Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 09:11 AM
Kobold

Default Returning Player - Questions about class selection/solo options

I'm not a new player but haven't really played in about 6 months and am looking to make a return to Norrath now that I have a bit more time to play.

I don't want to exclusively solo cause the game is obviously more fun in groups, but there are times where I only have a bit of time to jump on and getting a group isn't super worth it.

I've been debating a wizard, magician, or ranger so that I have the option to solo when I don't have a ton of time to play. How well do you think those classes would work for solo? Are they wanted in groups too? Is there another class that may work better for what I'm looking for?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:19 AM
Fire Giant

Wizard is the group pariah, stay away from it if you want to group a lot. The reason: Wizard is supposed to be a DPS class, but since all the DPS is coming directly from mana, the wizards sustained DPS is not great. Mix in the fact tha basically all melees are twinked. If you play wizard you will solo a lot (higher level wizards are pretty good at it with quadding). Wizards do have a role in raids, so end game is not hopeless.

Magician is still a nice DPS class, can fill DPS role in groups and can solo pretty well. It's not super wanted in groups due to the unflexibility of the class, but better than wizard by far.

Ranger is a mixed bag. Can tank in earlier levels, does pretty nice (although not amazing) DPS and can solo decently with snare and panic animal. Gets group invites (but isn't a core group class) and is needed for tracking.

The best solo/group class is enchanter. Soloes amazingly well (but soloing is risky) and is very valuable in groups. There is a good amount of enchanters around though.

Bard is another great solo/group class. Bards can do pretty much everything.

Another nice class is necro. Although most people think of it as a solo class, necros can do amazing things in groups if they stop using their solo tactics.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:02 PM
Sarnak

Don't forget shaman, they can solo pretty well and are useful in groups.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:42 PM
Kobold

Thanks for the feedback Pyrion & Subidoo. I'll stay away from Wizard. Not much interest in enchanter or bard.

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by core group class? Well less what do you mean, and more what classes would be included. I'm assuming Warrior/Cleric/Enchanter?

I'll also look a little harder at Ranger, Magician and Shaman.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I know its unorthodox but I love to solo on my warrior. I just solo'd all of 38 in the overthere using a combination of bow kiting and zerking.
You need to twink out a bit but nothing beats it.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:59 PM
Sarnak

Enchanter, cleric and rogue are loved by all in groups. The only one out of those three that can solo anytime they want would be the ench, a shaman is a versatile class they get slow, haste, a pet at mid lvls, they heal and at lower levels can solo tank with their slows.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:25 PM
Fire Giant

Necro is very underrated in groups
Old 04-11-2017, 04:54 PM
Planar Protector

Wizard - a wizard's best group attribute is porting. You can form a pick up group relatively quickly and go to remote locations. A lot of group dependent classes like Warriors and Rogue will love you even though you are a leech on their experience once you get to where you are going. They will be happy to fighting and not sitting LFG, and a lot are super happy to be going somewhere remote and under utilized.

Magician - good soloer and good group. Great class for casual players.

Ranger - If you like outdoor zones, then they are a great choice. I love having a Ranger as a puller in outdoor zones. If they are top notch, they will have the next mob to the group the moment the previous mob drops. If not, they can take a hit or two, root it, snare it. Obviously tracking is very handy depending on what your group is capable of taking down (reds, yellows, white, or only blues).

Sounds like you like damage, so my advice on other classes would be Monk, Necro. Both can solo, both will serve as DPS in a group.
Last edited by eqravenprince; 04-11-2017 at 04:57 PM..
Old 04-11-2017, 08:04 PM
Planar Protector

Mage, shaman, necro, enchanter are all very effective group members as well as soloists.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:02 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serowin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know its unorthodox but I love to solo on my warrior. I just solo'd all of 38 in the overthere using a combination of bow kiting and zerking.
You need to twink out a bit but nothing beats it.
I didn't realize warriors could solo. What do you do, BW to reduce downtime and take one mob at a time?

How is tanking in groups? I heard Warriors have a hard time with that until higher levels.
Closed Thread