Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-02-2010, 06:49 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Running in VirtualBox on linux - no avatar models

I KNOW i have seen something similar to this around before but been searching like mad.

I managed to get EQ running under VirtualBox on Ubuntu (so i can sneak play at work [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
However i get no character models, i only see weapons/items in hands floating in the air...

Anyone got any hints on how to fix it or is it simply unfixable due to the virtualization layer? With Vbox Guest additions it IS supposed to get direct access to the HW tho i believe...

Any ideas?
Old 06-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Fire Giant

Are you running it in a windows virtualbox on Ubuntu or under Wine? I'm assuming windows?
Old 06-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Ubuntu as host - WinXP as guest in the Vbox.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Fire Giant

I'm installing XP Home on Ubuntu 10.04 Virtualbox atm to test. Are you running Virtualbox 3.2?
Old 06-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Banned

I had the same thing running WiNe. But my issue was the crappy intel GM965 drivers for linux. I went ahead and installed the latest Beta from winehq.org and everything works reasonably well now.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Fire Giant

Why run Virtualbox? I run EQ in Ubuntu under WINE no problem...

See http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?p=54429

Regards,
Mg

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I KNOW i have seen something similar to this around before but been searching like mad.

I managed to get EQ running under VirtualBox on Ubuntu (so i can sneak play at work [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
However i get no character models, i only see weapons/items in hands floating in the air...

Anyone got any hints on how to fix it or is it simply unfixable due to the virtualization layer? With Vbox Guest additions it IS supposed to get direct access to the HW tho i believe...

Any ideas?
FWIW this is an issue with stock WINE in LINUX, if you run it stock no char models. You need to make a minor change in WINE to resolve it... see the thread I quoted above.

Regards,
Mg

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!
Old 06-03-2010, 02:39 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgellan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why run Virtualbox? I run EQ in Ubuntu under WINE no problem...

See http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?p=54429

Regards,
Mg
Well been trying all kinds of ways to get it to run under Wine but kept crashing when trying to initialize the graphics. I think it has to do with the unorthodox video mode im running at work (1920x1200). Gonna look through that thread though see if i can get it to work!

Thanks for the hints.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Hello,

I have, like the original poster, decide to go the hard path versus the easy(easier). And I installed EQ on a Windows XP Guest fully patched virtual on an Ubuntu 10.10 fully patched install. After much wrestling with WineD3D and Guest additions and 3d acceleration settings I got it to load and logged in to Project 1999 server. I get the following screenshow character creation screen. No amount of pressing the buttons on the left displays any characters.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Any help would be appreciated. I'll probably try Wine Emulator. But I haven't compiled from source lately since there are .deb binaries available.

**UPDATE** - I have gotten a little further. The download and install of the latest NVidia drivers on the Linux host gave me a better experience. The buttons actually responded and opened up new menu choices. That worked for awhile then at random times the buttons sometimes crashed to the Windows Guest desktop. There was an option to submit an error report. I am not sure if these bug reports are sent to Sony or the project1999 team. But I clicked send once out of the multiple crashes.

Thanks in advance,

Cheswick
Last edited by cheswick; 01-12-2011 at 11:08 PM..