Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-03-2015, 04:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What looks easy to some people isn't easy for others. PC building and messing with components was never my thing.
Literally to build a computer all you need to start is the motherboard. You buy a case that fits the motherboard. You buy a CPU that fits the motherboard. You buy ram that fits the motherboard. Its just a matter of matching up numbers and plugs. I'm a moron when it comes to software or programming but i'm smart enough to know how to match 2 sets of numbers and put a plug in its correct hole. And if you cant do something there is always Youtube. Youtube you can find visual guides on basically how to do anything. Hell i'm sure there is a guide to masterbaiting on Youtube if someone needed to actually see how to do it :P
Old 09-03-2015, 04:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Literally to build a computer all you need to start is the motherboard. You buy a case that fits the motherboard. You buy a CPU that fits the motherboard. You buy ram that fits the motherboard. Its just a matter of matching up numbers and plugs.
How do you pick a "good" motherboard? How do you know which components are compatible with that motherboard? It's a minefield.

What about installing software etc after you've got components fitted? What about compatibility, IRQ ports and shaking out weird bugs?

Nope, not for me thanks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-03-2015, 04:42 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What looks easy to some people isn't easy for others. PC building and messing with components was never my thing.
It's basically Legos. Or whatever the euro version of kids' building blocks is.

Blue
: Seniksin | Jarshale
Red: Sieg | Cazissa
Old 09-03-2015, 04:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
How do you pick a "good" motherboard? How do you know which components are compatible with that motherboard? It's a minefield.

What about installing software etc after you've got components fitted? What about compatibility, IRQ ports and shaking out weird bugs?

Nope, not for me thanks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You do research on what a "good" motherboard is. Then as i said you match up numbers to get correct components. Motherboard has a LGA1150 socket. You buy a LGA1150 socket CPU. Any site to go to will let you sort by types of things you need. Motherboard accepts DDR3 1866 Ram. You find DDR 1866 Ram. Its pretty simple.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
IRQ ports
HAHA! This isn't 1995 bro.

IRQ and DMA related issues with HW components. I last trouble shot that ....in the early 90s I believe.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:06 PM
Planar Protector

I'd rather buy a ready built one - that probably upsets some of you [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-03-2015, 05:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I'd rather buy a ready built one - that probably upsets some of you [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It doesn't upset me. All sarcasm aside...

When you build your own PC, you learn to use the same amount of money as you would when purchasing a pre-built computer but you get better items, therefore in the end you get a better computer.

It turns in to an obsession and becomes a hobby. Being content with buying a pre-built PC is just fine. Throughout the years large manufactures have become better at building PCs for the public. They are less expensive and you get fairly decent items (video cards, RAM, CPUs and more).
Old 09-03-2015, 05:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It doesn't upset me. All sarcasm aside...

When you build your own PC, you learn to use the same amount of money as you would when purchasing a pre-built computer but you get better items, therefore in the end you get a better computer.

It turns in to an obsession and becomes a hobby. Being content with buying a pre-built PC is just fine. Throughout the years large manufactures have become better at building PCs for the public. They are less expensive and you get fairly decent items (video cards, RAM, CPUs and more).
It can also be out of necessity. Being a 16 year old kind and having my video card go out i had to scavenge up enough money just to buy a new card. No way in hell i could afford to pay someone to install it. Learned how to install it and setup myself and it went from there. A computer has less then 10 pieces to it. Its not rocket science. Just recently built a $1200 Rig(pcpart*****er.com estimate) for around 900 after finding deals. You would be lucky to find it for under 1500 prebuilt. Saving money can be a nice motivator too.
Last edited by Thulack; 09-03-2015 at 05:27 PM..
Old 09-03-2015, 06:29 PM
Orc

I've been using RamDisk for just under a year now on a fairly decent desktop:

i5 2500k
8GB DDR3 1600 (16GB Now)
GTX 560ti
240 GB Crucial M500 SSD
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HDD

I previously kept my client on the Crucial M500, but I still had the camera flipping issue, which is supposedly caused by others zoning into your current zone. If you're a bard trying to level up via swarm kiting, that's game breaking. I guess for a wizards and druids trying to quad it could be a pita too. Other than that, it's just super annoying, especially when it makes you double zone. Anyhow, RamDisk fixes that. As for zoning in general, a lot of the time it's instant for me, but there are still several occasions where it takes 10s or more to zone. RamDisk isn't going to completely eliminate zone times, it's going to reduce or eliminate your HDD/SSD as a factor in zone times.

If you want to try it out, and have a 64bit system with 6-8GB, you should be fine, but I wouldn't recommend it on a system with less. Just be wary of how much ram space you're actively/normally using, which you can view via the windows resource monitor. You only need an approximately 2GB RamDisk for P99, so if you observe plenty of headroom, go for it.

To get your P99 EQ Client under 2GB, you just have to create an EQLite version, which will remove anything past Velious, and still leave you room to run the higher res textures. You can find the EQLite instructions here:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=7186

For the RamDisk software, I like Softperfect Ramdisk, which I've linked below. I previously used DataRam's free version, but the new versions limit it to 1GB. Softperfect actually benchmarks significantly higher, it's free, and it comes with no size or feature limitations. The downside is that it's a little more complicated to setup your disk. You have to create the 2048MB NTFS image first, and then add the 2048MB disk that uses it.

https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

Here is somewhat of a tutorial on setting up the Softperfect RamDisk. You can also view their online manual from the link above as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_R2uyuqVxw
Old 09-03-2015, 07:06 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You do research on what a "good" motherboard is. Then as i said you match up numbers to get correct components. Motherboard has a LGA1150 socket. You buy a LGA1150 socket CPU. Any site to go to will let you sort by types of things you need. Motherboard accepts DDR3 1866 Ram. You find DDR 1866 Ram. Its pretty simple.
You can't always simply go by the numbers. For example, Intel released both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge on LGA1155. If you bought a Z68 motherboard, which is compatible with both, you would need to upgrade the firmware before the Ivy Bridge would work. Without an SB cpu to do so, you would be S.O.L.

Building your own PC by far a lot easier than it used to be, but there are still plenty of little common issues that will stonewall a first timer.

The biggest benefits of building your own are:
  1. You'll save a good chunk of money.
  2. Most retail parts come with 3+ years of manufacturer warranty. Some parts even come with lifetime. With a shelf system you'll get 1 year manufacturer, and have to pay a premium for any extended coverage.
  3. Better quality parts.
  4. You'll become much more familiar with the hardware in your computer, making you more comfortable in maintaining and upgrading it, which will also save you money.

The Downside:
  1. Your nerd level will increase just enough to push you over 9000.