Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 02:48 PM
Sarnak

Default Easy Exploiting in P99 - The Story of Our Game Economy

I thought the title might draw better attention to the post, but it is actually about exploiting and the state of the games economy and how it got to where it is today.

I'm sure there are many players out there who are curious as to how this server got to where it is today. If you never have been curious, then great, this should be even more of a surprise to you. There are a few power traders out there who have made a boatload of money in game and quite possibly in USD as well from selling items, trading accounts, etc. But the money that was pumped into the economy in the first place to get many of these power sellers started didn't come from a legitimate means.

Now yes, we came to this server knowing everything that Live players did not know when EQ was released in 99. So Manastones were farmed aplenty, kept in guild banks, sold to players for cash or platinum. This is one big part of how the economy was jumpstarted in P99. When Kunark dropped in Live, I don't remember the kind of economy or massive trading going on that is going on here, do you? I can tell you that the amount of platinum and items in our servers economy are probably tenfold of that which was on a live server around the beginning of the Kunark era.

Secondly, we know that gold drops in this game are not on par with Live EQ. There are way too many low level mobs dropping a platinum per kill, didn't happen in Live, and you know it.

This is only HALF of the explanation, here comes the part you probably DON'T know about

In the early months of this servers life, there were plenty of exploits that were found by myself and other players. Most, if not *all* (I THINK), were eventually corrected, and a small number of players (some, not all) were banned for their participation. I've never seen a thread on it that is still alive, I just wanted to bring it back to light if it's been said before. I knew about this, as did a couple of other people I played with originally.

Before Sol Ro, the Jewelcraft NPCs were...a little effed up to say the least. There was this little jewel called a Fire Opal that wasn't supposed to be sold by NPCs, it was either droppable, or purchasable in SolRo for more than what it was worth. However, at the time, a player geared in CHA gear with a decent JC skill and a little start up money could make a shit-ass-ton of money overnight. This exploit basically involved purchasing stacks of fire opals and silver bars, creating a statless ring, and selling them back to the merchant for more than what you paid for the combines. Before you post anything about how time consuming this could be for a meager amount of extra coin, I'd like to introduce something called a "Recordable Macro" program, which can easily be installed, for free, and then create a drag and click macro to basically purchase 1 stack of fire opals, 1 stack of silver bars, combine them 1 at a time, then sell them back to the Jewelcraft NPC.

Now, how much money could one make doing this, you ask? Between 5-10k per hour or so, depending upon the reliability of the server. It wasn't always stable, and we had a fit with DDOS'ing asshats for a good while, I'm sure everyone remembers. So basically, you could go to sleep at night, wake up the next morning with a smooth 50k. I knew of a few players who did this, names excluded and they no longer player, who pumped so much money into the fledging servers economy it was ridiculous. For a time, I thought it would be figured out and all those involved banned, but no. It was too far into the game for a server restart, so it went on. I can safely say I know of at least 1 million plat made this way pumped into the economy purchasing bags full of GEBs, Manastones, and the like, as well as using for the purchase of level 50 accounts once people started selling them on the forums.

This post isn't aimed toward ruining the game for anyone, or pissing any individuals involved off, none were named. I simply wanted to try to give an explanation as to why things are the way they are today. I also know that there are probably more people who knew about this who also used similar tactics to replicate the exact same thing. I feel that while shedding light on this situation now, after all this time has elapsed, isn't exactly necessary, but I figured it would be a good story to tell some of the newer players, or those of you who didn't know what was going on, so things make a little more sense when you see certain guys running around with hundreds of thousands if not millions of plat. I can promise you it wasn't all earned legitimately. It is now, but it stems from dirty money.

P.S. - Don't ban me. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I thought the title might draw better attention to the post, but it is actually about exploiting and the state of the games economy and how it got to where it is today.

I'm sure there are many players out there who are curious as to how this server got to where it is today. If you never have been curious, then great, this should be even more of a surprise to you. There are a few power traders out there who have made a boatload of money in game and quite possibly in USD as well from selling items, trading accounts, etc. But the money that was pumped into the economy in the first place to get many of these power sellers started didn't come from a legitimate means.

