Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 03:09 AM
Aviak

Default What's the Deal With Staff of the Dreaded Gaze?

Wiki gives it a 30 day average of 35,769 plat. Why? It has unlimited casts of a 7.0 second, 0 mana cost version of Invoke Fear, which normally has a 2.5 second cast, 100 mana cost. I get why that could be an improvement - it's slower, but it's free on mana, and if the mob is already feared, it's a free re-Fear. And (probably the most important part) it saves a spell gem, which would be great and all...

Except:
When you're fear kiting, you typically only need 5-6 gems, NOT 8, and certainly not 9.
You have to equip it. It has horrific stats (especially considering it's 2 handed).
By the time you're level 40 and able to use it for the Fear, if you were sitting down, you would have gained more than 100 Mana (ticks being 6 seconds mean you'll lose one Meditate tick by using the staff versus casting Invoke Fear between ticks).
It costs (or opportunity costs) nearly 36,000 plat.

I don't get it. What's the big deal? Why does every Necro seem to want one?
Old 03-09-2017, 04:13 AM
Fire Giant

Its just like Hand of the Reaper, its something tunnel merchants build statues and waterfall tributes to their empires off of, and functionally unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

If I was to sit a young necro down and they asked me what the least efficient way to level would be....

Fear/Kite everything. Make sure to blow 80% mana a kill to outdamage the pet instead of duoing to xp safer and quicker. Ignore charming undead entirely. Also, for the love of god, blow 40k to make sure you get the free mana clicky so you can waste all your mana outdmging your pet while casting fear as slowly as possible instead of medding ticks.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Most of the people with bad experiences with me hang out in R&F, shocking, looks like I'm doing something right.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:34 AM
Sarnak

In theory, it's the trinity of the soulwell staff, epic, and this staff that gives a necro an impractical means to mana free fear kite. Given that, with the staff rarity is what drives this price up I think. I'd be interested know how many people actually go out and buy the staff, considering a necro is already monstrously efficient with mana regen, splurt, undead charming.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:38 AM
Planar Protector

on red you can cast spells whilst sitting so this staff is great.

on blue it's just a fun, cheap, luxury item you can play around with.
not as useful as a gob gazughi or something, but still nice to have around.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:30 AM
Sarnak

Rarity and free cast.

That said, I've yet to run OOM during a fear kite and 7 second cast time versus 2.5 + hitting a med tick makes it a hard sell for me.

Extremely low priority for me.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:41 PM
Fire Giant

Best use I've seen is for the oft fear-breaking Loaches in SS.

Its just a status symbol. I believe Sirken posted a while ago that <=1 drop per day, so pretty darn rare. And it looks cool. So,
1) Rare
2) Looks cool
3) Click-stick

I think that's all you need for anything to be exorbitant in price.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:09 PM
Large Bat

Default Pesky Xalgoz

As a Necromancer I am willing to camp it for the achievement and for having it as another tool in the Tink Bag. Have saved every outgrown robe and hand items. Fun to wear random stuff during silly guild festivities and arena time. FashionQuest, in the end it's all we have.

Back when the staff was 20K, said I'd never waste that kind of money on it. That said, if I had one would never sell it for that little either.. Ha.

Now at 40K, blows my mind. Never.

I'm around 20 Xalgoz/PH kills in, no dice. Probably still have a long way to go.

Availability of play hours have changed, can't seem to get on during the quiet hours and find it empty anymore. Often it's camped by non Necro classes. Now that the staff seems to sell for twice the previous cost it has become a worthwhile camp for them I guess? Maybe it always has been, I was just too level to notice at the time. I have nearly given up on it. Need to start waking up early again if want the silly stick. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But the real killer is some of these folks have a habit of being /anon, which drives me insane. I'll literally upon logon perform a /who all Kaesora and when no results and then bust over there to find a handful camping the guy. Make Kaesora great again, don't /anon!!

Ugh. Good luck to all on their own Gaze Staff!
Old 03-09-2017, 05:29 PM
Banned

These non-checking red folk disgust me like you wouldn't believe.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:06 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb9 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But the real killer is some of these folks have a habit of being /anon, which drives me insane. I'll literally upon logon perform a /who all Kaesora and when no results and then bust over there to find a handful camping the guy. Make Kaesora great again, don't /anon!!
This is probably one of my bigger annoyances in the game. What is the point of being /anon all the time? What's the big secret? I guess I can kinda see it if you're a higher lev cleric and don't want to be pestered for rezzes all the time or I guess a druid/wiz for port beggars (although it's really not all that hard to just /r sorry, busy atm) but for the rest f you, why /anon? Serious question.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:20 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuurin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is probably one of my bigger annoyances in the game. What is the point of being /anon all the time? What's the big secret? I guess I can kinda see it if you're a higher lev cleric and don't want to be pestered for rezzes all the time or I guess a druid/wiz for port beggars (although it's really not all that hard to just /r sorry, busy atm) but for the rest f you, why /anon? Serious question.
CAN I GET A C? HEY WANT TO GROUP IN X SHITTY ZONE?
Closed Thread