Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 08:32 AM
Large Rat

Default New to Everquest

I recently got into Everquest for the first time and started on this server. I have definitely been enjoying the game so far, despite how obtuse it is for a new player.

There are a few things I was wonder; do you get a maximum number of skill points in this game? An example would be how in Ultima, there were only 700 skill points available. Am I able to level up all skills as high as I can manage, or is there a total skill cap?

Second, and probably most asked question, is what would be a good class for someone who is completely new to Everquest? I'm not a huge fan of Mages, but everything is fine by me.

Thanks for any responses!
Old 02-16-2017, 09:47 PM
Kobold

There's no total max on skill points. Each skill can go up independently to their max values. However that max value can vary. For example as a Necro I can only raise my dodge to 75 whereas meelee classes can go higher. But no its not like UO (I always hated that about UO).

As for class for a new player - if you don't like caster classes maybe try a monk or warrior. What I think is great about Eq is that all classes are viable. There's no bad choice, just what appeals to you. Maybe if you describe the kind of play experience you want or what you like or don't like about classes in other games people can give you better advice.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:04 AM
Large Rat

Thanks for clarifying how the skills work. I feel a lot less anxious about leveling now haha.

I'm typically against Mages, but I went ahead and made an Iksar Necromancer and I'm really enjoying it. I heard tanks are really hard to play because of the money required, and besides tanks, I like Rangers and hand to hand classes, if they exist in this game.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:17 AM
Fire Giant

I would recommend druid as a first class. You get a glimpse of a lot of different play styles while at the same time it isn't overwhelming. Be aware that druids will have troubles getting groups at very high levels, so you will probably want to level a different class later on. But to get the hang of EQ, druid is pretty great.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:00 PM
Aviak

I second the recommendation for a druid. It was my first class on this server and I've never regretted it.

Welcome to the game! I hope you enjoy your time here.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:03 PM
Fire Giant

Mage is a great idea for a first character to farm with - Necro is another.
No gear is necessary to hit 60. No, really, none.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:32 PM
Planar Protector

I would agree with the Mage and Necro class. But, Monks are easy too. Plus once you get FD surviving goes up 10 fold.

I mean, if Chest can do it, anyone can.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:30 PM
Sarnak

Welcome! I also recommend necro, druid, or mage. Very little equipment required and high soloability. Can farm that plat for other chars once you decide what you like.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:42 PM
Skeleton

I feel monk is an extremely poor choice for a complete newbie to Everquest. You can't carry a lot of loot, you are a front line melee expected to take hits and yet you lack the gear to do so at first, and the worst is you're expect to be pulling which is a seasoned activity.

Druid, Mage, or Necro are great choices.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:28 PM
Large Rat

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I did end up going with an Iksar Necromancer and have been enjoying the game immensely. Almost reminds me of Morrowind, in a way. I might check Druid next.

I cat wait to explore the rest of the game and hopefully see some people.
Closed Thread