Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 07-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Large Bat

For AVG users just add dsetup.dll to your exceptions list. Should run fine after that.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Banned

So, while this file tends to raise red flags on some AV programs, the devs can't actually talk about what it specifically does because then that gives cheaters a leg-up on coming up with the next workaround. I get that. But, maybe devs can answer some questions about things that it doesn't do?

Specifically: Does this file (or any files in the p99 setup) have the ability to capture and/or transmit the contents of our display(s) either locally or to a remote location? I only ask this again because I have had repeated issues with input lag that feels *exactly* the same as when I am sharing my screen for work or via OBS for twitch. Just answer this question and I'll take my tinfoil hat off, crumple it up into a ball, and put it in the recycling bin. Thank you in advance. Sorry for the tin.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Planar Protector

Avast! and Bitdefender don't flag it, and those are two of the better free antivirus solutions out there.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 07-09-2014, 12:37 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portasaurus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, while this file tends to raise red flags on some AV programs, the devs can't actually talk about what it specifically does because then that gives cheaters a leg-up on coming up with the next workaround. I get that. But, maybe devs can answer some questions about things that it doesn't do?

Specifically: Does this file (or any files in the p99 setup) have the ability to capture and/or transmit the contents of our display(s) either locally or to a remote location? I only ask this again because I have had repeated issues with input lag that feels *exactly* the same as when I am sharing my screen for work or via OBS for twitch. Just answer this question and I'll take my tinfoil hat off, crumple it up into a ball, and put it in the recycling bin. Thank you in advance. Sorry for the tin.
Not sure if you'll get an answer. Rogean had made a post in the past in response you can look up. I will say from what I know it doesn't do that at all. If it does other shady things I wouldn't have rl friends playing on the server, along with myself.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:31 PM
Planar Protector

gosh darn i hate cheaters
Old 07-09-2014, 03:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrotos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure if you'll get an answer. Rogean had made a post in the past in response you can look up. I will say from what I know it doesn't do that at all. If it does other shady things I wouldn't have rl friends playing on the server, along with myself.
So confirming there is no way it can capture my banking passwords etc? I've honestly started thinking about building a box that literally only runs P99 in it so I dont have to worry about what this DLL is doing (ie: wont do my online banking, bills etc on it)
Old 07-09-2014, 03:33 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacab-101 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The file is obfuscated, and has two anti-cracking methods put into place; the first is the encryption and the block against .NET Reflector editing, it jumbles up the text and actively block compilers there are ways around that but I won't post that here.

The second is when it's edited a Project1999 pop-up comes up that says "this file has been corrupted, modified, and changed" as well as the DLL-2 error that pops up; the trick here is to maintain the file integrity and size; since most of the file has bullshit hex for filler (the lines upon lines of CC CC CC CC CC and 00 00 00 00 00) that must be maintained to keep the file from being rejected by the p99 client.

DLL has been cracked it's not hard at all.
Which part of the machine code is the one that detects precisely repeating commands like something that autofire would do.

Guild Leader of <Asgard> The home of the gods!
Lightyear/Artah
Old 07-09-2014, 03:56 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So confirming there is no way it can capture my banking passwords etc? I've honestly started thinking about building a box that literally only runs P99 in it so I dont have to worry about what this DLL is doing (ie: wont do my online banking, bills etc on it)
Unless the countless times we talked about it has changed, no one can gain access of any personal information or anything. It only has to do with eq.

GMs/Guides can't even read tells/groupchat because Rogean want's to keep the privacy of the players. So I doubt he would go so far where he can be arrested for stealing numbers to bank accounts when he limits the staff to not reading people cyber tells.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ive been thinking of running a virtual machine with only p99 in it. would probably run way better, and could isolate it from my system.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:08 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by phacemeltar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ive been thinking of running a virtual machine with only p99 in it. would probably run way better, and could isolate it from my system.
I run it on a virtual machine sometimes at work, video is slow. Let me know if you find a way to speed it up plz. I'm using VMware Workstation 9.x with a dedicated NIC for that VM.

Guild Leader of <Asgard> The home of the gods!
Lightyear/Artah