Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 12:26 AM
Aviak

Iksar is the way to go. At lvl 51 I can cast call of bones and go afk and not lose hir points while sitting. The added regen is a very beneficial advantage over the other necro races.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysky [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shhhhit I'd say go iksar, why? Because I can hold down an extra mob or two in an experience grind where as you other races have to med due to that extra cast. Let me just say, iksar regen gained me few extra go arounds on specter island in the oasis. I was able to sufficiently pull all but one of the eight spawns, due to me saving that 15% mana from that uneeded lifetap. Vampiric curse is all I ever need to stay positive with my call of bones active. I'm just a 43 iksar necro, what do I know.
agree with this, plus i find that as an iksar, i probably die a lot less than other races. Thats just my naive opinion though.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:46 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not every Shaman makes level 60, and not all those who reach 60 acquire Torpor. As such, racial regeneration is very much a concern for many Shaman players.

Danth
For anyone considering rolling Shaman, I regret Ogre for this very reason. I probably won't get 60 and definitely won't get Torpor, so Troll would have been a better choice because of the regen. I'm 21 now and considering re-rolling.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:50 PM
Planar Protector

Iksar race confers an undeniable advantage for the necro class.

Play what you want and what will make you happy, just know that your job as a necro will be a lot easier as a lizard. The biggest drawback relates to merchant options, but with your first skeleton illusion lich this becomes a lot less of a problem.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 02-02-2017, 02:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofaelol [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For anyone considering rolling Shaman, I regret Ogre for this very reason. I probably won't get 60 and definitely won't get Torpor, so Troll would have been a better choice because of the regen. I'm 21 now and considering re-rolling.
Frontal stun immunity has it's uses, but it's not nearly the huge benefit many insist that it is - and that's considering the moments in time where it might make a difference. For every point in time that you're not actively getting beat on, it gives you nothing. Racial regen is there always ... buffing, medding, running from point A to B and still being able to Canni harder, playing the group game - you name it. Torpor goes a long way towards making regen less relevant, but as has been stated - not all shamans even make it to 60 and the process of acquiring the spell itself is a headache. Once any shaman of any race HAS torpor - the game gets trivial to the point that the FSI/Regen/whatever debate is pointless.

One of THE best solo-artist shamans on this server was a barbarian - which has neither racial benefit. It just demonstrates how powerful torpor is and how important skill can be in those extremes of trophy killing where theoretically FSI is supposed to pay off the most.

Pick Ogre if you like it - FSI and the extra stats will be your benefit.

Pick Barbarian if you like it - being less hated and leveling faster will be your benefit.

Pick Iksar if you like it - racial regen is your huge perk and the starting area is nice.

Pick Troll if you like it - racial regen is your huge perk, great balance in starting stats, large size for bash and ability to wear Jaundiced armor (perks over iksar) will be your extra niceties.

Min/max ideal? I'd vote Troll.
-Large size for slam (iksar has not)
-Can wear jaundiced (iksar has not)
-Racial regen is clutch (ogre and barb have not)
-Excellent (imo arguably the best) balance of the important starting stats
-Only thing you miss out on are the looks and FSI - and the racial penalty disadvantages that are trivial compared to ogre and really only meaningful in relation to the worst race choice (barbarian).

TLDR version: regen makes a shaman's life a lot more easy than any other racial trait you could pick. If you're only looking for the benefit, it's therefore not in your best interest to pick Ogre.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 02-02-2017 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-02-2017, 03:39 PM
Aviak

Troll master race!
Old 02-03-2017, 04:08 PM
Kobold

I seem to be the exception to the choice. My preference is Erudite all the way for a Necromancer.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:18 PM
Planar Protector

Iksars can't wear this. I think the choice is clear

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-03-2017, 07:13 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Frontal stun immunity has it's uses, but it's not nearly the huge benefit many insist that it is - and that's considering the moments in time where it might make a difference. For every point in time that you're not actively getting beat on, it gives you nothing. Racial regen is there always ... buffing, medding, running from point A to B and still being able to Canni harder, playing the group game - you name it. Torpor goes a long way towards making regen less relevant, but as has been stated - not all shamans even make it to 60 and the process of acquiring the spell itself is a headache. Once any shaman of any race HAS torpor - the game gets trivial to the point that the FSI/Regen/whatever debate is pointless.

One of THE best solo-artist shamans on this server was a barbarian - which has neither racial benefit. It just demonstrates how powerful torpor is and how important skill can be in those extremes of trophy killing where theoretically FSI is supposed to pay off the most.

Pick Ogre if you like it - FSI and the extra stats will be your benefit.

Pick Barbarian if you like it - being less hated and leveling faster will be your benefit.

Pick Iksar if you like it - racial regen is your huge perk and the starting area is nice.

Pick Troll if you like it - racial regen is your huge perk, great balance in starting stats, large size for bash and ability to wear Jaundiced armor (perks over iksar) will be your extra niceties.

Min/max ideal? I'd vote Troll.
-Large size for slam (iksar has not)
-Can wear jaundiced (iksar has not)
-Racial regen is clutch (ogre and barb have not)
-Excellent (imo arguably the best) balance of the important starting stats
-Only thing you miss out on are the looks and FSI - and the racial penalty disadvantages that are trivial compared to ogre and really only meaningful in relation to the worst race choice (barbarian).

TLDR version: regen makes a shaman's life a lot more easy than any other racial trait you could pick. If you're only looking for the benefit, it's therefore not in your best interest to pick Ogre.
You fail to mention one thing iksars have and thats something around a 20% armor bonus. Unless the server starts doing some custom patches they will always be superior
Old 02-04-2017, 03:04 AM
Sarnak

I think someone said Iksar for min/max, can't beat the regen for a necromancer as life = mana. Though Dark Elves to me always seemed to be the optimal lore choice as far as being the classic Necromancer race and looking bad-ass.
Closed Thread