Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Kobold

Default Make EQ Look Significantly Better Graphically.

5/31/2014 - All new (and old) projects will be posted at my forum I created. Visit it here P1999 Graphical mods Recent updates to my forum: Akanon completely retextured

I know most people prefer this classic server to appear 100% classic, and although the blurry nostalgic memories of bad textures are nice for a bit, I have found a way to upgrade your textures which significantly improve your visual experience. (currently working on an even larger improvement)

A lot of people have the idea that EQ Titanium already comes with the new textures (I believe Lucin brought these new textures) However, they do not for whatever reason (probably to save space, the new zone files are much bigger in file size)

From 2001: "EverQuest was first released in 1999 with low-resolution 32x32 textures. EverQuest: The Shadows of Luclin will feature 256x256 textures, with some as large as 512x512. The higher-resolution textures will make the game's online fantasy world look more detailed and lifelike. Sony also released new screenshots showing off some of the game's environments using the higher-resolution textures. " - Gamespot.com

So how does one get these new textures?

TUTORIAL:

1.) (optional) Back-up all current .s3d files in your Everquest folder (sort file types by using details view in windows)
2.) Download Textures: http://p99.yourfirefly.com/ (thanks to norova for hosting)

3.) extract RAR to EQ folder C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest (rewrite all)

and you're done! easy right?

-----------------------------------------------
Update 9/8/2013:

Updated character textures
If you're interested in upgrading your character textures, go here: http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...d.php?t=121490

-----------------------------------------------

Texture Comparison:
1. ) In Felwithe: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/65885
2.) Qeynos
- Before :
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

- after :

Screen shots in Freeport (new textures):

(If anyone has texture comparison pictures with kunark, post it and ill add it. I have tested a couple zones and there is clearly a noticeable (good) difference, and the zones are a bit larger in file size just as the old world)
Last edited by Psycher; 05-31-2014 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: Updated links
Old 01-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Fire Giant

wtb screenshots of befor and after :>
Old 01-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Large Rat

yea any SS of what the difference is?
Old 01-30-2010, 02:31 PM
Fire Giant

I just downloaded it, I'll see if i can get some before/after screenies.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Kobold

!

I've been trying to figure out how to get the higher resolution texture files for a while now, as my older install disks are on the other side of the country, thanks!
Last edited by Vanech; 01-30-2010 at 03:50 PM..
Old 01-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Sarnak

if i see that this is important to do ill change until then no

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
lal yellow finally with a worthwhile zing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinamur1999

Did this need to be brought to the forums? no probably not, but now I know that faline is super dramatastic and that yellow is STILL the fuckin man
Old 01-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

They did this right before luclin came out iirc.

Don't remember any sort of complaining about it at the time, I think most people liked the texture update.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Planar Protector

I can just tell that the graphics are a lot better detailed. Thanks for the info dude.

it's like you make the atomic bomb (server) and you don't want to let other countries (guilds) have nuclear secrets (under the radar information). it's gm's business and no one else's or else everyone gets nuked. letting Iran or North Korea beta test and keep the successful nukes, makes other countries uncomfortable.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycher [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know most people prefer this classic server to appear 100% classic, and although the blurry nostalgic memories of bad textures are nice for a bit, I have found a way to upgrade your textures which significantly improve your visual experience.

A lot of people have the idea that EQ Titanium already comes with the new textures (I believe Lucin brought these new textures) However, they do not for whatever reason (probably to save space, the new zone files are much bigger in file size)

So how does one get these new textures?

1.) Simply download the free version of EverQuest Trilogy linked here: http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/content.vm?page=Download

2.) install the game in a different directory then your P1999 EQ titanium directory

3.) Do not run EQ trilogy, open the trilogy directory and sort the folder to view all .s3d files (details view in windows)

4.) Open your project1999 directory and backup your .s3d files just in case of any issues (especially lavastorm and nekulous, I haven’t tested them yet)

5.) After you’ve backed up your files, replace your P1999 .s3d files with your Trilogy files ( drag and drop or copy and paste)

6.) That’s it, now you can delete the Trilogy install files and download files

It might seem like a ridiculous silly process but i found that its very much worth it. Just to reiterate, make sure you back up the files, i have not tested every zone, but so far no issues while traveling around, if there is an issue with a zone, just replace that zone with the back up.

Screen shots:
Nicely done sir
Old 01-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Orc

Thank you!