Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:55 AM
Fire Giant

Send a message via MSN to Jify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I honestly like the true to life timeline. I understand in wanting to speed things up, but I believe the devs and the people who do all the work want to stick as close to classic is as possible. And I feel we should stand behind them on that. It's really up to them what happens and we will follow no matter what. I played EQ from 1998 to 2004 and I really enjoyed the timeline. (If anyone wants to be a smart arse like normal, yes EQ was out in 1998, if you were in beta) And I do think it gives the newer players a chance to experience how this server is now. If anyone wants to take a month or two off after they get lvl 50 and wait for the content, you are glad to. There are new people on this server every day, and some of those people want to camp a manastone or rubi bp for themselves just as everyone else did, so why not give them a chance? I do agree having more raid content would help, but why rush the natural order?

Everyone joined this server knowing (hopefully) that it is as true to classic as possible, so why not try and stick to that? Xplodr and I were actually having a conversation about keeping this as classic as possible the other day, where did that reasoning go X!? haha, I hear where you are coming from, you got to lvl 50 very quickly and started raiding, now what to do!? Lvl your enc or your druid! help out noobs and have more fun.
NOTE: This is not an attack on the Devs, GMs or server.

The problem right now, is that we did not follow the natural order. Paineel was out at launch. Magicians have pet heals. Pets aren't regulated on weapon delay (classic). Charm holds for it's full length 99% of the time if you've got enough CHA (was this classic? I never remember charm being so OPd). Quillmane cloaks aren't instant. Kithicor was "bloody" since launch. Shadowmen are in.

I KNOW these are tiny things, but they add up. If Paineel is out and shadowmen are about, why not release Sol Ro? If guilds are scrapping and warring because there isn't enough content (and pretty much any top guild can kill any target), why not open new content (that is ready for release?).

I'm all for natural order. But we aren't following natural order. We are following a selective group of events, which may or may not happen in a correct order, based on the time they are "completed" and "released" to us.

And again. This is the best classic server, period. Maybe way down the road others will pop up. But for now, and the foreseeable future, this is the one and only, the big daddy, THE classic experience. But, a classic experience it may be, it is not a "Exact Classicly Accurate Server".
Old 02-01-2010, 01:03 AM
Planar Protector

Well said, Doug.
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
DAOC: Uthgard Revamp (old thread with some useful info)
"Sometimes a Majority means, that most fools are on the same side"
Old 02-01-2010, 03:11 AM
Fire Giant

No one is saying this is a classic server, but you have to look at it thusly:

If people are bored now, and you release content early, What are you doing? speeding up the death rate of this server. Everyone knows it, this server stops at velious.

Basically, every content release is a stopping point to keep us (the player base) happy and busy doing something. I agree, manastones and rubicite needs to be gone, but things like hate and sol ro and sky will just speed up the inevitable.

Let us war. Let us farm shit for months on end, we need something to do so that this server lives for 4ish years, not 1 and a half or 2. This gives other guilds time to catch up, and doesnt let any one guild run away with anything (till kunark that is)

Just my 2cents. let it drag on. You'd be kicking yourself in a year and a half if we sped up anything. because you speed up one thing, it leads to speeding up the next just a little more, and just a little more. and all that.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:33 AM
Kobold

Well put Taluvill! And Jify you have a lot of good points of things that aren't classic or weren't released in the right timeframe, but does that mean we just stop trying? It will never be perfect and we know that, it's impossible. Why not try to keep what we can classic? I say that we play as much of the classic experience as we can while we can. Talu is right, releasing it early will just lead to the end of the server faster. I would like for this to go on for a few years honestly.
Last edited by Pikle; 02-01-2010 at 06:39 AM..
Old 02-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Sarnak

I know when you get to the higher levels its hard to see whats going on in any aspect of game other than the current end-game. I just recently started on this server and am very stoked that I discovered it when I did (still early). I'm looking forward to having the time to experience the "original" content before the first expansion comes out. It's seems as though there are still a good amount of people trying this game or leveling low levels characters. I've been in Nektulos recently and there are usually 8-12 people in the zone, most of which I see running around as I am with little to no gear (a twink here and there). I know Nek isn't the most popular starting zone but it shows me that there are still new players coming in.
I'm looking forward to raiding and I can definitely understand that those who have already hit 50 and been raiding want more content, but as we open more content I definitely see the population thinning as I had experienced in live play. And that creates a concern for myself as well as other players that are just discovering this server and are looking for people (or alts) to level with. I also see the drive for the already, dare I say, "elite" guilds that don't want more competition on raid mobs that will inevitably come with time. I'm not sure as to what percentage of the server is 40+ and raiding (although I can't imagine its a large percentage), but I hope the devs here are taking into consideration the majority of the population. So far it seems as though they are doing a great job because this is by far the most "classic" server you can find.
I look forward to playing and raiding with you all and sharing the experience of Everquest all over again!

**P.S. - I have always played Iksars and am very excited for their release, but I'm okay waiting because there is so much to do before Kunark.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

This is the problem that Verant had at the beginning. It's also what caused the release of expansions before they were ready, and the ultimate decline of Everquest.

The "uber" 24-hour-a-day highly competitive players versus the more casual players. The "I have no more content" vs. "let me enjoy the game".

Difficult question, but look at what happened to our beloved EQ, and think about why we are all back here on P1999.

I say slow down...roll more alts, let the server population increase, let as MANY people enjoy as much of the truly classic experience as they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
if your reason to be here is to ruin other peoples experiences and grief them off the server, then not only do you not deserve the privilege of playing here, but i will remove your ability to do so.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Kobold

Hate, Sky, & SolRo are not going to thin the server population to much degree at all.
But it will increase the possibilities for the uber dudes that want more to do.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Situation [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hate, Sky, & SolRo are not going to thin the server population to much degree at all.
No server should ever cater to "uber dudes", unless they are paying the devs (non-existent) salaries of course.

Stuff gets released when stuff gets released. There are so many threads about this topic already. If some people are afraid that they won't be so uber any more if others have a chance to catch up that's their problem, not the server's problem.

As long as the server population keeps rising at the current rate then I would say that the devs are doing something right, not wrong.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Kobold

I can't agree more! slow down and enjoy this classic content. I played 2000-2004 on and off and I am just now really enjoying some of this classic raid content. For example i have never been to POF but I'll go on Friday!!
Old 02-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Aviak

Default So?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Situation [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So what, if we release Hate, Sky & SolRo they will just clear them and then come back here bitching for more content again. I was a hard core raider back in the day and I know how much it sucked to run out of content. But it makes no difference how much content there is, some uber guild will clear it all, farm it to hell and want more. Guess what? This stops at Velious... There will be no more... Slow down enjoy the game and stop whining.
Closed Thread