Now yes, we came to this server knowing everything that Live players did not know when EQ was released in 99. So Manastones were farmed aplenty, kept in guild banks, sold to players for cash or platinum. This is one big part of how the economy was jumpstarted in P99. When Kunark dropped in Live, I don't remember the kind of economy or massive trading going on that is going on here, do you? I can tell you that the amount of platinum and items in our servers economy are probably tenfold of that which was on a live server around the beginning of the Kunark era.

Secondly, we know that gold drops in this game are not on par with Live EQ. There are way too many low level mobs dropping a platinum per kill, didn't happen in Live, and you know it.

This is only HALF of the explanation, here comes the part you probably DON'T know about

In the early months of this servers life, there were plenty of exploits that were found by myself and other players. Most, if not *all* (I THINK), were eventually corrected, and a small number of players (some, not all) were banned for their participation. I've never seen a thread on it that is still alive, I just wanted to bring it back to light if it's been said before. I knew about this, as did a couple of other people I played with originally.

Before Sol Ro, the Jewelcraft NPCs were...a little effed up to say the least. There was this little jewel called a Fire Opal that wasn't supposed to be sold by NPCs, it was either droppable, or purchasable in SolRo for more than what it was worth. However, at the time, a player geared in CHA gear with a decent JC skill and a little start up money could make a shit-ass-ton of money overnight. This exploit basically involved purchasing stacks of fire opals and silver bars, creating a statless ring, and selling them back to the merchant for more than what you paid for the combines. Before you post anything about how time consuming this could be for a meager amount of extra coin, I'd like to introduce something called a "Recordable Macro" program, which can easily be installed, for free, and then create a drag and click macro to basically purchase 1 stack of fire opals, 1 stack of silver bars, combine them 1 at a time, then sell them back to the Jewelcraft NPC.

Now, how much money could one make doing this, you ask? Between 5-10k per hour or so, depending upon the reliability of the server. It wasn't always stable, and we had a fit with DDOS'ing asshats for a good while, I'm sure everyone remembers. So basically, you could go to sleep at night, wake up the next morning with a smooth 50k. I knew of a few players who did this, names excluded and they no longer play, who pumped so much money into the fledging servers economy it was ridiculous. For a time, I thought it would be figured out and all those involved banned, but no. It was too far into the game for a server restart, so it went on. I can safely say I know of at least 1 million plat made this way pumped into the economy purchasing bags full of GEBs, Manastones, and the like, as well as using for the purchase of level 50 accounts once people started selling them on the forums.

This post isn't aimed toward ruining the game for anyone, or pissing any individuals involved off, none were named. I simply wanted to try to give an explanation as to why things are the way they are today. I also know that there are probably more people who knew about this who also used similar tactics to replicate the exact same thing. I feel that while shedding light on this situation now, after all this time has elapsed, isn't exactly necessary, but I figured it would be a good story to tell some of the newer players, or those of you who didn't know what was going on, so things make a little more sense when you see certain guys running around with hundreds of thousands if not millions of plat. I can promise you it wasn't all earned legitimately. It is now, but it stems from dirty money.

P.S. - Don't ban me. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-31-2011, 02:52 PM
Sarnak

Didn't mean to quote myself, meant to correct something, sorry.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:53 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to naez Send a message via AIM to naez Send a message via MSN to naez Send a message via Yahoo to naez

GMs ban this asshole please

(not for exploiting but triple post)
Old 03-31-2011, 02:54 PM
Sarnak

Lol. I clicked the quote button thinking it was "Edit post". To my surprise, it wasn't.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:55 PM
Sarnak

uhh the economy seems pretty okay to me. if you don't think there were exploits that generated a bunch of plat back on live too you're fooling yourself.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:56 PM
Banned

Surprised there isn't a plat graph yet.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Sarnak

I didn't say there weren't. I was much less knowledgeable concerning Live exploits because they were likely contained better or I just had no idea what was going on.

I'm also not stating the economy of the game is ruined, I'm simply stating it came to fruition much quicker than it most likely would have otherwise.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:01 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to naez Send a message via AIM to naez Send a message via MSN to naez Send a message via Yahoo to naez

<insert 1 guy 1 jar here>
Old 03-31-2011, 03:01 PM
Banned

you have to view source for the surprise
Closed Thread