1 is gonna be censored, censor all of them.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:39 AM
Orc

Incompetence got a new Name. What a BS, Sirken, Sir. Ridiculous.

Server Ruleset and the Peeps keeping this "Rules" is def. a big Problem for the Server.

/Sad
Old 03-13-2012, 06:54 AM
Aviak

Quote:
TL: DR version: Don't like what Sirken did. Answers in a big long-winded post here so he can read some feedback.
Have to say I disagree with Sirken's actions here:

a) He clearly states that the PvP actions of the monk formerly known as Timtebow are not illegal, however he states this as the main purpose of his visit, to say that these sorts of actions are bad for the server.

I disagree with this, since PvP activities, whether they be killing, griefing, and using all legal means to gain a fighting advantage, are expected and should be expected on a PvP server. If people cannot handle this type of play, they are welcome to play on Blue instead. Sirken, and the other staff, should be policing illegal activities, not legal ones. If there were other illegal activities conducted, such as training(which I don't think should be illegal, but right now it is), then it should've been mentioned at the start, but it wasn't.

b) Sirken's justification for changing Timtebow's name as opposed to not changing Squirty Vagina, Strong Dong, and Mckatface's names, are that Timtebow's name violates two sections of the naming policy, where the others only violate one.

I disagree with this as well for two reasons. The first is, as noted here by Salem Orchid:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...8&postcount=11

As noted, names such as Strong Dong or Squirty Vagina also violate more than one section of the naming policy. (Mckatface does not, however.) By your reasoning you'd also have to change those names, and you did say that you were going to run them by the staff, so that is acknowledged at least.

The second reason is that, if you are going to police names, you will have several weeks of work to do. Probably a third to half of the names on this server violate the naming policy in one way or another. Furthermore, most people only care about the naming policy when they're butthurt, such as in this case. I doubt it ruined Meow's immersion(immersion on a PvP server? ha!) that they were getting beat up by a monk named Timtebow.

I can just imagine the usual petition: /petition HAY GM, insertnamehere was totally griefing me with xploit and hack and train, and his name violates the naming policy too!!!111!! OMG BAN HIMZ~

In closing? Sirken was probably having a bad day; I mean, who wouldn't, having to babysit a server full of strange people who are terminally insane enough to play on a server like this(myself included). But I disagree with his actions nonetheless:

1) If they're breaking the rules, ban 'em. If they're not, don't go up to them and ask them nicely to make nice. This is red99, not the Model UN. People didn't come here to play nice. They came here to make people bleed.

2) This server clearly appears to have a relaxed naming policy, where only the most egregious of naming violations are policed. If this is the case, please don't cater to people who have sand in their underpants. If this isn't the case, please show more consistency in enforcement.

Anyway, this is RnF so I'm not supposed to say shit that makes sense, but hey.

Also, I want to close by saying I appreciate the work that the Guides do here. Wouldn't want to do that job even if it was a paying one. Props.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:56 AM
Planar Protector

not gonna lie i didn't just read that
Old 03-13-2012, 06:58 AM
Planar Protector

TL for just a simple thread about name violation lol

They either need to police all names.. or not at all

pick and choose is where all the RnF come from.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:02 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flunklesnarkin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
TL for just a simple thread about name violation lol
Agree, but I needed some writing practice while I wake up with some coffee.

Also, this isn't just a problem about names, it's also about acceptable PvP conditions, enforcement of staff, etc.

I'd take it to PM's but it clearly says at the bottom there that Sirken is OK with it posted here, so +1 to him for being willing to take the heat
Old 03-13-2012, 07:15 AM
Planar Protector

You came across as confrontational to Sirken

but w/e... just means you get to hide behind a new name till people figure it out (i'd embrace that)

Where is a link to the naming policy for red?

Is it the same as blue?

That wouldn't make sense to me at all if it is.
Closed Thread